PDA

View Full Version : worst baseball experience ever.


Blueprint1
06-22-2003, 07:11 PM
This was my worst baseball experience ever. The Cubs fan around me kept spouting off negative things about the sox. He said that Colon was not used to batting. I had to remind him that he won 10 game in the NL yesterday. After that he said that the sox fan started a fight in the bleachers because he was mad about how bad his team was. I said well were only 4 games worse than you are. He then threatend to take me outside and beat my ass. I tought this was slightly over the edge. I don't think ive ever met bigger jerks at a baseball game. Most games at the Cell i can have a baseball discussion or get in a point with the person around me without someone saying they are going to punch me in the face if I dont let them yell out stupid things about my team. I think Wrigley is an awful place to watch a baseball game. I am so glad we took 2/3 from these jerks.

HawkDJ
06-22-2003, 07:16 PM
My section was pretty evenly split between Cubs and Sox fans. There wasn't any yelling or fighting between them so I actually had a nice experience....well besides the fact that the Sox lost and that a post completely blocked my view of the pitcher so all I saw was a ball popping out of a post.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This was my worst baseball experience ever. The Cubs fan around me kept spouting off negative things about the sox. He said that Colon was not used to batting. I had to remind him that he won 10 game in the NL yesterday. After that he said that the sox fan started a fight in the bleachers because he was mad about how bad his team was. I said well were only 4 games worse than you are. He then threatend to take me outside and beat my ass. I tought this was slightly over the edge. I don't think ive ever met bigger jerks at a baseball game. Most games at the Cell i can have a baseball discussion or get in a point with the person around me without someone saying they are going to punch me in the face if I dont let them yell out stupid things about my team. I think Wrigley is an awful place to watch a baseball game. I am so glad we took 2/3 from these jerks.

Was the guy under the influence of firewater? In any case, I thought we were the only fans in town who are mean SOB's. It was my impression that Cub fans are scientifically incapable of being mean in any way!

LuvSox
06-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
He then threatend to take me outside and beat my ass.

You showed tremendous class today Blueprint by refraining from beating up a retarded person.

Kilroy
06-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This was my worst baseball experience ever.

Your first mistake was going to that piss-hole to see the Sox play.

TRL
06-23-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
....well besides the fact that the Sox lost and that post completely blocked my view of the pitcher so all I saw was a ball popping out of a post.


The whole post thing drives me nuts. I went to a game at Wrigley last August and sat right behind a post and couldn't see home plate or the batter. It was the most horrible expreience at a baseball game in my life.

I just don't understand the obsession with that ballpark. Some day someone will have to explain it to me. It can't be the sun because half of the place is in the shade and if there is any wind it is freezing, it can't be the girls because there are good looking girls in little clothing in every ballpark in the country during the summer, the beer....every park has beer. I just don't get it. I was hugely disappointed when I made my first trip there. I would even rather go to the Metrodome to watch a game than Wrigley.

chisox06
06-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Well I would have to agree with the bad expierence. Today was my first trip to Wrigley. My Dad has always prided himself one the fact that the only time he was there he got sick, threw up in the 7th and had to leave. But after hearing all the hype about this joint, and of course getting free tickets I was real excited to go today.

First off, I dont know what the hell all the hype is about. One of my good friends (who wont admit he's a cubs fan) said its the best place on the earth to watch a ball game, give me a break. We were in the second row in the upper deck reserve, luckily the 2 seats next to me were unoccupied or else I would have had a giant pillar in my way. The bathrooms smell like something unholy, and there is some kind of major breakdown when it comes to leaving that place, I stood still in a line for about 15 mins before anyone moved, ridiculous. At the cell its down the ramp and out ya go.

As for the park itself, yea its cool its right in the city but the "old school" aura of the place was annoying to say the least. Yea they have weeds on there outfield wall, who the hell cares. After attending Wrigley, the cell is a 100% much better place to watch a game, hands down. Not to mention the very cool "atari like" graphics they had on the center field info screen.

Also Ive finally came to the conclusion that cub fans really are idiots. WHY IS IT AFTER EVERY FLY BALL ALL THE CUB FANS GO CRAZY LIKE ITS 12 ROWS DEEP? These people have serious mental problems. Especially when it came to Sammy when he pooped out to center, I thought the roof was gonna come off, I found that to be real hilarious.

