3. Kyle Lohse 3.70
4. Bartolo Colon 3.93
5. Nate Cornejo 4.06
6. Darrell May 4.18
7. Brian Anderson 4.35
8. Jon Garland 4.71
9. Jason Davis 4.82
10. Mark Buerhle 4.90

Minnesota has only one pitcher on the list.
Kansas City also has only one pitcher on this list
Detroit has one on the list
Cleveland has 3 Pitchers on the list

And your Chicago White Sox have 4 of 10

What does this tell us?
First, The starting pitching is VERY weak on all but 2 AL Central teams. Cleveland would be considered the 2nd strongest, but ever their numbers aren't that great. The White Sox by far have the best starting pitching in the divsion.

I've been saying for the past two weeks and I'll say it again, if the sox offense shows some life, the division is ours. No questions asked. Now that we've seen the offense put up some respectable numbers 2 days in a row (and fail in the third), how does everyone really feel about this team?

Thunderstruck30
06-24-2003, 12:12 AM
I feel this team really has a shot at winning the division. The AL Central is the weakest division in baseball. The Sox have a good rotation which is best in the division. The key is offense. I think if the Sox have good fundamental hitting they could make this division interesting. They showed their powerful offense on Friday and the first half of Saturdays game. However after that the offense went back to normal. This team needs to get motivated for the next 9 games because they are some of the biggest games of the year. If only they had won on Sunday they would have great motivation for the series with Minnesota.

delben91
06-24-2003, 08:03 AM
I don't know about everyone else, but I just love being able to enter into discussions about our "strong" starting pitching. Can't remember the last time I used that adjective followed by "starting pitching" on this board in reference to the sox.

However, can't remember the last time I called the offense "anemic" either. Oh well, I was going good for a minute there.

Beat the twins tonight!! GO SOX!!

hold2dibber
06-24-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I've been saying for the past two weeks and I'll say it again, if the sox offense shows some life, the division is ours. No questions asked.

That assumes that the starting pitching will continue to be this good. And of course, it also assumes that the Twins starting pitching won't improve. Twins fans are probably saying "look how crappy our starting pitching has been, and we're still in first place -- if the starting pitching shows some life, we'll run away with this thing."

I still think the Twins are the class of the division. But the Sox clearly have not played up to their offensive abilities - guys like Valentin, Crede, Rowand, Harris, Ordonez, Daubach and, of course, Konerko, all have hit less (and in some cases MUCH less) than one could reasonably expect them to hit. I think it is highly likely that at least some of those guys will come around. I also think Buehrle will come around. The big questions in my mind are whether Loaiza will continue to be a top starter, whether Garland and Wright can give the team quality innings, and whether Koch can be counted on. If all those things happen, the Sox could stay in the race and make things interesting. But I still think the Twins are better and will win it.

Iguana775
06-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Garland has a better ERA than Burly....whodathunkit??

gosox41
06-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Loaiza's ERA is back to being the MLB lead as Brown's has fallen to 2.22

Top 5 MLB ERA's

1.Esteban Loaiza 2.15
2.Kevin Brown 2.22
3.Jason Schmidt 2.43
4.Pedro Martinez 2.51
5. (tie) Woody Williams 2.55
5. (tie) Hideo Nomo 2.55

Top 10 AL central ERA's

1. Esteban Loaiza 2.15
2. C. C. Sabathia 3.51
3. Kyle Lohse 3.70
4. Bartolo Colon 3.93
5. Nate Cornejo 4.06
6. Darrell May 4.18
7. Brian Anderson 4.35
8. Jon Garland 4.71
9. Jason Davis 4.82
10. Mark Buerhle 4.90

Minnesota has only one pitcher on the list.
Kansas City also has only one pitcher on this list
Detroit has one on the list
Cleveland has 3 Pitchers on the list

And your Chicago White Sox have 4 of 10

What does this tell us?
First, The starting pitching is VERY weak on all but 2 AL Central teams. Cleveland would be considered the 2nd strongest, but ever their numbers aren't that great. The White Sox by far have the best starting pitching in the divsion.

I've been saying for the past two weeks and I'll say it again, if the sox offense shows some life, the division is ours. No questions asked. Now that we've seen the offense put up some respectable numbers 2 days in a row (and fail in the third), how does everyone really feel about this team?

I feel slightly better only because the Sox scored more then 5 runs two games in a row. But Sunday brought me back to reality. No timely hitting and leaving too many men on base. It's like the Sox play 2-3 good games and then 2-3 bad games.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
06-24-2003, 09:44 AM
I think the Sox are 5 games under .500. I will not get my hopes up until they are under 5 games back and over .500. However, I am excited for the next 9 games (I will be going to several of them).

Tragg
06-24-2003, 10:18 AM
E Lo looks like a cinch to start the all-star game. We host the game, but he's the only Sox that any rational human could possibly put on that team, so they'll let him start to make up for our weak participation otherwise. And there's no Torre managing the team to be a richard head about it.

LauraJ14
06-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Although Roy Halladay is making a strong case with 11 staright wins to be the AL starting pitcher.

MisterB
06-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Although Roy Halladay is making a strong case with 11 staright wins to be the AL starting pitcher.

Halladay's had an easier time of it. He has the best offense in the league behind him and are averaging over 7 runs of support a game for him. The Sox offense is third worst and are averaging less than 5 runs in Loaiza's starts. Add to that the fact that Halladay's ERA is almost a run and a half higher than Loaiza's and he doesn't even rank in the top 10 in the league.

A side note: among qualified pitchers in the AL, the bottom 10 in run support include Buehrle, Colon, and the ENTIRE Tigers rotation (ouch).

fquaye149
06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
esteban gets it easy over halladay...my friend from cincy was trying to tell me halladay should start, "he won 11 str8 starts!"... so i said, so what's his record 11-2? and a worse era than loaiza, i think not.

but the fact of the matter is, clemens will almost certainly start the game... it seems like all the pieces are in place 300th win 4000th k and its a future hall of famer's last year...i dont' know...it's bull but i'm pretty sure we'll see a clemens vs. brown starting pitching dealer