PDA

View Full Version : Tribune Story About (Gasp!) Naughty Wrigley Bleacherites

Viva Magglio
06-23-2003, 12:41 PM
One would think such a story would come from the Sun-Times or Daily Southtown, but no. It's right in the very paper commonly referred to as the Cubune itself. It apparently appeared in the Tribune's Red Eye and not the main paper itself.

For those of you Tribune-registered (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-030623redeye.story)

:knue
"I have no control over the Red Eye."

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2003, 12:57 PM
I noticed this wasn't on the Trib's website, but felt it was worth mentioning. Jimmy Greenfield has a 2-page spread, replete with a great photo of 2 Cub fans standing up chatting on their cellphones in the bleachers, about how the bleacher area ain't what it used to be, and how some of the old-timer Cub fans (the original bleacher bums) can't stand sitting in those seats because of how drunk, stupid and loud the fans are there. Another article talks about how expensive the seats have gotten, too.

Some choice quotes:

The biggest complaint old-timers have with the new breed of bleacher fan seems to be that not only do they not know baseball, but they also don't know they're at a game.

Nicole Spain, 25, was in the bleachers for the first time in early June along with pal Deanna Berlin, 26, who was at her second game. "It's a social event," Spain said. "I'm here to drink."

Jim Kaiser, 26, made the trek from Elgin for a night in the bleachers. "I'm not really big into baseball, but it's a fun time to have with my friends."

jortafan
06-23-2003, 01:03 PM
I've always wondered what the original bleacher bums (the guys in the yellow helmets in the late '60s) think of the crowds that now show up at Wrigley. A part of me wonders if they would be so disgusted at the silliness.

MRKARNO
06-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Wow, I didnt think that the tribune could be objective about the bleacher sections at wrigeley

mandmandm
06-23-2003, 01:38 PM
Seen at yesterday's game. I am coming out of the men's washroom and there is a girl high fiving every guy that comes out of the bathroom. She is wearing a tshirt that Says "Get Wasted", Cubs logo, and "Go Cubs." I give her a dirty look and refuse to high five her. I walk past her and the back of the shirt says "Today is my twenty first birthday, buy me a beer everytime the Cubs score." I was a bit suprised that she looked so dazed as it was the sixth inning with the Sox up 1-0. I would assume she has never been in a men's washroom at a major sporting event as I would guess that hand washing ratio is 70/30 at best.

SouthSideHitman
06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I enjoyed this pithy comeback from the trib article where the cubs fan resonds to the allegation (no, reveltation) that the cubs suck by saying, "At least the cubs can fill a stadium, that's all I have to say... Besides, sammy learned how to cork his bat when he was with the White Sox."

Ouch, a jab at attendence and a weak insult coupeled with a tacit admission of shammy's guilt. And to think that this was probably one of the better quotes the cubune had that they could run.

Viva Magglio
06-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
I've always wondered what the original bleacher bums (the guys in the yellow helmets in the late '60s) think of the crowds that now show up at Wrigley. A part of me wonders if they would be so disgusted at the silliness.

The Score's Mike Murphy, who was an original Bleacher Bum, occasionally does a bit on his show called "Bleacher Dudes, Bleacher Babes." Murph sends one of his producers into the bleachers and they ask fans in the bleachers basic questions like "What position does Sammy Sosa play?" or "How many innings are there in a regulation baseball game?" With these fans' answers recorded on tape, Murph then has callers to his show guess if the bleacher fan gets the question right. It's quite fun.

maurice
06-23-2003, 05:39 PM
The Trib posted a poll asking: "Have drunks and cell phones spoiled Wrigley's bleachers?" As of this posting, 71.5% responded "Yes."

Vsahajpal
06-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Excellent and dead-on article:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6148436.htm

white sox bill
06-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
I enjoyed this pithy comeback from the trib article where the cubs fan resonds to the allegation (no, reveltation) that the cubs suck by saying, "At least the cubs can fill a stadium, that's all I have to say... Besides, sammy learned how to cork his bat when he was with the White Sox."

Ouch, a jab at attendence and a weak insult coupeled with a tacit admission of shammy's guilt. And to think that this was probably one of the better quotes the cubune had that they could run.

Hey if Shammy learned to cork bats w/us, that means that most if not all of his HR's(with the Flubs) were used with his corks! Hell, we all know that!