Were any of you near that HUGE brawl in center field? I saw it, from a distance and it still looked pretty ruthless!

LuvSox
06-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by TRL
I just don't understand the obsession with that ballpark. Some day someone will have to explain it to me.

It's typical White America. These are the same people that buy the bigger SUV than their neighbor, wear all of the "in" retro clothes & think they're Italian because they eat at Olive Garden. Someone (Chicago media) told us that Wrigley is the place to be. Some of us smarter folk haven't fallen for it. By the way Cubbie fans, Bud tastes like ****.

soxrme
06-23-2003, 09:58 AM
The most over hyped ball park in the country. Harry Carry built it up and the Cubs who actually have a marketing dept. with a brain ran with it. It is not a great place to watch because of the posts, the concessions are not good and the washrooms are slightly above Soldier Field. Two out of three is not bad, we should have swept, but lets get the same in MN and then next weekend and we can make our run.

FJA
06-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
By the way Cubbie fans, Bud tastes like ****.

I'd hate to know what you think of the $5 Old Style. :smile:

My dad also prides himself on only going twice ... the second time was a few years ago when he had to go with some clients from work. The first time was when he was younger and Ernie Banks hit his 500th home run ... I can excuse that one.

Other than Saturday, when I actually stayed and watched the game, my only other time at the Urinal was a Mark Grace lovefest a few years ago (when he returned with the Diamondbacks). Two friends and I had free tickets behind a few poles, talked Sox history for seven innings, stayed to hear Bill Self and the Illini basketball team sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (we were all at U of I at the time), and then left to take pictures at the corner of Clark and Addison with our "CUBS SUCK" shirts on. We have a great one from right in front of the Cubby Bear with all of the Urinal in the background, and I think I might make it into a poster one of these days.

Anyway, this was my first Sox/Flubs game there, and I don't understand the hype at all. I've had a lot more fun at the Cell.

Iwritecode
06-23-2003, 11:05 AM
This thread reminds me of something that happened about a week ago. One of the local radio DJ's (a self-proclaimed Cubs fan) around here managed to take his very first trip to USCF about a week ago. The first thing he said when he started telling the story was, "That place really isn't that bad."

It's amazing how many times you hear a Cubs fan (or just about anyone who's never been there) take their first trip to USCF and find out that it's not nearly as bad as everyone tries to make it out to be.

Then you turn around and listen to a Sox fan describe their first experience at Wrigley. I always here the same thing. "This is it? What's the big deal? I like USCF better..."

:)

Jerko
06-23-2003, 11:08 AM
I have not been at the Urinal since 1990, and that was only to see the Reds play that year. The place was a dump then; I can only imagine how it is now 13 years later. To all you 'first timers' this weekend, sorry about the bad experience, but at least now you can diss that dump and actually have proof that it really does suck there. As for the 'beautiful people' myth, go to a Sox Saturday night game when it's nice out and you will see some sights that would put Wrigley field to shame, and I'm not talking about the scoreboard. Also, any team whose trademark is being 'cute' deserves to be abused. Oh, the Cubbies, the loveable losers, I bleed Cubbie Blew, Sammy hit a homer, we have the best fans, etc. The only reason the Cubs even have a fan base is because they have loser fans who are so useless that they can leave work early every day to get drunk without being missed at work. If the Cubs played all night games even the people that live there would want them run out of town because it just gives the drunks more time to get drunk and fertilize their lawns.

alohafri
06-23-2003, 11:26 AM
from TRL-I just don't understand the obsession with that ballpark. Some day someone will have to explain it to me.

We went to the Urinal Sat. with our scrub fan friends. I was telling the wife how nice the Cell is these days (she hasn't been there since last year's Sox-scrub Sat. game). I told her there were some improvements that made the park "homier" or something like that. Her reply? "I like the food and I like the views but Comiskey Park has no charm ".

That about sums up the typical scrubbie defense of the Urinal. I guess the stink, the gawd-awful "views", the p*ss they try to sell as "beer" (and the pig snouts they call "hot dogs")and the seats so close together that you can't put your arms at your side are what constitutes "charm".

