PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Media Watch of CrossTown pt1

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 09:27 AM
This is just a quick snapshot, but Kileys "Column" yesterday,
in which he is calling on a new stadium for Wrigley if theyre
to be "champions", and his "Baiting" of Cub fans
for Lowell to be in a cub uniform by July 31, got me Fired Up.
Decided to check the NewsPapers, see how they Reported this. Surely now, both teams playing each other could only mean EQUAL COVERAGE RIGHT? Not. What I found Interesting, is the Sox Win on Saturday, was reported in the suntimes this way.... AS WENDELL KIMS FAULT.
Not a big sox victory, but a TERRIBLE CRUSHING CUB LOSS.
IN Sundays Sun-Times:

8 Cub Stories (4 related to kims "call")
4 Sox Stories
Sunday also included the Obligatory story of the lovely Dutchie
Caray, and some of her recipes. CUBFLUFF.

On Monday, when the Cubs got a win, thanks to Manuels bp call,
this is how the Sun-Times reported it. "Wendell gets Wave"
in giant letters.

6 Cub Stories (again, 4 more stories regarding Kim as a Hero)
3 Sox Stories

I couldnt believe what I was reading. Utterly APPALLING. If
anyone reads Sundays and Mondays Sun-Times, and Still Thinks
THE MEDIA COVERAGE IN CHICAGO IS FAIR TO THE SOX, Id have
to say your living under a Rock. Funny interview with Dusty
Baker yesterday. He said after Saturdays gut wrenching loss,
he felt bad because his Neighbors, his Doorman, everyone in the City was "Down" and Feeling Bad...and how the City needed the
victory sunday to feel good again. Message to Dusty: the Other Half of the city was dancing in the streets. Get A Clue. You guys arent the only thing in town. Dustys a bit PRESUMPTIOUS eh?

Blueprint1
06-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Everyone must have thought the Russians were coming on the North side.

soxrme
06-25-2003, 09:58 AM
As the chipper said the Sox are coming to town.

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 10:00 AM
The Media Coverage/Slant in this town is APPALLING.

TommyJohn
06-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Decided to check the NewsPapers, see how they Reported this. Surely now, both teams playing each other could only mean EQUAL COVERAGE RIGHT? Not. What I found Interesting, is the Sox Win on Saturday, was reported in the suntimes this way.... AS WENDELL KIMS FAULT.
IN Sundays Sun-Times:

4 Sox Stories

in giant letters.

3 Sox Stories

he felt bad because his Neighbors, his Doorman, everyone in the City was "Down" and Feeling Bad...and how the City needed the
victory sunday to feel good again. Message to Dusty: the Other Half of the city was dancing in the streets. Get A Clue. You guys arent the only thing in town. Dustys a bit PRESUMPTIOUS eh?

The one article I absolutely had to laugh at was Rick Telander's
Monday article about sensitive widdle Wendy Kim weeping tears
of joy after he waved home the winning run and he didn't get
thrown out by 50 feet like Damian "Demon Speed" Miller. Oh,
Joy!! Oh, Vindication!!

Oh, puke.

TornLabrum
06-25-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
The one article I absolutely had to laugh at was Rick Telander's
Monday article about sensitive widdle Wendy Kim weeping tears
of joy after he waved home the winning run and he didn't get
thrown out by 50 feet like Damian "Demon Speed" Miller. Oh,
Joy!! Oh, Vindication!!

Oh, puke.

Oh, brother!

1951Campbell
06-25-2003, 11:05 AM
I would be all for baiting the media with nasty signs at the Cell this weekend, if I could go. :whiner:

xil357
06-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
IN Sundays Sun-Times:

4 Sox Stories

in giant letters.

3 Sox Stories

Kiley made me want to vomit, partly because I own a book of his that he wrote about covering the 85 Sox. Didn't he quit to cover horse racing or something like that after 85, because the baseball beat was too much?

His theory about Wrigley is all mixed up. His stats -- he only cites batting average -- are completely misleading.

First, he needs to look at visiting teams' combined batting averages when they visit Wrigley field. Looking only at Cubs batting averages does not account for the fact that perhaps the Cubs just have not had as many players who have hit for average since their last WS appearance as other teams.

