PDA

View Full Version : Dave Wills' Behavior


Mammoo
06-23-2003, 10:15 PM
I wonder how long the callers were on hold before being ripped by Wills. That's time well spent!

There is no question that he and Melton pipe the company line. Reinsdorf would have them off the air in two shakes if they dared rip the home team.

Wills was all over South Side Rodney who appears to be a solid Sox fan. You hear him all over the radio talking White Sox baseball yet Wills treats him shabbily because SSR had the audacity to speak an opposing view.

Which begs the question: Who the **** is Dave Wills? :angry:

gosox41
06-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I wonder how long the callers were on hold before being ripped by Wills. That's time well spent!

There is no question that he and Melton pipe the company line. Reinsdorf would have them off the air in two shakes if they dared rip the home team.

Wills was all over South Side Rodney who appears to be a solid Sox fan. You hear him all over the radio talking White Sox baseball yet Wills treats him shabbily because SSR had the audacity to speak an opposing view.

Which begs the question: Who the **** is Dave Wills? :angry:

David Wills is nothing but a puppet. He may as well have gone to the Hub Arkush school of broadcasting.

Bob

MarqSox
06-24-2003, 12:31 AM
You're the first two Sox fans I've ever heard say anything negative about Dave Wills. That guy bleeds White Sox more than anyone around.

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Wills has been the "Voice of the Windy City Sox Fans" for years. He grew up in Oak Lawn, attended Oak Lawn High School, and has been a Sox fan all his life.

I can tell you that Dave has expressed his own point of view to me on more than one occasion. He tends to be optimistic, like a number of the people who post on this message board. But he's not a pollyanna, believe me.

I would think that he's in a tough spot. Like Hub Arkush, who was mentioned earlier in the thread, he broadcasts on his team's house organ. We all know that in the House of Reinsdorf, dissent from the company line on the air can get you fired. (Remember how he treated Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall.)

You're not going to hear him do any scathing indictments of this club on the air. But if you read between the lines, you can tell what he's thinking.

As for his treatment of callers yesterday, that was when we stopped to eat on the Indiana Toll Road. I can't comment. I did hear him after the calls when he explained that he just wanted to wait until there was some kind of factual basis for comment. There's a novel approach these days...get the facts first before commenting! I agree with him on that.

jeremyb1
06-24-2003, 01:40 AM
maybe wills is simply trying to see all sides of the situation and consider the difficult position manuel is put in. i don't see how one could deny the reality of the situation which is that for every single one run game we've lost this year and particularly the games we've lost late manuel has been accused of single handedly blowing by most sox fans. people act as though if we had merely an average manager we'd be undefeated in 1 run games and undefeated in games we were winning after 7 innings despite a completely lack of offense and a struggling pen.

i have heard wills criticize manuel before at least by saying he can't explain the thinking behind a particular move. one of his jobs in being a good broadcaster is considering all aspects of a situation, all points of a view, and then exposing fans to these perspectives by playing devils advocate. that's his job. if he simply agreed with every caller, it'd be a pretty poor post game show.

hose
06-24-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Mammoo
I wonder how long the callers were on hold before being ripped by Wills. That's time well spent!

There is no question that he and Melton pipe the company line. Reinsdorf would have them off the air in two shakes if they dared rip the home team.

Wills was all over South Side Rodney who appears to be a solid Sox fan. You hear him all over the radio talking White Sox baseball yet Wills treats him shabbily because SSR had the audacity to speak an opposing view.

Which begs the question: Who the **** is Dave Wills? :angry:


I heard Wills tell Rodney (one of the first callers after Sundays game) to wait and hear what Manuel had to say before they jump to conclusions.

Wills is going to be biased toward the White Sox because he is a die hard fan besides being an announcer.

If you want the shoot from the hip type then Mike North will tell you that Josh Paul was demoted because he is white. :?:

Wills is a bit too emotional and certain callers know how to get under his skin. I happen to like the guy and yes I know he is some what limited by Reinsdorf . I don't hold that against Wills because the constraints are part of what he has to work with.

Dan H
06-24-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't care what Dave bleeds and I know he toes the company line. But he has mistreated callers on more than one occasion. He gets upset at angry callers after a loss, but how do you expect us to feel after a loss? I stopped listening to him. I don't want the company line or his lacing into fans. He is an extenison of Reinsdorf and I am not interested.

THE_HOOTER
06-24-2003, 03:14 PM
I like him-I think he really does a good job.

I didnt agree with him on Sunday, but I like the fact that he is a big fan like us.

Gumshoe
06-24-2003, 03:48 PM
He's a great voice and a great commentator on the game. What people like Jeremy have to understand (and perhaps Dave a bit) is that Jerry Manuel has earned the right to be criticized WHENEVER we lose games involving his use (or lack of use) of the bullpen . Do you want me to list those games Jeremy? Here you go:

2 of the last games @ Minnesota (Gordon wild pitch ring a bell?)
@ Cleveland (the Sunday game that Buehrle started)
@ Arizona
@ LA
@ Baltimore
and the topper of them all, the SF Colon game. He showed you he had NO clue in that game, and for me that was the last straw. Add these games to the last 3 years, and you have yourself PLENTY of reasons to question JM. BTW, in most of the above examples he either left Gordon in WAY too long, or didn't use Marte, or used Marte too late. The SF game was obviously clueless idiocy.

These games (among many others that I'm not mentioning) have reserved JM the right to be criticized. Too bad that he doesn't have Foulke still --- he'd be in far LESS trouble. In any event, you must remember too that this team, UNDER JM, has not met expectations, not just for THIS YEAR, but for 3 years in a row! (KW has a lot to do with that, too, surely) So, you have to put 2+2 together, my friends.

