PDA

View Full Version : The question is not if JM should be fired but when?

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 07:47 PM
You all know that I have been riding the "Fire JM" bandwagon for the longest time. However, when exactly should the trigger be pulled? Now? Or after the Cubs & Twins games? Or after the All Star Break? Or after the season?

While I support the ouster of Jerry Manuel, we all know that Kenny Williams and Jerry Reinsdorf will not replace him with a name manager. Wally Backman would replace Manuel in the event of an in-season firing, and Backman would not save the season. KW and JR basically want a "yes man" manager and not one whose personality would make KW feel less powerful in the organization.

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 07:56 PM
I agree. I don't think the question was whether or not JM would be fired but when. I don't see any moves being made until AFTER the all-star break. 2 reasons for that. First, I dont' believe the people in the front office are that heartless, and two it would look bad on the sox considering we are hosting the event and JM is scheduled to coach third. If any movement will be made it will be after the break. Honestly if JM is fired after the break it's gonna either be Bobby V. or Blackman. I think it would be more towards blackman becuase of the $ reason. But realilistically, if we can play well up to the break, and we preform well against the cake schedule in July I think we're in for the long haul of nail biting, and acid reflux this season. Either way, he'll be gone after this season....and i'll drink to that :gulp:

Gumshoe
06-22-2003, 08:09 PM
you forgot that he is an All Star coach for the game ... so they DEFINITELY won't move him at all till AFTER the season.

I think KW and JR as mentioned are egomaniacs and won't admit they are wrong and won't let guys like Valentine or Backman control them; thus, I think we see Jerry Manuel the rest of the season as Sox skipper. Thus, we finish 2nd in the Central excruciatingly close, because JM can't handle a BPen worth a

Gumshoe

RedPinStripes
06-22-2003, 08:14 PM
3 years ago.

FanOf14
06-22-2003, 08:27 PM
I am surprised he lasted long enought to be named to the all-star coaching squad. He seems like (and I know a bunch of other baseball fans, Sox and non-Sox fans) all say that he seems like he has been trying to get fired.

Daver
06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I am surprised he lasted long enought to be named to the all-star coaching squad. He seems like (and I know a bunch of other baseball fans, Sox and non-Sox fans) all say that he seems like he has been trying to get fired.

The next manager is already on the Sox payroll,is not managing now for the first time in five years,and has MLB experience.It is just a question of timing.

idseer
06-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
The next manager is already on the Sox payroll,is not managing now for the first time in five years,and has MLB experience.It is just a question of timing.

in the meantime the team suffers, the fans suffer, and the gate suffers.
who said JR was an astute business man?

i say screw the allstar coach crap, screw the 'heartlessness' of it (what a joke anyway), and let's get on the right track NOW!

Daver
06-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by idseer
in the meantime the team suffers, the fans suffer, and the gate suffers.
who said JR was an astute business man?

JR is a very astute businessman,a low gate guarntees him of paying no rent for the publicy built baseball park his team plays in.

MRKARNO
06-22-2003, 09:02 PM
JM wont be fired this year. Forget it aint happening. Stop talking about it.
He's been plagued by bad luck all year and he's done a few good things. He's obviously no dummy if he sniffed out that steal

duke of dorwood
06-22-2003, 09:10 PM
HUH ?????????????

SoxxoS
06-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
JM wont be fired this year. Forget it aint happening. Stop talking about it.
He's been plagued by bad luck all year and he's done a few good things. He's obviously no dummy if he sniffed out that steal

That definitely wasn't Manuel, that was Joe Nossek.

We are going to have to wait until after the all star break to see Manuel gone...there is no way they fire him when he is on that "all-star" coaching squad. What a joke that is too.

By then it might be too late.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
He's obviously no dummy if he sniffed out that steal

The only problem with that statement is that Joe Nossek sniffed out that steal.

duke of dorwood
06-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Lets see-this same ownership fired Gene Lamont right after being manager of the year for having a slow start. Why the sudden change of policy on a team that is fundamentally a cut above little league, and 3 years of underachieving. Now lets see, what committee is the owner in charge of?