PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle moved up to face Twins

MHOUSE
06-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030622&content_id=387446&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Mark Buehrle does not like pitching at the Metrodome, basically because Mark Buehrle does not pitch well at the Metrodome.

"I hate pitching in Minnesota, on Astroturf," Buehrle said. "I've only had one good game there, the very first start of my career. It seems like I can't do anything right there since."

This doesn't make sense to me. Buehrle says in that article that he hates pitching at the metrodome and on astroturf in general. He all ready had one huge meltdown there this season and seems glad he doesn't have to pitch this series. So Manuel moves him up in the rotation with the off day so he can face the Twins Thursday. Does this make any sense at all? Again Manuel has no feel for his players. I would like Wright to have a chance to pitch again coming off two good outings instead. Buehrle has been a lot better lately, but when he says he doesn't want to pitch there, why make him do it? Manuel tinkering with the rotation again. UGH! Mark also mentions that he enjoyed beating the Cubs twice because it helped St. Louis. Oh brother.....

gosox41
06-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20030622&content_id=387446&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cha)

Mark Buehrle does not like pitching at the Metrodome, basically because Mark Buehrle does not pitch well at the Metrodome.

"I hate pitching in Minnesota, on Astroturf," Buehrle said. "I've only had one good game there, the very first start of my career. It seems like I can't do anything right there since."

This doesn't make sense to me. Buehrle says in that article that he hates pitching at the metrodome and on astroturf in general. He all ready had one huge meltdown there this season and seems glad he doesn't have to pitch this series. So Manuel moves him up in the rotation with the off day so he can face the Twins Thursday. Does this make any sense at all? Again Manuel has no feel for his players. I would like Wright to have a chance to pitch again coming off two good outings instead. Buehrle has been a lot better lately, but when he says he doesn't want to pitch there, why make him do it? Manuel tinkering with the rotation again. UGH! Mark also mentions that he enjoyed beating the Cubs twice because it helped St. Louis. Oh brother.....

I don't know what to make of this. I can't blame Manuel for wanting to keep Buehrle on a set schedule. OTOH, Manuel likes to look at numbers and tinker. I'm surprised he doesn't look at the past stats, and make an appropritate decision. I mean Manuel is the guy who sat out the teams most productive hitter because he's 0-4 agains Clement.

This is what I mean about no consistency JM's decisions and why he should be fired. Why does Buehrle get to start in a place he's struggled, but not Frank. Also, do you think this throws off Danny Wright at all?

Bob

ilsox7
06-23-2003, 01:19 PM
If MB has confidence in his game in Minnesota (even though he says he hates it there), then I think I'd have to agree with this decision. Right now Colon, Esteban, MB, and Garland to some degree have to carry us. If we keep these 4 throwing well, there is hope (whether or not the offense produces). And I think it's especially important with MB b/c he is finally getting some wins, which helps the confidence. A win at Minnesota would do a lot for him and a lot for this team.

Jjav829
06-23-2003, 09:02 PM
I like this move. I was actually going to make a post to suggest it today. Before this move we were looking at sending Loaiza, Garland, and Wright to the mound for what is probably the most important series the Sox have played thus far. I know everyone wants to beat the Flubs, but beating the Twins is far more important than the Flubs series. Buehrle had 5 wins last year against the Twins. Who cares what Mark Buehrle wants. If Mark Buehrle got what he wanted, he'd be pitching for the Cardinals right now. You can't always worry about what your players want to do. You've got to do whats in the best interest of the team. I'd rather have a struggling Mark Buehrle out there than Dan Wright. Wright hasn't shown me enough that would make me want him pitching in a potentially big game that could make or break the Sox.

MHOUSE
06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
Agreed that this is an important series and we want the best chance to win, but I don't like throwing off Danny or putting Mark in a situation he is uncomfortable with. I am just sick of Manuel's constant tinkering with everything. If I were manager I would defince roles as best I could a leave if for a series or two and then make minor adjustments and ride them. You'd think after so many changes he would solve something and it would end. But...no. dang it!