Well, we'll see what happens. I don't blame the Sunday game on him at all. Anyway, if Marte gets called strike 3 it's game time and Manuel celebrates the sweep. My main point is that he has CLEARLY been the direct cause in a majority of one run losses. Since that's the case, can he not expect to get criticized when we lose by a run?

GUMBO

booter14
06-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Dave Wills is the worst kind of hometown broadcaster, because he is stupid. He can't put two sentences together and he can not articulate his thoughts in a critical manner.

Whenever a caller upsets him with a remark, he immediately becomes defensive and stumbles over his words. Its really kind of pathetic. However, when he filled in with Rooney & Farmer last month on two or three gamecasts he was actually pretty good. He offered good analysis, but not your typical Farmio over-analysis.

My suggestion: Replace Farmer with Wills in the broadcast booth, and put Farmer in the pre/post game programs. Wills is just like Hub Arkush because he can't communicate with people, and he has a massive inferiority complex.

He also has a massive head. Its like a Sputnik.

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by booter14
Dave Wills is the worst kind of hometown broadcaster, because he is stupid. He can't put two sentences together and he can not articulate his thoughts in a critical manner.

Whenever a caller upsets him with a remark, he immediately becomes defensive and stumbles over his words. Its really kind of pathetic. However, when he filled in with Rooney & Farmer last month on two or three gamecasts he was actually pretty good. He offered good analysis, but not your typical Farmio over-analysis.

My suggestion: Replace Farmer with Wills in the broadcast booth, and put Farmer in the pre/post game programs. Wills is just like Hub Arkush because he can't communicate with people, and he has a massive inferiority complex.

He also has a massive head. Its like a Sputnik.

Now there was a really intelligent post.

I happen to know Dave, and everything you've posted here is BS.

hose
06-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Dave Wills just apologized to Rodney ....thats cool



:wills

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by hose
Dave Wills just apologized to Rodney ....thats cool



:wills

I should add that Dave is a regular visitor to WSI. I don't know if he reads the message boards, but you never know.

Gumshoe
06-24-2003, 11:41 PM
AMEN to Wills getting in and booting stupid Ed FARMER.


Ed Farmer is the worst announcer EVER

He doesn't even talk about baseball half the time. I remember one time he spent 5 minutes talking about how John Burkett wasn't going to play in the All Star game because he didn't like Bud Selig, then he ripped JB for 5 whole minutes ... what an imbecile. I don't care Farmer, just shut up and talk about the GAME.

Too bad we don't go to Toronto more, than Wills would show how superior he is to Farmer, the moron

Gumshoe

kevingrt
06-25-2003, 12:37 AM
Wills is a great fan, and I love him on the pre and post game shows, but he has to obey the company line. He cannot say anything so far out that might get him fired. Hawk stays back from saying it on air too. Being a broadcaster for the flagship network, you cannot fully express your views often. That's what comes with the job.

But Wills is an outstanding broadcaster!

jeremyb1
06-25-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
He's a great voice and a great commentator on the game. What people like Jeremy have to understand (and perhaps Dave a bit) is that Jerry Manuel has earned the right to be criticized WHENEVER we lose games involving his use (or lack of use) of the bullpen . Do you want me to list those games Jeremy? Here you go:

2 of the last games @ Minnesota (Gordon wild pitch ring a bell?)
@ Cleveland (the Sunday game that Buehrle started)
@ Arizona
@ LA
@ Baltimore
and the topper of them all, the SF Colon game. He showed you he had NO clue in that game, and for me that was the last straw. Add these games to the last 3 years, and you have yourself PLENTY of reasons to question JM. BTW, in most of the above examples he either left Gordon in WAY too long, or didn't use Marte, or used Marte too late. The SF game was obviously clueless idiocy.

These games (among many others that I'm not mentioning) have reserved JM the right to be criticized. Too bad that he doesn't have Foulke still --- he'd be in far LESS trouble. In any event, you must remember too that this team, UNDER JM, has not met expectations, not just for THIS YEAR, but for 3 years in a row! (KW has a lot to do with that, too, surely) So, you have to put 2+2 together, my friends.

Well, we'll see what happens. I don't blame the Sunday game on him at all. Anyway, if Marte gets called strike 3 it's game time and Manuel celebrates the sweep. My main point is that he has CLEARLY been the direct cause in a majority of one run losses. Since that's the case, can he not expect to get criticized when we lose by a run?

GUMBO

i think that proves my point to a large extent. the san fran game wasn't a one run game and i don't remember the exact scores of all the others you listed but if i recall corectly almost all of them were one run games. curently we're 10-13 in one run games (the large number of one run games tells you a little something about how poor our offense has been, a clue as to our misfourtunes) which isn't particularly good. however if we'd won those 6 one run games listed above we'd be 16-7, which would be the best record in one run games in all of baseball.

personally i have a hard time buying that an average manager would give us the best run in close games in all of baseball when we don't score runs late and we have an under achieving bullpen.

StillMissOzzie
06-25-2003, 02:33 AM
I could certainly do without Dave Wills' barking out "BRUCE Levine" whenever he's getting introduced or mentioned, and I can't stand his parting "White Sox vs_______ ... NEXXXT " shot before cutting over to John & Ed, but I'd take Dave's color man / analysis ala the Toronto series if we could put Ed Farmer out to pasture. Maybe relegate him to JUST the pre- and post-game interviews.

:gulp:

34 Inch Stick
06-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Vic, I think you do have to agree that physically he does have a very big melon.