PDA

View Full Version : How do they evaluate umpires?

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm not complaing about today's game because even though it may have been a bad job by the home plate umpire, I think both teams got the same treatment. What i'm wondering is, how do they review these games. What happens to these umps (for example the home plate ump who had no clue what a strike was)? Will he be looked at more closely now, or what...

Daver
06-22-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I'm not complaing about today's game because even though it may have been a bad job by the home plate umpire, I think both teams got the same treatment. What i'm wondering is, how do they review these games. What happens to these umps (for example the home plate ump who had no clue what a strike was)? Will he be looked at more closely now, or what...

Sandy Alderson is responsible for that,and supposedly assess's these guys on a weekly basis,but I am not convinced that he just doesn't use the info from Ques-tec ballparks and applies it in those situations.The umpires really have no power anymore,their union is controlled directly from Bud Selig's office,so the league has the final say on all disputes with umpires.

If anything todays homeplate ump will get a talking to about the strikezone and that will be the end of it.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Haven't they installed "QuesTec" cameras in certain ballparks? Supposedly, they are using these to evaluate umpires' ball/strike calling accuracy. Supposedly, players don't like it. Just ask Curt Schilling.

That umpire behind the plate was terrible, however. He was screwing batters on both sides.

jeremyb1
06-22-2003, 09:04 PM
in my opinion today's balls and strikes calls were the worst we've had all season. the inconsistency was maddening. the ump would give certain pitches 3 inches off the plate (the pitch to colon in his first at bat) and then refuse to call pitches much closer (ball four to maggs when zambrano got pissed, at least two of marte's pitches). i really thought it was disgraceful.

doublem23
06-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Viva is right, QuesTec has only been installed in a handful of stadiums, and I don't think that Wrigley is one of them. From all the reports about it that I have read or seen, it's nothing more than a lot of hubbub about nothing. (That is, it doesn't really get anything done).

But yeah, the strike zone was horrid. After Colon K'ed in the 2nd, he came back at Sosa the next inning with like 3 pitches in the exact same spot that Colon's 2nd strike was and he got 2 of 3 called balls.

:?:

voodoochile
06-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
in my opinion today's balls and strikes calls were the worst we've had all season. the inconsistency was maddening. the ump would give certain pitches 3 inches off the plate (the pitch to colon in his first at bat) and then refuse to call pitches much closer (ball four to maggs when zambrano got pissed, at least two of marte's pitches). i really thought it was disgraceful.

Yeah, but it went both ways. Both sides had guys rung up on balls off the plate. It wasn't pretty, but it didn't favor either team. LH batters were much more likely to get a bad call, I have no idea why that is...

kevingrt
06-23-2003, 01:12 PM
It's all about teh Ques-Tec system which is only in I think nine ballparks. There was an article in The Sporting News listing them, but I don't have it by me. That is the main, but I dont think only way they check umpires.

Blueprint1
06-23-2003, 01:45 PM
This would not have helped for that awful call on Maggs when he got thrown out at first base. Looking at the replay he beat the throw by at least a step. Bad bad call again.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This would not have helped for that awful call on Maggs when he got thrown out at first base. Looking at the replay he beat the throw by at least a step. Bad bad call again.

*****! I saw those replays and IF he was safe it was by an inch. The two replays I saw his foot was either 2" above the bag when the ball hit the mitt or the ball was 2" from being in the pocket when the foot hit the bag. It wasn't conclusive in any sense of the word, IMO.

It didn't help that Maggs foot hit midway through the bag. If he hits the front of the bag, he is probably safe, but he didn't. It was a bang-bang play...

Blueprint1
06-23-2003, 03:43 PM
you must have seen a different replay than i saw. You do know that i tie goes to the runner in baseball right? He was safe .

Meixner007
06-23-2003, 03:49 PM
you must have seen a different replay than i saw. You do know that i tie goes to the runner in baseball right? He was safe .

I'd have to agree with you. At the very least it was a tie. I thought it was pretty clear also.

Nellie_Fox
06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
I didn't get to see the game, but on radio they were saying that the big issue was that the first baseman's foot was clearly off the bag as he cheated off the base to get the ball sooner.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 04:13 PM

That's a misconception. It isn't in the rulebook anywhere. In reality, there is "no such thing as a tie". The umpire is not allowed to make the call "safe due to tie".

Just thought I'd clear that up. It was way to close to call according to the replays I saw during the game.

Hangar18
06-23-2003, 04:24 PM
HAHAHHAAAA!!! They DONT. thats the problem. Wish I had
a Job where my performance could be POOR borderlining AWFUL,
and I wouldnt have to worry about my job. And on top of that,
Not only do i Get to SUCK at my job, but I dont have to be
Accountable for my actions/inactions. Id do what theyre doing
now. Baiting managers, start arguments, call whatever
kind of Strike Zone I feel llike on a particular day (depending on
my dinner reservations that evening) Man, thats a great
job. Get to travel on top of all that? man, where do I sign up?

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
HAHAHHAAAA!!! They DONT. thats the problem. Wish I had
a Job where my performance could be POOR borderlining AWFUL,
and I wouldnt have to worry about my job. And on top of that,
Not only do i Get to SUCK at my job, but I dont have to be
Accountable for my actions/inactions. Id do what theyre doing
now. Baiting managers, start arguments, call whatever
kind of Strike Zone I feel llike on a particular day (depending on
my dinner reservations that evening) Man, thats a great
job. Get to travel on top of all that? man, where do I sign up?

Don't forget those incredibly difficult 4 hours a day spent working 6 months out of the year...