PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Cell's location

SoxxoS
06-24-2003, 12:51 PM
I was going to my cousins birthday party last week, and we look Lake St all the way down past Medinah. On the way there, my dad mentioned that the Sox were considering actually building the park on the huge chunk of land near Medinah CC. He is a Cubs fan, however, so anything baseball related he tells me I take with a grain of salt.

I was only 9 in 1991, so I had no idea about where they were going to possibly put the park. Was this seriously in consideration? Imagine the fans every game if they would have put the park there rather than it's current location. I speak on behalf of a lof of Dupage County Sox fans on saying I would go to A LOT more games had the park been by Medinah ( I don't know the name of that town, so that is why I am mentioning Medinah all the time). I would bet 30-40,000 every nite if the park was there, EASY. Can someone elaborate on this? I am really interested as to why Reinsdorf wouldn't do it (although I have some idea$.)

SoxxoS
06-24-2003, 12:54 PM
I just asked my dad and he said the would-be town most likely is Bloomingdale.

Procol Harum
06-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Addison, actually is the town wherein the stadium was to be built, reflecting studies that showed that the center of the Sox fan base had moved to the 'burbs. This time it's not entirely Reinsdorf's fault for a change (unless one counts the fact that the Sox probably blew the pr campaign to win over the townsfolk). At any rate, the whole deal was put up for some sort of a vote and the good burghers of Addison voted it all down by a fairly narrow margin. Much of the concern was about traffic (ironic in the fact that a ginat multiplex cinema now occupies part of the site and feeds mucho traffic into the area 365 days a year as opposed to 81 days a year), and I've also heard there were vague, unarticulated fears about hordes of South Side blacks descending upon the area. However, that latter charge is only hearsay and may well reflect the knee-jerk need by some to charge white suburbanites with racism in every possible situation.

At any rate, speaking as a DuPager, I too felt this was yet another major misfortune in the recent troubled decades of the Sox franchise. If the Sox were in Addison I surely would have gone to a lot more games over the years (although the current prices would have put a stop to that!). Getting to the Cell from west-central DuPage is a stinkin' traffic nightmare.

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I just asked my dad and he said the would-be town most likely is Bloomingdale.

The land the Sox wanted to build the new ball park on was in Addison.

Hangar18
06-24-2003, 01:03 PM
Actually, the Sox had the land in mind in ADDISON IL.
It wouldve been right there, among some major thoroughfares,
and surprisingly enough, the Stadium wouldve looked
EXACTLY the same as it does today. They were looking for
some Major Concessions on the land there, and at the last
second, the deal fell thru.

MRKARNO
06-24-2003, 01:14 PM
It's good that it wasnt put in Addison because then the stadium would have been too far from myself and I might have been raised as a Cubs fan! (Due to Wrigley's proximity to downtown). The major reason I became a sox fan was that my dad is a sox fan and he was able to take me to at least 5 games a year pretty early in my life. If the Sox had moved to addison, they would have less in-city fans which would have made a worse media situation for them

Hangar18
06-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
It's good that it wasnt put in Addison because then the stadium would have been too far from myself and I might have been raised as a Cubs fan! (Due to Wrigley's proximity to downtown). The major reason I became a sox fan was that my dad is a sox fan and he was able to take me to at least 5 games a year pretty early in my life. If the Sox had moved to addison, they would have less in-city fans which would have made a worse media situation for them

that might be true, but on the other hand, the chicago Metropolitan area has exploded population wise. The US has
grown away from a Rural country back in the day to an Urban
one. there are just as many in the burbs as there are in
the actual city itself.

Procol Harum
06-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
that might be true, but on the other hand, the chicago Metropolitan area has exploded population wise. The US has
grown away from a Rural country back in the day to an Urban
one. there are just as many in the burbs as there are in
the actual city itself.

And the Addison site would have been near-ideal for giving those suburban Sox fans decent access to the team (I-355, Rt. 53, I-294 [into which feeds I-55 and I-57], Lake St.,) instead of the horrors that are the Eisenhower (Hillside Strangler!!!) and the Dan Stinkin' Ryan.

Viva Magglio
06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Actually, IIRC, opposition from then-State Sen. James "Pate" Philip killed the Addison deal ultimately. I am not sure I'd would have wanted them in Addision. I would have preferred the ballpark to be in the South Loop, but I have no problem with where it presently is.

FJA
06-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

Addison is also a tollway pain for the South/Southwest burbs, and having lived in the SW burbs my entire life, I can tell you that's A LOT of fans ... I, for one, don't think I'd make it to as many games, and as it is, I already make it to more than most people I know.

Also, there is the problem with public transportation. Even though it's Metra to Red Line if you want to do it from the burbs, that is not as bad a trip as everyone makes it out to be. I also know a lot of S/SW suburbanites who work downtown and take the Red Line for games.

Without the central "attraction" of downtown, summertime attendence might also be low. Some people, for instance, might go to the Taste or "free day" at the museums during the day, and take the Red Line to the game at night.

On a side note, I don't think anyone would ever complain about the location of the Cell if there was a proper tribute to the old stadium/neighborhood. Right now, it's not in a "hip" neighborhood, but there's absolutely no sense of history as to WHY the stadium is in the neighborhood it is.

Procol Harum
06-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Actually, IIRC, opposition from then-State Sen. James "Pate" Philip killed the Addison deal ultimately. I am not sure I'd would have wanted them in Addision. I would have preferred the ballpark to be in the South Loop, but I have no problem with where it presently is.

Pate certainly had his fingerprints all over this, but the ultimate coup de grace came from the Addison folk themselves.

South Loop would be a lot better for most people than the current site--the possibilities for framing the downtown skyline in the outfield background would have been awesome. But then again, Reinsdorf and crew would probably have pointed the Stadium in the opposite direction.

As for FJA's comments on folks in the south and sw burbs: the Tollway is small traffic potatoes compared to Chicago's expressways, no matter what direction you're coming from. Give me 20 miles on I-294 over 10 on the Stevenson anyday.

SoxxoS
06-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys-

White Stocking
06-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, because I may be crossing up Bear stadium plans as well; but I think the Sox were also discussing the Arlington Park location - in the late eighties the land was vacant due to the fire which destroyed it's predecesor, but there was a period where Ducheseu wasn't going to rebuild because he wanted slot machines (which he willl eventually get). As much as I would love to have the Sox in Arlington Heights - Arlington Park is the most beautiful horse racing facility in the world, and it is great to have - either one works for me because the commute isn't that horrible to Comiskey - at least we have parking and easy access.

valposoxfan
06-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Comiskey Park was going to be built in Addison. I live a half a mile from the site that was going to be used to build it. It's Lake and Medinah Road, about a quarter mile from Rohlwing Rd. It is true, it was going to built in Addison. This was a very serious consideration.

soxnut
06-24-2003, 07:52 PM
Well I'm glad the park is where it is. I am so tired of all the western suburbanites getting everything......it's like the rest of us don't exist. My God if people didn't complain about the new metra rail plan....the south subs would have been left out.....again. :(:

Anyway, the area that the ballpark is in is going through a slow revitalization process.....I can't wait to see it in about 5 years. :smile: