PDA

View Full Version : From a Cubs board

Foulke You
06-23-2003, 03:19 PM
I will often go to other team's website's to see what the other fanbases have to say about a series against our White Sox. I do this for a lot of the White Sox opponents so I felt obligated to see what the idiot fans of the lovable losers had to say after this weekend's series. Let me say I was quite entertained by what I read. I left out the posters names and which site because I don't want to bring any flame/trolling wars to WSI. I just thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I could have spent hours picking apart these posts but I don't have that much time to waste. Are Cub fans arrogant and clueless or what? Check this out:

Opinion of Cub fan #1-
Since Interleague play began in 1997, the White Sox have, except for 1998, consistently outplayed the Cubs in head-to-head matchups. I believe the reason for this is simple, the series is bigger for the White Sox than it is for the Cubs. However, I cannot blame the players for having that be the case.

The reason that the series is bigger for the Sox than for the Cubs is that these are the big series every year for the Sox, while they are just 2 of many big series for the Cubs. The Sox do not come close to any divisional rivalry as strong as the Cubs-Cardinals, or the Cubs-Brewers for that matter. Ironically, perhaps their strongest division rivalry was taken away in '98 when the Brewers jumped to the NL.

Even when the Sox have been good their big series (ex. - vs. Cleveland in 2000) down the stretch have not been as big as the Cubs series have.

This is not the case for the Cubs. The Cardinals series' are always just as big as the Sox series & bigger in years like 2001 & this year when playoff contention is on the line. The Brewers series continue to take on growing importance despite the Brewers' continued futility against the rest of the league. Series down the stretch against Houston will likely be just as big as the White Sox series. Let's not forget what will be the biggest series (hopefully) until October, the Yankees series.

I can't blame the Cubs' players for not making as big a deal out of the White Sox series as the Sox players do. It's a lot easier to get up for a series when it's the biggest one of your season.

Opinion of Cub fan #2-
I agree that the Cubs have more rivals on their slate, but another contributing factor is the fans.

Let's face it. These six games out of the year are what Sox fans live for each year. They can finish their usual 81-81 year after year and still deem their season a success so long as three or four of those 81 wins are against the Cubs.

Ask yourself this: Why else has Jerry Manuel, a career .500 manager with the excpetion of one fluke season three years ago, been able to keep his job year in and year out?

Simple: It's because of his success against the Cubs. So what if he loses every series from here on out, so long as he beats the Cubs? That's what important, right? Beating the Cubs?

In short, the fans put more pressure on the Sox to win these games than they do the Cubs. Ask any Cubs fan who they'd rather beat, and I guarantee 75% would say the Cardinals.

I'm not bashing Sox fans, but it's in their blood to hate the Cubs with everything they have.

What else do they have to live for, really? They constantly have to live each day of their lives in the shadow of the Cubs (by their own admission), get far less air time than the Cubs, have a far less fan base (nationally and locally) as the Cubs, and have nowhere near the popularity as the Cubs.

If Cubs fans were to live each day of their lives as Sox fans, with nothing else to live for but six baseball games out of the season, I guarantee the results would take a complete 180.

:wills
"Can you say drill-rods?"

thecell
06-23-2003, 03:23 PM
That has to be one of the funniest things I've read in quite a while.

Blueprint1
06-23-2003, 03:57 PM
How long has this person been a Cubs fan? They have not palyed well in the second half of a season since they almost blew the wildcard back in 1998. Also ive noticed alot of Cubs fans thing they made the playoffs in 2001 when they fell apart in the second half of the season. I think its funny when they don't even know their own teams history.

Hangar18
06-23-2003, 04:21 PM
HEY FoulkeYou....your right. That was pretty dang funny.
NOW...those conversations you just read, Imagine actually
having them with fans this past weekend. At some point,
it does get funny.

Hangar18
06-23-2003, 04:34 PM
or how they were the Wild Card "Champions" back in 98.
I told a number of them that doesnt count, and If I had been
commissioner, I wouldve kicked them and the Giants out
for losing all those games down the stretch.

Foulke You
06-23-2003, 05:08 PM
It never stops amusing me how Cub fans will ALWAYS play down their perceived importance of the crosstown series when they are on the losing end of the series. If they lose, we get the same tired "Oh, it means so much more to them" and "the Cardinals are our real rivals!" crap all the time.

It is also funny how they perceive themselves to be constantly in contention while we are in the cellar so the series somehow means more to us. Did these people forget that they are Cubs fans? Was there some prolonged streak of success that I missed out on? They back doored their way into the playoffs in '98 and finished third place in '01. Sandwiched between that was two 90+ loss seasons in '99 and '00.

And what do Sox fans talk more about from the 2000 season? Winning 2 out of 3 from the Cubs or the huge 7 game road trip against Cleveland and NY that saw us go 7-0? Guess what, it isn't the Cubs series! Cub fans are so full of themselves that they think that beating them was the highlight from our 2000 division title. Sheesh. They just smoke too much...
:bluerock

MetalliSox
06-23-2003, 05:11 PM
On the AOL Cubs Board, a Cub fan was making fun of us Sox fans for "making excuses" that if Colon stayed in we would of won.
Then went on to discuss how if Kim held Miller, they would of won game 2. Hypocrite!

dickallen15
06-23-2003, 06:58 PM
The Cardinals are the Flubs real rivals according to their fans. What is the Cubs record at Busch Stadium the last few years.? Its amazing how many big series a team that loses 95 games a year have isn't it. Most of the "cub fans" at Wrigley don't even watch the game, how would they know? And they do play down the importance of the series, but if they win a game they are so obnoxious. I live on the North side and had a Sox t-shirt on 3 hours after the game. Some car honks at me with the 4 drunks screaming Cubbies, Cubbies, Sox suck. How can you take anyone seriously when they call their team the Cubbies?

DrCrawdad
06-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
[B]It never stops amusing me how Cub fans will ALWAYS play down their perceived importance of the crosstown series when they are on the losing end of the series. If they lose, we get the same tired "Oh, it means so much more to them" and "the Cardinals are our real rivals!" crap all the time...

You got it, spot on!

The Cubbie fans always adopt this stance when they lose to the Sox. Of course "the flames are dancing" when they've beat the Sox.

You can bet that Les Grobstein has taken the, "it's a bigger series to the Sox..." stance as well.

Yeah, it's a bigger series to the Sox just like it was in 1999.

Jerko
06-23-2003, 10:42 PM
I don't know; the Grobber (who I do like listening to) WAS all over the airwaves one year calling the Cubs the "co-city" champions or something like that when they split with the Sox; so THAT year anyway it was more important for Cub fans, or at least, the Grobber.

Daver
06-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I don't know; the Grobber (who I do like listening to) WAS all over the airwaves one year calling the Cubs the "co-city" champions or something like that when they split with the Sox; so THAT year anyway it was more important for Cub fans, or at least, the Grobber.

Well you can ask Les the next time he does a chat here,I am thinking about scheduling one for October,pending Les's schedule.

TommyJohn
06-23-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerko

Les's stance was quite different in 2001. When the Sox took 4 of
6 and Les was hearing it from Sox fans, he huffed and puffed
"well, the Cubs have the better record! I'm looking at what team
has the better record!" So his stance depends on how many games the Cubs win.

white sox bill
06-24-2003, 06:25 AM
"Stupid is as stupid does" Forest Gump in 1994.

Hangar18
06-24-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by daver
Well you can ask Les the next time he does a chat here,I am thinking about scheduling one for October,pending Les's schedule.

It will be safe to say GROBBER will have a lot of free time
come October, he heh