PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Beltrán

Viva Magglio
06-23-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm just throwing this out there for discussion, and I am not sure I'd like this idea at all. However...

The Kansas City Royals, apparently not realizing they are in a pennant race with us and Minnesota, are looking to deal Carlos Beltrán. Would we want him? What would we have to give up for him? Probably too much, right?

34 Inch Stick
06-23-2003, 01:43 PM
Yes and I don't know. Would Rauch and Rowand be enough. Probably not. They will be looking for low paid major leaguers or AAA players who are ready to be brought up.

Irishsox1
06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Beltran would be a great pickup for the Sox. However, he would be a rented player as his agent is Scott Boras and he would not re-sign with the Sox. Also, I doubt K.C. would send him to us as they are also in the AL central division. I think that a team like San Fran or LA could land him.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Yes and I don't know. Would Rauch and Rowand be enough. Probably not. They will be looking for low paid major leaguers or AAA players who are ready to be brought up.

Throw in Lee and move Borchard to LF or let Daubach play full time.

boog_alou
06-23-2003, 05:04 PM
If the Royals trade Beltran this year (he isn't a FA until after 2004), then they want A LOT for him. This isn't some 1/3 season rental deadline deal. They want some good, major league ready, young, cheap talent. (According to KC GM Allard Baird). Their possible needs are 3B, C, 2B and maybe CF (although they have some decent, not quite ready prospects at that position). So, it would take a big name like Borchard or Crede, plus other prospects.

They don't really need more pitching prospects. They have a lot of good young pitching prospects, and if they trade Beltran, they need to fill an area of need.

hold2dibber
06-23-2003, 05:09 PM
My guess is that it would take Crede and some combination of Borchard, Jimenez, Harris, Miles and/or Olivo. They want cheap (i.e., not Carlos Lee), good, major-league ready (or close to it) players.

Gumshoe
06-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Don't waste your time guys. NO way we get Beltran. Furthermore, I'd have a tough time giving up Crede for him STRAIGHT up, let alone with 2 other guys. Crede has a huge upside and will easily be the player Beltran is. Both are good with the glove, Beltran has more speed, but Beltran is only a .285 hitter, and he strikes out 250% more than he walks. I think Crede could be a .285 hitter, and 3rd base is important. Don't bother thinking about this deal. We'll have to wait for someone to come up and take it or trade some other way (Brian Simmons would be nice)

Gum

34 Inch Stick
06-23-2003, 05:33 PM
Can we please end the Brian Simmons foolishness I have seen here the last week. He is no longer a kid. He has had operations on both knees. He has never stuck on a major league team. Better to hope for Tom Goodwin or Michael Tucker or some cheap average veteran than a never was.

Meixner007
06-23-2003, 05:46 PM
KC would never send a good player to a division rival. Plain and simple. Would we trade with minnesota? I don't think so.

Jjav829
06-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Don't waste your time guys. NO way we get Beltran. Furthermore, I'd have a tough time giving up Crede for him STRAIGHT up, let alone with 2 other guys. Crede has a huge upside and will easily be the player Beltran is. Both are good with the glove, Beltran has more speed, but Beltran is only a .285 hitter, and he strikes out 250% more than he walks. I think Crede could be a .285 hitter, and 3rd base is important. Don't bother thinking about this deal. We'll have to wait for someone to come up and take it or trade some other way (Brian Simmons would be nice)

Gum

Sorry, but no. You wouldn't trade Crede for Beltran straight up? You must not be looking at the same Carlos Beltran. Crede has a nice upside, yes. He is 25 and has shown some decent stuff in the big leagues. Beltran is 26 and already has 3 100+ RBI seasons under his belt. We're talking about one year difference and Beltran is still improving. Crede will easily be the player Beltran is? We can only hope. Beltran is quickly becoming a more patient hitter at the plate. He already has 35 walks (and 35 K's)this season in 55 games. You THINK Crede can be a .285 hitter? Beltran already is and like I said, is still improving as he is currently batting .305 with a .920 OPS. 3rd base is important? Yeah, but centerfield is far more important. I am not saying we should make this trade because I doubt Reinsy would resign Beltran (with Boras as his agent). But to say you wouldn't trade a guy who could become a good 3rd baseman for a guy who already is one of the best centerfielders around is just....wrong.

Jjav829
06-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Can we please end the Brian Simmons foolishness I have seen here the last week. He is no longer a kid. He has had operations on both knees. He has never stuck on a major league team. Better to hope for Tom Goodwin or Michael Tucker or some cheap average veteran than a never was.

Thank you for saying that. I like Brian Simmons but we don't need him. We need a real centerfielder who can both field AND hit.

whitesoxwilkes
06-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Don't the Royals have smilin' Joe Randa at 3rd? Why would they want Crede?

Daver
06-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Don't the Royals have smilin' Joe Randa at 3rd? Why would they want Crede?

They're looking to move Randa as soon as they are out of contention,he doesn't fit in the Michael Glass economic scheme.

gosox41
06-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by daver
They're looking to move Randa as soon as they are out of contention,he doesn't fit in the Michael Glass economic scheme.

Randa would be a guy I ccan see the Cubs getting. They'd have to give up a lot less talentwise for a decent third baseman.

Bob

kermittheefrog
06-24-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by daver

And he sucks. That may be a factor as well.