HawkDJ
06-23-2003, 11:30 AM
I hate Wrigley too but I've been there many times so I'm "used to it". It's amazing how much I miss the various scoreboards at the Cell when I'm at Wrigley. They really make the game more fun and more interactive.

By the way, I wasn't very near the fight but I was on the first base side so I could see it pretty well. Maggs kept looking up at the fight instead of concentration on the game.

ChiSoxBobette
06-23-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Your first mistake was going to that piss-hole to see the Sox play.


AMEN!

Blueprint1
06-23-2003, 11:42 AM
This was not my first time at Wrigley i try to go to one game against the Sox every year. First time i had to get off that stupid ramp it took 30mins to get down

THE_HOOTER
06-23-2003, 11:43 AM
I dont even want to know what anyone here thinks of Old Comiskey.

Then again, I bet a whole bunch of you never even made it there.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
from TRL-I just don't understand the obsession with that ballpark. Some day someone will have to explain it to me.

We went to the Urinal Sat. with our scrub fan friends. I was telling the wife how nice the Cell is these days (she hasn't been there since last year's Sox-scrub Sat. game). I told her there were some improvements that made the park "homier" or something like that. Her reply? "I like the food and I like the views but Comiskey Park has no charm ".

That about sums up the typical scrubbie defense of the Urinal. I guess the stink, the gawd-awful "views", the p*ss they try to sell as "beer" (and the pig snouts they call "hot dogs")and the seats so close together that you can't put your arms at your side are what constitutes "charm".

There it is in a nutshell. I actually tried to have this conversation with a flubbie fan friend. He couldn't believe that ANYONE would EVER say ANYTHING bad about Wrigley. I point out the problems with the amenities, bathrooms, seats, etc. He laughs and says what does that have to do with it?

Wrigley is filled with history - that is what markets it. FOW only want to talk about tradition. They ignore all the other stuff because they choose to.

Soxpark is a good place to watch a game, but has none of that "history". And, yes, I realize the irony of talking about history for a team that hasn't won a WS in almost 100 years. I agree - Soxpark is a much better place to watch a game if you really want to watch the game...

DrCrawdad
06-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
My section was pretty evenly split between Cubs and Sox fans...

I wonder what Les Grobstein's headcount turned up for the game? After Friday's game Les emailed me and said, "There weren't more than 2,000 Sox fans".

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I wonder what Les Grobstein's headcount turned up for the game? After Friday's game Les emailed me and said, "There weren't more than 2,000 Sox fans".

I was at Sunday's game, and I think it was at least 25-30% Sox fans, possibly more. Les must be blind, or looking only at the bleachers or something.

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This was my worst baseball experience ever. The Cubs fan around me kept spouting off negative things about the sox. He said that Colon was not used to batting. I had to remind him that he won 10 game in the NL yesterday. After that he said that the sox fan started a fight in the bleachers because he was mad about how bad his team was. I said well were only 4 games worse than you are. He then threatend to take me outside and beat my ass. I tought this was slightly over the edge. I don't think ive ever met bigger jerks at a baseball game. Most games at the Cell i can have a baseball discussion or get in a point with the person around me without someone saying they are going to punch me in the face if I dont let them yell out stupid things about my team. I think Wrigley is an awful place to watch a baseball game. I am so glad we took 2/3 from these jerks.

I was in the upper tank about 5-6 rows from the top, and I must say that everyone in our section behaved incredibly well. There weren't even any nasty comments made by either side, and this is after my friend and I and the Sox fans in front of us chanted "Cor-ky" when Sham-ME* came to the plate once. When the Cubs won it, there was no taunting directed toward us, so props to the Cub fans around us...

I will say that Wrigley's seats are really uncomfortable, and I am not a big guy by any stretch. Also, in the upper deck, standing in line to get a beer 3 feet from the packed urinal (lowercase) is sort of disgusting.

And, it took us eons to get out of the park. The exit out onto Waveland was like molasses, due to all the nimrods hanging out outside for the "ambiance."

steff
06-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ
My section was pretty evenly split between Cubs and Sox fans. There wasn't any yelling or fighting between them so I actually had a nice experience....well besides the fact that the Sox lost and that a post completely blocked my view of the pitcher so all I saw was a ball popping out of a post.



