PDA

View Full Version : Bit of Flub Humor -- Wood at Pearl Jam

FoulTerritory
06-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Saturday night I was at the Pearl Jam concert at Alpine Valley Music Theater in Wisconsin. While watching a blistering rendition of "Crazy Mary" during the 2nd encore, a drunken gray t-shirted man runs up onto stage. Security goes after him, but Vedder tells security to back off, ushers the much taller goateed man up to the microphone. There, the swaying man briefly attempted to sing (very badly), then said hello to his wife and god-blessed Eddie Vedder. Then Vedder points at him (I'm thinking, who is this familiar looking drunk dude?) and Vedder says, "Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Kerry Wood of the Chicago Cubs!" Then Wood stumbled off (nearly fell down) stage to a mixture of raucous cheers and laughter.

Though I loathe the Cubs, I gotta say, heres to Kerry for knowin' how to have a good time. It was so amusing I'm still chucking two days later . . . and wondering how Woody managed to get up for the game on Sunday. God thing he wasn't pitching.

BradleyJo

Hangar18
06-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
Saturday night I was at the Pearl Jam concert at Alpine Valley Music Theater in Wisconsin. While watching a blistering rendition of "Crazy Mary" during the 2nd encore, a drunken gray t-shirted man runs up onto stage. Security goes after him, but Vedder tells security to back off, ushers the much taller goateed man up to the microphone. There, the swaying man briefly attempted to sing (very badly), then said hello to his wife and god-blessed Eddie Vedder. Then Vedder points at him (I'm thinking, who is this familiar looking drunk dude?) and Vedder says, "Ladies and gentleman, Mr. Kerry Wood of the Chicago Cubs!" Then Wood stumbled off (nearly fell down) stage to a mixture of raucous cheers and laughter.

Though I loathe the Cubs, I gotta say, heres to Kerry for knowin' how to have a good time. It was so amusing I'm still chucking two days later . . . and wondering how Woody managed to get up for the game on Sunday. God thing he wasn't pitching.

BradleyJo

I wouldve BOOOED him ....... Loudly. At least he knows how
to Party

xil357
06-23-2003, 02:54 PM
Was this reported anywhere in the media? Can we get confirmation of this from other sources? This would be really embarassing for the Cubs organization.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Was this reported anywhere in the media? Can we get confirmation of this from other sources? This would be really embarassing for the Cubs organization.

Why? He wasn't scheduled to pitch until Tuesday and he was at a concert drinking beer. Who cares?

FoulTerritory
06-23-2003, 02:59 PM
I have already procured an MP3 bootleg of the performance. I just listened to it. Of course, you can't SEE wood's drunken mannerisms like you could live, but you can hear his bad singing, and Eddie introduce him as "Kerry Wood of the Chicago Cubs."

FoulTerritory
06-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Voodoo: Why? He wasn't scheduled to pitch until Tuesday and he was at a concert drinking beer. Who cares?

I second that. Honestly, I was probably in as bad of shape as Wood, so who am I to judge. And as Voodoo says, he wasn't pitchign till Tue. I just found the whole scene quite humorous, but certainly not scandalous.

Brad

Irishsox1
06-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Didn't Eddie Vedder wear a Sox hat when Pearl Jam first performed on Saturday Night Live in 1992?...and now he's a Cubs fan? What gives?...oh I know, Pearl Jam was good in 1992 and Eddie was a Sox fan. Now that Pearl Jam releases really crappy records, he's a Cubs fan, now it makes sense. And anyone who tells me that Pearl Jam is releasing good records these days should wake up. They have not released a solid album since 1995.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Didn't Eddie Vedder wear a Sox hat when Pearl Jam first performed on Saturday Night Live in 1992?...and now he's a Cubs fan? What gives?...oh I know, Pearl Jam was good in 1992 and Eddie was a Sox fan. Now that Pearl Jam releases really crappy records, he's a Cubs fan, now it makes sense. And anyone who tells me that Pearl Jam is releasing good records these days should wake up. They have not released a solid album since 1995. Vedder was buddying around with Black Jack McDowell then. Apparently now it's Wood

Hangar18
06-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Irishsox1
Didn't Eddie Vedder wear a Sox hat when Pearl Jam first performed on Saturday Night Live in 1992?...and now he's a Cubs fan? What gives?...oh I know, Pearl Jam was good in 1992 and Eddie was a Sox fan. Now that Pearl Jam releases really crappy records, he's a Cubs fan, now it makes sense. And anyone who tells me that Pearl Jam is releasing good records these days should wake up. They have not released a solid album since 1995.

Vedder and McDowell have been friends for a while, and the
Sox hat he was wearing on Saturday Nite Live back in 1992,
was a Game used McDowell hat.

LuvSox
06-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Vedder and McDowell have been friends for a while, and the
Sox hat he was wearing on Saturday Nite Live back in 1992,
was a Game used McDowell hat.

Vedder had the hat at their taping of 'Unplugged" for MTV. On the outtakes someone asks him about the hat and he says "Jack McDowell gave it to me. He plays for the Sox."

Viva Magglio
06-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by xil357

It probably won't be reported, but if a drunken White Sox player made such an appearance....