PDA

View Full Version : Reading between the lines

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030622colon,1,5491515.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

"When [a pitcher] says something, you listen. And when it's the guy who always wants to go nine [innings], you listen a little more attentively. He's very important for us the rest of the year. The kid has a future, and you don't want to compromise it."

1) He said get the bull pen up...i.e. don't **** up and leave me out there like last time. Have a contingency plan for god's sake.

2) Who's future are you woried about, ours or his possible future with another team?

"I didn't want [O'Leary] swinging against Colon when he was somewhat fatigued," manager Jerry Manuel said."

3) When the hell did Troy O'Leary become the big bad sox killer? He was a pinch hitter. Blood was cold as hell. Just ask Frank what it's like to come off the bench to hit.

Colon had no problem with the decision to remove him.

"Whatever decision the manager makes, I agree with," he said.

4) If anything this is a class-act by Bartolo. He may have not agreed with it, but he sure wasn't going to say anythign against it.

Bottom line, Manuel misread his pitchers...again.

jeremyb1
06-23-2003, 01:51 AM
the sox had marte warming in the 7th. why would colon go out of his way to say "have someone up in the pen" only if the highly unlikely event that he grew fatigued took place. obviously, he was feeling worn out.

additionally, i think its really ignorant to assume that if we overwork colon, the effects won't be seen until the deadline or next season at the earliest. its not hard to develop a minor injury such as tendinitus that will keep you out a month or two (see wright, danny and beckett, josh) or a severe elbow or shoulder injury (see parque, jim) based mostly on one outing where a pitcher is overused.

i know everyone likes the idea of colon being a work horse but everyone seems to forget that 100 pitches is generally the point at which a pitcher is pulled from a game to preserve his arm and curb the onset of fatigue. colon had already thrown 97 pitches and then indicated he was tired, twisting the situation into manuel defying all convential logic by pulling him is completely insane and shows a lack of any common sense in my opinion.

Meixner007
06-23-2003, 02:01 AM
Manuel has proven that he'll defy conventional logic at any point in the season, he sure doesn't need my help to point that out. As for the 100 pitch count...that's ludicrous. He's gone much farther into the pitch count this season...so why start to put a reign on him now. I don't know where the 100 pitch count came from but it's rediculous. Today's pitchers are getting softer by the day. Pitchers back in the day would often throw many more pitches on fewer days rest. He's a starting pitcher, it's different than a reliever. Marte was warming up in case Bartolo started to get hit around...period. He didn't want to be left hanging out to dry, like last time. It's a sad day when your starting pitcher has to hint to your manager to get the bullpen up in case he gets in trouble.

ssang
06-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Meixner007
. It's a sad day when your starting pitcher has to hint to your manager to get the bullpen up in case he gets in trouble.

Amen! I 100% agree. Colon just wanted to prepare his moronic manager JUST IN CASE he got into trouble. But puss Manuel was afraid to let our stud, Colon, pitch to TROY O'LEARY!?!?!

ssang
06-23-2003, 07:50 AM
. It's a sad day when your starting pitcher has to hint to your manager to get the bullpen up in case he gets in trouble.

Amen! I 100% agree. Colon just wanted to prepare his moronic manager JUST IN CASE he got into trouble. But puss Manuel was afraid to let our stud, Colon, pitch to TROY O'LEARY!?!?!

Kilroy
06-23-2003, 07:57 AM
It's a sad day when your starting pitcher has to hint to your manager to get the bullpen up in case he gets in trouble.

Originally posted by ssang

You guys are ****ed in the head. The manager and pitching coach always get their information on the status of the pitcher from the pitcher himself, and from the catcher. When the pitcher says "Get someone ready", that means he's getting tired. No ifs, ands, or buts. If the pitcher admits that he's starting to get tired, that means more than likely he already is. We know that they will push it because the are competitors. So, when the pitcher is tired, and the guy he's about to face has hit .324 off him career, and, he's left handed and you have a lefty ready to come in, its a no ****ing brainer.

The problem is that Marte didn't get the job done.

When JM left Colon in the 9th against the Giants, it was a no brainer, until Durham got a single and Bonds, who Colon had struck out 3 times and made him look bad in the process, took him deep. Then JM was a moron for not having Marte up and ready.

But if Colon had come out of the game to start the 9th and Marte held the lead, you crack-smokers wouldn't have been happy with that, you'd have bitched because he didn't let Colon go for the complete game.

fquaye149
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM

3) When the hell did Troy O'Leary become the big bad sox killer? He was a pinch hitter. Blood was cold as hell. Just ask Frank what it's like to come off the bench to hit.

a pinch hitter's a pinch hitter man. o'leary's been having a relatively successful season and not everyone has the problems frank has with not playing the field....not to mention o'leary has hit the ball well against us.

manuel's a moron...but pin this one on marte, not him

kevingrt
06-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Does Manuel ever read pitchers correctly? Come on can't you be expecting this, and just pray that the reliever coming in does something good... That's what I have resorted to now, PRAYING!