PDA

View Full Version : Alomar in Paul out...discuss

Meixner007
06-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030623soxmoves,1,6409050.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Alomar in Paul out...discuss.

hose
06-23-2003, 03:11 PM
I assume Josh Paul will have to clear waivers before sending him to Charlotte.

Josh went down in glory.

Foulke You
06-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by hose
Josh went down in glory.

I agree. He had a great game on Saturday and it couldn't have happened against a better opponent save the Twinkees.

soxrme
06-23-2003, 03:27 PM
Why keep a kid from around here who grew up a Sox fan, hates the cubs and seemed to hustle all the time. Alomar will be around at least two weeks before he gets hurt again. Oh yeah, he was probably the best bunter on the team. I know he was not the greatest but he deserves better.

maurice
06-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Mike Rivera is .429/.500/.786 through his first 10 games at Charlotte.

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2003, 03:34 PM
For the first time ever, I actually have pangs of minor regret in seeing Josh sent down. He came up big during the Flubs series -- that pitch-out on Saturday likely saved the game.

MetalliSox
06-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Release Alomar. Olivo has shown he belongs here and will improve. Josh has shown he is a decent back up and doesn't deserve to be sent back down either.

southpaw40
06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Josh has shown he is a decent back up and doesn't deserve to be sent back down either.
Exactly! He has delivered when called upon this season, and he has not whined about the treatment the Sox have given him (which has been terrible, IMO)

pudge
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
My contribution to the discussion is simply one word: "F#$%."

34 Inch Stick
06-23-2003, 04:29 PM
If the Sox remain in the race Alomar will break down before the end of the season. If the Sox fall back he will be traded, much like last year. Either way Paul will be back with the team before the end of the year. I don't know whether this is a good thing.

fquaye149
06-23-2003, 05:58 PM
apparently sandy is a boon to the clubhouse(i hear) and we can't just keep him around sin ce he's off the dl...that said... paul did a GREAT job this week..but if it comes down to him or miguel...i have to go with miguel

ilsox7
06-23-2003, 06:06 PM
If I'm JP, I don't accept assignment and look to catch on with another organization. It's pretty clear the Sox don't want to let him be the back-up. And as people are mentioning, he may not be the most skilled catcher, but he hustles. Let Alomar stay on as a coach if they want him around so much. Well, hopefully this doesn't really have much of an impact on the team...

DrCrawdad
06-23-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
For the first time ever, I actually have pangs of minor regret in seeing Josh sent down. He came up big during the Flubs series -- that pitch-out on Saturday likely saved the game.

Me too. Wonder if Josh will be traded, or if he clears waivers if he'll accept another trip to AAA.

Let's look on the Lip-side...

If Josh leaves the Sox organization think of the ammunition that Josh will probably provide for Lip.

Iguana775
06-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Mike Rivera is .429/.500/.786 through his first 10 games at Charlotte.

Who dat? :)

Daver
06-23-2003, 07:26 PM
So long Josh,if you never come back it will be to soon.

MRKARNO
06-23-2003, 07:33 PM
What happens if this Mike Rivera guy ends up to be better than Olivo?

Daver
06-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Are you refering to the 27 year old Mike Rivera that was claimed off waivers from the Padres earlier this month?

He was picked up so that Charlotte would have two catchers on their roster if Josh Paul refuses to go to Charlotte.

chisoxt
06-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Sandy is a great guy but he is a brittle as a toothpick..... For two seasons now, he has produced a soild first month of the season, but always goes on the DL. I think that it is a waste of time to have him on the roster, given the inevitability of further injury.

Joel Perez
06-23-2003, 09:57 PM
The White Sox organization is starting to mirror the Chicago Blackhawks as far as bonehead roster moves. You bring a guy like a Josh Paul that seemed to turn the corner, and could at least provide a small spark in speed and backup catching. He does pretty good in his last few games, then what do you reward him with?

"Designated for assignment".

Thank God the Chicago Bears' training camp is almost here.

TheRockinMT
06-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I always liked Josh Paul. I think the Sox are making a mistake if they let him go via waivers. Alomar is a coach more than anything now and I think that's why we have him on the team. He coaches Olivo and is friends with Bartolo. Josh always gave it his all and I am thinking the we will need him next year as the backup catcher. Olivo has big potential but is still young and will need that #2 catcher to step in from time to time. I wonder if Alomar could have been on the inactive list and coached.

Daver
06-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
I always liked Josh Paul. I think the Sox are making a mistake if they let him go via waivers. Alomar is a coach more than anything now and I think that's why we have him on the team. He coaches Olivo and is friends with Bartolo. Josh always gave it his all and I am thinking the we will need him next year as the backup catcher. Olivo has big potential but is still young and will need that #2 catcher to step in from time to time. I wonder if Alomar could have been on the inactive list and coached.

The problem with this scenario is the fact that Josh does no part of the job of catcher well,he can't call a game,he has poor footwork,his arm leaves a lot to be desired,and his reactions are poor.

There will be someone on the FA market that is an upgrade over Josh Paul,and with the way the market is going,the money will be about the same.

Tragg
06-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by daver
The problem with this scenario is the fact that Josh does no part of the job of catcher well,he can't call a game,he has poor footwork,his arm leaves a lot to be desired,and his reactions are poor.

There will be someone on the FA market that is an upgrade over Josh Paul,and with the way the market is going,the money will be about the same.
The question is, who is better this year to finish out the year as backup catcher? Paul or Alomar.
I completely agree that we'll need a backup catcher next year. Paul simply lacks the skills.

Daver
06-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
The question is, who is better this year to finish out the year as backup catcher? Paul or Alomar.
I completely agree that we'll need a backup catcher next year. Paul simply lacks the skills.

Miguel Olivo is your backup catcher,Alomar will return to being the starter till he gets hurt again,the last thing the Sox need to do is burn Miguel out with overusing him,he has never played more than 110 games in his career,and he did that only once.Jamie Burke can be called up if Paul does not accept his option to be sent down,but something tells me Josh will be in Charlotte by the end of the week.

MHOUSE
06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Paul hustles and is a Sox fan, we need that on this team. I understand he might not have much of a future with the team or be the best catcher out there, but he's more reliable in the long run than Alomar. I would love to have Alomar around as a coach, but he's just not a reliable starter with the constant injuries. I think Josh deserves at least a half a season up with the club before we find a real backup to Olivo next season.

MarkEdward
06-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
What happens if this Mike Rivera guy ends up to be better than Olivo?

I haven't given up on Rivera. He used to be one of the best catching prospects in baseball. He's too old to be considered a prospect anymore, but he could still become a serviceable starter or back-up. If he continues to play well, he has a great chance of making the team next year.

Kudos to Kenny Williams, I suppose.