PDA

View Full Version : Hasn't the media been Cub-centric this weekend?

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 07:01 PM
I noticed in the major daily newspapers Saturday and Sunday that coverage of the games we won was rather Cub-centric. Sure, our beat reporters had their articles and notes in each paper. Nevertheless, the overall tone from both the Sun-Times and the Tribune (gee, what a surprise) has been that the White Sox did not win those games but that the Cubs lost them. It's as if it was not a Chicago team playing the Cubs but an out of town team like St. Louis or Cincinnati.

I am already dreading Monday's papers, which will assuredly have a Cub-centric tone and proclaim this as a great victory unlike the previous two days. I am really not looking forward to Jay Mariotti, whose column today was not about the great offensive effort of the White Sox but all about Wendell Kim's blunder.

People in the media always deny accusations made by us that the media has a preferential attitude in the Cubs' favor over us. Yet, more and more evidence surfaces that makes our accusations solid. That is not to single out all the media. We have some media allies of our own in addition to reporters whom I believe are fair and balanced.

Nevertheless, the media's Cub-centricism whenever we play the Cubs is most nauseating.

i_luv_jgarland
06-22-2003, 08:04 PM
I didn't even bother reading any of the articles. The glory of watching them obliterate the flubbies would be tainted by the annoying fact that it would be biased toward the cubs. I must say though that it was very satisfying listening to the announcers say things like "well there's no way to sugar coat this... this is a bad day for cubs fans" It doesn't matter if you are in 1st place or not when you are getting your a$$ whooped by a sub .500 team from cross town.
:)

Iwritecode
06-23-2003, 10:44 AM
I found out this weekend that the media bias isn't restricted solely to Chicago papers.

I opened up Saturday's Rockford Register Star hoping to read about the Sox complete blowout of the Cubs. Should be the front-page of the sports section right? Nope... You'll never guess what was there instead... In big bold print accross the top was (this may not be and exact quote) "Cub fans say: We want Lowell" ***??? The Cubs get blown out in one of the biggest series of the entire season and they worry about whether or not the Cubs trade for a third-basemen? That's just complete and utter BS. BTW, I finally found a small column on page two about the Sox win.

Sunday I was hoping would be a little bit better. It was, but not much. The headline was actually on the first page this time but it said something like "Cub's rally falls short." I guess it would kill them to actually put the words 'Sox' and 'win' in the same headline...

It's like I've always said... If (and that's an enourmous if) the Cubs and Sox were to ever meet up in the WS and the Sox won it, there would be a giant headline accross the front page saying "Cubs lose WS!"

Who wants to say there's no media bias now?

Boog?

jortafan
06-23-2003, 11:26 AM
I can see the reason for focusing on how the Cubs did this weekend. They are in a pennant race, and their losses managed to knock them out of first.

While it is not inconceivable our team could be in a pennant race, they're not there yet. They're still below .500, with teams ahead of them. If the Sox knock off Minnesota (and they will have their chance with six of their nine games against the Twins), then the Sox will be worthy of equal treatment.

They may not get it, particularly from the downstate Illinois newspapers (and I'm counting Rockford as downstate in that it is outside of the Chicago area). Downstate Illinois is so National League-oriented, with the Cardinals/Cubs thing dominating local baseball interest. The White Sox are an urban thing.

Iwritecode
06-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
They may not get it, particularly from the downstate Illinois newspapers (and I'm counting Rockford as downstate in that it is outside of the Chicago area). Downstate Illinois is so National League-oriented, with the Cardinals/Cubs thing dominating local baseball interest. The White Sox are an urban thing.

OK, you can call Rockford just about anything but "downstate". It is 15 minutes from Wisconsin. We get more coverage about the Brewers than the Cards. Other than that, I understand your point. With the Cubs, Cards, Brewers, and even the Iowa Cubs the entire state of Illinois seems to be National League-oriented. The Sox can't even get fair treatment in their own city...