PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Steve Kemp?

white sox bill
06-24-2003, 09:02 AM
I was in Helena Montana last weekon business and one of my friend and I were riding in a taxi, and my friend who used to play minor league ball in Helena, showed me where the stadium was.

He then went on to say he played for Beloit after that. I told him that Terry Bevington coached there and that he went on to manage the Sox. The cabbie overheard us and said his uncle played for the Sox and it was Steve Kemp.

He also said that Kemp was an arragant A**hole and he didn't like him (of course the cabbie looked like a real loser)and that last he knew, Kemp was in Calif. working for a consulting company.

Wasn't Kemp traded to us for Chet Lemon before the "81 or '82 seasonz?

Just another useless story, and proves this is a small world!

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by white sox bill
I was in Helena Montana last weekon business and one of my friend and I were riding in a taxi, and my friend who used to play minor league ball in Helena, showed me where the stadium was.

He then went on to say he played for Beloit after that. I told him that Terry Bevington coached there and that he went on to manage the Sox. The cabbie overheard us and said his uncle played for the Sox and it was Steve Kemp.

He also said that Kemp was an arragant A**hole and he didn't like him (of course the cabbie looked like a real loser)and that last he knew, Kemp was in Calif. working for a consulting company.

Wasn't Kemp traded to us for Chet Lemon before the "81 or '82 seasonz?

Just another useless story, and proves this is a small world!

I have one mental picture of Steve Kemp that has persisted ever since he played for us: chasing down a fly ball hit over his head...over and over and over again...game after game after game after game....

If he was arrogant, it had nothing to do with his defensive capabilities.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Yes the Sox traded Lemon for him because Roland Hemond knew the Sox needed a more powerful left handed bat in the lineup and he went out and got it.

Kemp drove in 98 runs combining with Greg Luzinski and Harold Baines (both over 100 RBI's) to give the Sox a dynamic, dangerous middle of the order.

Kemp also played the game hard asking no quarter and giving none.

Naturally he signed with the Yankees after the season. Seems a certain owner was already beginning to feel it wasn't worth it to pay free agents.

Lip

Paulwny
06-24-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Naturally he signed with the Yankees after the season. Seems a certain owner was already beginning to feel it wasn't worth it to pay free agents.

Lip

Kemp's power was to left center, he rarely pulled the ball. Left center is death valley in yankee stadium but the yankee brass were confident that their coaches would be able to convert him into a pull hitter.
Kemp was never the same hitter, the beginning of the end of his career.

Brian26
06-24-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm going by memory right now, so someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one...

Somehow, the Sox almost stole Fergie Jenkins from the Cubs, in the ultimate slap in the face, because of Steve Kemp.

The Sox picked up Kemp from Detroit after the '81 season for Chet Lemon. Kemp had a good 1982 season and left as a free agent (to the Yankees).

The Sox received a compensation pick because of this, and they went after Fergie, who was unprotected by the Cubs. In order to agree not to take Fergie, the Sox instead traded Steve Trout and Warren Brusstar to the Cubs for Randy Martz, Tidrow, Fletcher, and Lamp. This was a completely lopsided trade at the time, in favor of the Sox.

Not sure if the Sox compensation pick was waived until the next year...when they chose Tom Seaver from the Reds.

duke of dorwood
06-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Kemp has a good year here, Lemon had several more for Detroit before he quickly faded too.

Lip Man 1
06-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Brian:

Your memory is pretty good. Just to fill in some blanks.

When the Sox lost Kemp they were entitled to select a player off anybody's MLB roster who was NOT protected and in the free agent compensation pool.

They originally wanted Rudy May of the Yankees but being a 5/10 year man he refused to accept the "deal," as was his right.

Roland Hemond then floated the idea publicly that the Sox MIGHT take Ferguson Jenkins whom Dallas Green had left off the Cubs protected roster.

Jenkins was going for a possible 300th win and it would have been a major embarassment to the Cubs if he did it in a Sox uniform.

Green then agreed to a deal where the Sox got Scott Fletcher, Dick Tidrow, Pat Tabler and Randy Martz (who won ten games for the Cubs in 82) in exchange for Steve Trout, Warren Brusstar and the promise NOT to select Jenkins.

Hemond then traded Tabler to Cleveland for Jerry Dybzinski.

See what happens when you have a capable, experienced GM in place?

Lip

Hullett_Fan
06-24-2003, 06:45 PM
Brian:

Green then agreed to a deal where the Sox got Scott Fletcher, Dick Tidrow, Pat Tabler and Randy Martz (who won ten games for the Cubs in 82) in exchange for Steve Trout, Warren Brusstar and the promise NOT to select Jenkins.

Hemond then traded Tabler to Cleveland for Jerry Dybzinski.

See what happens when you have a capable, experienced GM in place?

Lip

I dunno. Hemond traded Tabler (arguably the best of the position players on the list) and Trout who had a good year in '84. Sox are left with Scooter (who had some OK years) and Dybzinski who cost us the '83 playoffs.

TommyJohn
06-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Yes the Sox traded Lemon for him because Roland Hemond knew the Sox needed a more powerful left handed bat in the lineup and he went out and got it.

Kemp drove in 98 runs combining with Greg Luzinski and Harold Baines (both over 100 RBI's) to give the Sox a dynamic, dangerous middle of the order.

Kemp also played the game hard asking no quarter and giving none.

Lip

Mmmmmm. Then he went out and signed Floyd Bannister to a
huge multi-year contract and he gave the Sox one good year
and stunk up the joint the rest of the time. Maybe the need
after the offseason was for a pitcher. Besides the Sox had Ron
Kittle busting the ball in AAA. He had power and more years
ahead of him than Kemp, in theory back then.

Then again, what do I know? DIE, Reinsdorf, you curse to all
humankind!!!!!!

Lip Man 1
06-25-2003, 11:06 AM
Gang:

With respect this was a GREAT deal for the Sox over and above the fact that it caused the Cubs a ton of embarassment.

Think about it...

The Sox didn't need Trout. They had SEVEN good starters in camp already (Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister, Burns, Koosman, martz and Steve Mura who started for the Cardinals in 1982 and was a member of their World Series team). Brusstar was a decent relief pitcher.

In return the Sox got Fletcher who not only helped in 1983 but was a key piece of the 1990 club. Tidrow was solid in the bullpen,
Dibber didn't cost the Sox the 83 playoffs....when you only score three runs in four games you've got serious problems, and without him the Sox might not ever turned the season around. He solidified a very shaky infield. Bill Gleason said he was the key to 1983.

Pat Tabler had a monster first two months of 83, then was never heard from again.

Bannister was a very solid starting pitcher for the Sox for five years before he was traded. The Sox got their moneys worth. Remember those teams in 86, and 87 weren't very good.

Lip