Mine was pretty tame as well. But I did have this one girl.. she said "you guys suck this year" . I said "yep, we sure do. But at least we don't cheat".

My Cubs season ticket holder friend and the others in his section said they'd "get her" for me - I guess this group knows eachother pretty well. As we were walking back to the car.. him a a couple others in the group spit on her. ROTFLMAO!! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in all my life!

Perfect ending to the day.

steff
06-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I dont even want to know what anyone here thinks of Old Comiskey.

Then again, I bet a whole bunch of you never even made it there.

I was there for many, many games. It was a dump. But, IMO, Wrigley is way worse.

steff
06-23-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I was at Sunday's game, and I think it was at least 25-30% Sox fans, possibly more. Les must be blind, or looking only at the bleachers or something.

Way more then that. It was more closer to 50/50. We had more Sox fans in our section (242 row 5). And most of the Cub fans were actually watching the game and talking about past history with me. I had a good time because of them.

voodoochile
06-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Mine was pretty tame as well. But I did have this one girl.. she said "you guys suck this year" . I said "yep, we sure do. But at least we don't cheat".

My Cubs season ticket holder friend and the others in his section said they'd "get her" for me - I guess this group knows eachother pretty well. As we were walking back to the car.. him a a couple others in the group spit on her.

I want to start by saying that I have no desire to fight with you, but I couldn't let this go without a comment...

That's the most childish disgusting thing I've read about in a long time. There should be no place at sporting events for people like that. They should have been arrested for assault. If someone did that to a friend of mine, I would kick their ass or die trying. I'm sure somewhere out there is a person who agrees with the title of this post 100%, but she thinks it is Sox fans who are the idiots. I'm not surprised by the fact that the guys who did it are flubbie fans. I guess it just proves the title of this thread.

ROTFLMAO!! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in all my life!

Perfect ending to the day.

Somehow I doubt you would feel the same way if her friends spit on you...

maurice
06-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
There should be no place at sporting events for people like that. They should have been arrested for assault.

Ditto.

Twins8791
06-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Mine was pretty tame as well. But I did have this one girl.. she said "you guys suck this year" . I said "yep, we sure do. But at least we don't cheat".

My Cubs season ticket holder friend and the others in his section said they'd "get her" for me - I guess this group knows eachother pretty well. As we were walking back to the car.. him a a couple others in the group spit on her. ROTFLMAO!! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in all my life!

Perfect ending to the day.
Confirms what I suspected.

Chicago = classy!

hose
06-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Confirms what I suspected.

Chicago = classy!


confirms what I suspected.

Twins8791 = troll

:troll

Blueprint1
06-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Why is "Twins8791" still posting on this board. I thought you guys got rid of Trolls

voodoochile
06-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Why is "Twins8791" still posting on this board. I thought you guys got rid of Trolls

Because he really isn't that trollish. I can hardly fault him for cracking on the incident in question when I ripped on it myself a few posts before that.

Maybe someone else feels differently.

steff
06-24-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I want to start by saying that I have no desire to fight with you, but I couldn't let this go without a comment...

That's the most childish disgusting thing I've read about in a long time. There should be no place at sporting events for people like that. They should have been arrested for assault. If someone did that to a friend of mine, I would kick their ass or die trying. I'm sure somewhere out there is a person who agrees with the title of this post 100%, but she thinks it is Sox fans who are the idiots. I'm not surprised by the fact that the guys who did it are flubbie fans. I guess it just proves the title of this thread.

** Yep. Point proven.



Somehow I doubt you would feel the same way if her friends spit on you...

** Difference is, I would never have behaved the way she did. Get off the horse Voodoo... I'm not condoning it, and I'm a bit insulted at your response given that you know me.
That's how they act there. Which is why I found it to be funny. Par for the course.

steff
06-24-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Confirms what I suspected.

Chicago = classy!


Yep. Cub fans at their finest!

hose
06-24-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Because he really isn't that trollish. I can hardly fault him for cracking on the incident in question when I ripped on it myself a few posts before that.

