PDA

View Full Version : Sosa back on 'Roids?

Irishsox1
06-25-2003, 12:55 AM
From what I understand Sammy didn't get to build up the 'roids during spring training like he did in the past due to the new drug testing. But to my knowledge, the drug testing is done and Sammy can get back on the 'roids. He hit a monster blast on Monday. Does anyone know if the Cubs are done with steroid tests for the year?

MHOUSE
06-25-2003, 12:57 AM
He hit two homers on Tuesday bringing his grand total to 9. His first at Wrigley since April. If he is an allstar I am going to puke.

ilsox7
06-25-2003, 01:06 AM
He's basically a lock to be a starter in the All-Star game according to the vote totals as of this weekend. Unless there is a big boycott of voting for him b/c of corkgate. Look on the bright side: he will get massively Booed on a national stage.

cheeses_h_rice
06-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Didn't Kerry Wood hit a homer, too?

It was 90 degrees and the wind was blowing out -- 'nuf said.

dickallen15
06-25-2003, 10:32 AM
He had the elements working for him, but he probably visited Canseco during his suspension.

whitesoxwilkes
06-25-2003, 10:41 AM
I was there last night...that shot Sosa hit was unreal. It just kept going up up up...but it had a lot of help from a warm stiff breeze.

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
I was there last night...that shot Sosa hit was unreal. It just kept going up up up...but it had a lot of help from a warm stiff breeze.

I thought about that when I saw how freaking hot it was yesterday. Then I thought about Kileys Column. And how I
wanted to smack him in the face with a rolled up Sun-Times
for suggesting the weather "hurts" the cubs. ALSO
lets not forget, it was the BREWERS they were playing, Americas
Favorite Batting Practice Pitchers, and soon to be the next
100 Loss team again....

THE_HOOTER
06-25-2003, 10:51 AM
The wind blows in more than it blows out at Wrigley field.

Unfortunately, its a fact.

voodoochile
06-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
The wind blows in more than it blows out at Wrigley field.

Unfortunately, its a fact.

No shock to anyone who has ever lived close to the lake. What makes Wrigley appear to be a hitters park is that when it blows out, you get those 15-14, 23-22 type scores. The legend is built because of a few amazing games.

It's not called the Windy City for nothing - even if the wind isn't the original reason for the nickname...

fquaye149
06-25-2003, 06:30 PM
when it blows in, it doesn't particularly hold up line SHOTS...but when it does blow out...that's when warning track sky balls get lifted up up out of here. so that's why it's an advantage: your real homeruns never get taken away by the wind, but when it's blowing out you also get your lousy shots to be homeruns

RKMeibalane
06-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Let's imagine for a moment that Sosa continues his recent upswing and begins hitting homeruns with greater frequency over the next few weeks. I could see the following scenario unfolding:

After batting practice, Sosa is approached by a reporter... Lisa Guerrero, for example. The interview progresses like this:

Lisa:

"Sammy, you have more than doubled your homerun total over the past two weeks. Are you at all surprised that your power numbers have increased so rapidly?"

:shammy

"No, Lisa. I've always been able to hit homeruns. For whatever reason, I've started hitting them again."

Lisa:

"Have you spent any extra time in batting cage, working with the hitting instructor?"

"Not really. I've never been the type of player to need special help from a coach."

Lisa: (slightly put off by that remark)

"Can you name anything specific that has been the difference for you?"

(pauses) "No, Lisa. To be honest, I'm not sure if there has been a difference between now and what I was doing two weeks ago."

Lisa:

"Yet you seem to be hitting balls harder and farther, much as you did last season."

(silence)

Lisa:

"Sammy?"

(scowls and walks away angry)