PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez traded to Expos

Vsahajpal
06-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Juan Gonzalez has been traded to Montreal, wonder how serious Vlad's injury is.

gosox41
06-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
Juan Gonzalez has been traded to Montreal, wonder how serious Vlad's injury is.

I'm surprised by this. I thought Juan had a no trade clause in his contract. Why go to Montreal of all places?

Bob

Spiff
06-24-2003, 05:15 PM
it's gonna be at least a couple of weeks for vlad, but the situation is better than they first thought, which was that he'd be out for a few months. i wonder what happens when vlad comes back, whether they move wilkerson to center or trade gonzalez again. btw juan has a no-trade clause so he can turn it down if he chooses.

Vsahajpal
06-24-2003, 05:16 PM
He's also a native Puerto Rican, so he may accept. I believe MLB wants to schedule more games at Hiram Bithorn next year.

SoxxoS
06-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Carlos Lee, Dan Wright and Matt Ginter for Vlad?

Saracen
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Juando has not accepted this yet.

Montreal does have 3 things in its favor though: the Puerto Rico connection, the fact that his mentor Omar Minaya is with Montreal, and the fact that there is no pressure to perform in Montreal - Juan would never accept a trade to a team with pressure.

From a Sox fan living in Dallas - good riddance Juando - you've been a whining dog for years.

MRKARNO
06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
In Detroit Didnt they move in the fences at Comerica Park this year after his whining, just to see him get injured and bolt?

RKMeibalane
06-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
In Detroit Didnt they move in the fences at Comerica Park this year after his whining, just to see him get injured and bolt?

Yes, they did.

dickallen15
06-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

They moved the fences in this year, but this is his 3rd year out of there. Although, I think when they offered him a contract, they told him they would move the fences in for him. He left anyway, but who can blame him, that team sucks and is going to suck for a long time. I read on I think ESPN insider that scouts think they only have 2 players in the minors who can be above average major leagers.

RKMeibalane
06-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They moved the fences in this year, but this is his 3rd year out of there. Although, I think when they offered him a contract, they told him they would move the fences in for him. He left anyway, but who can blame him, that team sucks and is going to suck for a long time. I read on I think ESPN insider that scouts think they only have 2 players in the minors who can be above average major leagers.

Detroit's situation is yet more proof that teams who are run by apathetic owners have little or no chance of being competitive in this day and age. Fortunately, the Sox don't have that problem.

:reinsy

"Why the sarcasm? I haven't done anything wrong."

:hurt

"You haven't done anything, period, Jerry."

Saracen
06-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Apparently Juando is rejecting the deal. Doesn't want to play in the NL nor on Astroturf.

RKMeibalane
06-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
Apparently Juando is rejecting the deal. Doesn't want to play in the NL nor on Astroturf.

I can't say that I blame him. Gonzalez has had a history of injuries, so playing on an artificial surface probably isn't the best thing for him. Neither is playing in a league where there is no designated hitter.

fquaye149
06-24-2003, 10:07 PM
i think the thing might be montreal will not be able to pay him the money he wants. too bad, cuz the expos ahve a shot at postseason...esp. with him...and he will not see any october ball with texas for quite a while

TheRockinMT
06-24-2003, 10:22 PM
It is my guess he won't accept the trade. It may be more his agent's doing than Juan gone's, but he won't move. Plus it seems his family lives in the Dallas area. He may still be traded to someone he wants to play for... any guesses?

Saracen
06-24-2003, 10:30 PM
He won't go to a contender. We already know that from the Yankees failed bid a couple years ago. He is terrified of playing in the spotlight. That eliminates the Dodgers.

And he doesn't want an NL team because of no DH. It can only be to a crappy AL team.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Juan is doing good in Texas this year, and its a contract year for him. Why would Juan Gone want to change scenery and possibly mess his good season up? This is Juan Gonzalez they are dealing with here.

MHOUSE
06-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Apparently he is going to reject the trade because he has never played in the NL before. He has 72 hours to accept or reject it. His agent says no, but he hasn't commented. He sat out tonights game though. Is the pitching prospect going the other way any good. I know Texas needs pitching badly. Why is Juan expendable, he has 50 RBIs all ready. Are they giving up the chase?

Saracen
06-25-2003, 06:48 AM
Just from listening to the talkshows down here, Juan is a clubhouse cancer - John Hart is worried his attitude will rub off on players like Texeira & Blalock.

Additionally, Tom Hicks is slashing payroll for both the Rangers & the Dallas Stars, so this is a good opportunity.

And third, they can pick up some pitching. The 2 prospects involved in this trade are B & C level prospects.