What the Cubs home batting average says is, that is how the CUBS have hit in WRIGLEY since 1945. What have visiting teams done? And how does that compare to the league wide collective batting average for the entire NL since 1945?

Second, he only addresses batting average, which we all know is only one component of offense in baseball.

Batting average may very well be lower at Wrigley. This could be a result of several factors:

1. The grass is cut high at Wrigley to slow down ground balls. This helped cement Sandberg's and Grace's reputation as great fielders. They were good defensively to begin with, but the tall grass helped them. Slower grounders allow the infielders just a split-second more to get to balls in the gaps, making outs more likely.

2. Because the fences are so short at Wrigley, and foul territory is so small, outfielders can play a step or two closer to the infield. This allows a few more line drives to right field to be quickly fired from the right fielder to the first baseman to catch a slow-footed batter off guard as he ambles to 1B for an out. Andre Dawson, who had a strong arm, took advantage of this many times. However, this factor will hurt the Cubs more...

3. ... because the fences are short and therefore the Cubs historically have tried to get more power hitters, many of whom are slow-footed. They are more susceptible to being thrown out from shallow to middle right field on short line drives to right. And more significantly...

4. ... because they often try to fill their teams with power hitters (Candy Moldanado, Glenallen Hill, George Bell, Andre Dawson, etc.), Cubs hitters generally are going to be slower of foot simply because there aren't many players who are both super fast and can hit the ball a country mile. These slower hitters are not going to beat out many infield hits.

5. Many players have come to the Cubs because they think they hit better during the day. Therefore, BY DEFINITION, such players are going to struggle more during night games, if only for psychological reasons. The Cubs this year, performing better on the road than at home, may have more players who perform better at night and who don't play as well during the day.

6. Power hitters, by nature, are going to swing for the fences more. Therefore, they are going to hit more fly outs and they are going to strike out more. This will drop Cubs batting averages as well.

Third, Kiley does not address power numbers, only batting average. He didn't bring up the small foul territory (which results in fewer pop foul and foul fly outs) and therefore longer at-bats, the relatively high elevation of Chicago when compared to most other stadiums (Colorado and Atlanta being notable exceptions), the fact that rising air of the daytime makes balls stay in the air longer and therefore more likely to carry out for home runs, and the obscenely short outfield fences in the power alleys of left-center and right-center. Wrigley has deep foul dimensions but the OF wall actually ANGLES IN TOWARD HOME PLATE as you move toward center. Perhaps meteorologically the wind blows in more than it blows out. But this just means that Cubs power hitters who are swinging for the fences are going to lose home runs to fly outs on those games that the wind is howling in at 25 knots. On those days when the wind is calm or blowing out, the ball has a much greater chance of leaving the field than at any other stadium in the MLB.

Kiley doens't bring these aspects up because (choose):

1. He is making an argument and doesn't want to be bothered with all the facts, just those that support his particular claim.

2. He is an unabashed Cub-lover who is seeking any possible excuse for their history of futility.

3. He knows the truth, but glosses it over because his editors won't let any copy slip through that exposes the truth that the Cubs have sucked for years.

4. He and his editors don't want to piss off what they believe is a monolithic mass of mindless morons, the exact demographic the Sun Times is chasing because they are easily parted from their money, so they write a fluff "controversy" piece to bait the audience.

Wrigley may very well be one of the reasons for the Cubs overall lack of success. But it is because the management until recently has not put together a team built for their home park and promoting the park at the expense of improving the team, Cubs hitters have swung for the short fences resulting in high strikeout and flyout rates (a trait that they take with them when they go on the road, too), and Cubs pitchers have served up fat pitches that visiting teams have cranked over the short fences at alarming rates.

Wrigley's numbers may make it appear that it is not a "hitters' park." However, these stats are collected and cited selectively rather than examined objectively. The stats are not figured to account for the fact that the Cubs have half the at-bats in the park, where the rest of the league shares the other half. The Cubs stats unfairly weight the stats of the ballpark.

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 12:52 PM
Excellent Rebuttal XIL35.
as for that Lazy Sports"writer" Kiley, I go with door #2

FJA
06-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Everyone must have thought the Russians were coming on the North side.

LMAO :D: