PDA

View Full Version : Valantine stinks

soxfan45
06-25-2003, 08:02 AM
I have been as strong a Jose V. fan as ever and have been willing to overlook some of his defensive shortcomings, but come on, this continued lack of concentration his obvious defensive shortcomings doesn't warrent him in the lineup.

I can think of several games that Valentine blew, the one that most sticks in my head is that game in Cleveland where he dropped that little fly ball that hit him in the palm of the glove while he was backpeddling.
Yes, we got away with one last night but this kind of coming up mentally short in the field in big games is prototypical Valentine.
Hawk and DJ were kind last night with that missed tag that he had on that double. And then the double play. Its lack of concentration.

My friends, when you are playing the league leader, you can't afford bone-head plays by the most important position player in the field.

Also, I think the Jimenez could use a few lessons about how to sacrifice, or even approach an at bat with a man on 2nd and nobody out. I'm telling you, Jimenez and Valantine have got to go. I don't care if its Sidney Ponson or Royce Clayton, these 2 are not on their toes either mentally or physically.

Why not give Graffy a shot.

Gumshoe
06-25-2003, 09:26 AM
MORONS, it's Valentin

that is VAL-EN-TEEN ... with an accent on the last syllable. It's not Valentine as in former Mets Manager or the Hallmark holiday. Please get this right.

As for Jose, he's been playing well lately. I'm not sure he would have even had Jones on the DP. And Jimenez sucked up both of those grounders really well consider how hard they were hit on that turf. Jimenez is fine.

Gumshoe

THE_HOOTER
06-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Valentin has been playing well lately?

Please back this up with facts.

The only thing he has done in the last few weeks is through out Miller during Saturdays game.

He is god-awful in the field, and his hitting right now is horrible too.

I don't agree about Jimenez either. He cannot sacrifice, and now that he isnt hitting, he is not an everyday player.

He has his head up his ass on the base paths, and in the field.

all he can do is hit, and if he isnt hitting he's worthless.

balz1472
06-25-2003, 10:20 AM
I would tend to agree w/ Hooter... Valentin was okay to deal with when he was hitting, but he has NOT been HITTING! If he were making up for his mistakes with his bat like he did in 2000 I wouldn't have such a problem with it.
Actually, until yesterday I thought he was still hitting in the mid-200s (.250-260), but then I saw that horrid .229 BA and that is sick. And his 10 Errors aren't anything to write home about (96% fielding pct).

I'd have to agree we now have a middle infield that consists of 2 Valentin's ... If they produce at the plate to overcome their other mental mishaps... that's great, but if not... we have to have guys who can hit .225 but still get the job done when they do get on base or do get the ball hit/thrown to them.