Maybe someone else feels differently.


That crack wasn't trollish?

hsnterprize
06-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Your first mistake was going to that piss-hole to see the Sox play. Well, we're entitled to make a few mistakes in life. Besides, I personally don't see going to the Urinal Park at Clark and Addison (my spoof of Oriole Park at Camden Yards) a "mistake". Don't misunderstand me...I'm not recovering from a twinge from Flubbie Kool-Aid. I've been there a few times covering games, and the place is pretty much like other WSIers have said. The concourses are smaller than my living room, the smell of stale beer and urine fill the air after a game, and I think driving home on the Stevenson during rush hour is faster than walking through the concourses after a game. Not to mention, you'd think the Flubs would be smart enough to put some elevators behind home plate to give the press easier access to the press box. Nope. Okay...so I'm whining, but it's true. It's almost like climbing Mount St. Helens to get to that place with all the ramps you have to walk. And to top it off, once you get to the box, you have to climg a couple of flights of pretty steep stairs to get to the press area. I think those stairs are steeper than the Cell's upper deck, but you won't hear that from a Flubbie fan.

It's so much easier to move around and get comfortable at the Cell. Whether you're walking in the concourses, or in the press boxes, USCF is so much nicer. Now, I'll admit I'm one of those who tooted the "improve the ballpark" horn, and I'm glad Uncle Jerry is finally doing something to make that place a little better than it was. But if you ever get a chance to see the view of the field from inside the press box, it's simply fabulous. Imagine the view of the field from the front row of the UD behind home place. Where I am, it's about 10 feet lower. It's about the same height as the view from the front row of old Comiskey, only not as far back.

While I can understand the "charm" of UP@C&A, that's about all there is to talk about. I'm tired of bumping into every drunk Cub fan in the world after a game, and the concourse is looking more like a "mall" every day (Gee...where have we heard that before?). Let's face it, as long as the Flubs market "beautiful Wrigley Field" as a tourist attraction, every Chicagoan could stay from that place, and it'll still be filled to capacity because of the out-of-towners who frequent the place. A frield of mine told me he was riding the "el" on Saturday, and he ran into a couple of young ladies from New Orleans who were going to watch the Flubs game (ha, ha...the Flubs lost, anyway.). Those women were acting like they were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras because they gave him a couple of strings of beads, and flashed him. So much for wanting to watch the game. I wonder if they and how many others went to Murphy's after Chris Chelios sang in the 7th inning?

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Well, we're entitled to make a few mistakes in life. Besides, I personally don't see going to the Urinal Park at Clark and Addison (my spoof of Oriole Park at Camden Yards) a "mistake". Don't misunderstand me...I'm not recovering from a twinge from Flubbie Kool-Aid. I've been there a few times covering games, and the place is pretty much like other WSIers have said. The concourses are smaller than my living room, the smell of stale beer and urine fill the air after a game, and I think driving home on the Stevenson during rush hour is faster than walking through the concourses after a game. Not to mention, you'd think the Flubs would be smart enough to put some elevators behind home plate to give the press easier access to the press box. Nope. Okay...so I'm whining, but it's true. It's almost like climbing Mount St. Helens to get to that place with all the ramps you have to walk. And to top it off, once you get to the box, you have to climg a couple of flights of pretty steep stairs to get to the press area. I think those stairs are steeper than the Cell's upper deck, but you won't hear that from a Flubbie fan.

It's so much easier to move around and get comfortable at the Cell. Whether you're walking in the concourses, or in the press boxes, USCF is so much nicer. Now, I'll admit I'm one of those who tooted the "improve the ballpark" horn, and I'm glad Uncle Jerry is finally doing something to make that place a little better than it was. But if you ever get a chance to see the view of the field from inside the press box, it's simply fabulous. Imagine the view of the field from the front row of the UD behind home place. Where I am, it's about 10 feet lower. It's about the same height as the view from the front row of old Comiskey, only not as far back.

While I can understand the "charm" of UP@C&A, that's about all there is to talk about. I'm tired of bumping into every drunk Cub fan in the world after a game, and the concourse is looking more like a "mall" every day (Gee...where have we heard that before?). Let's face it, as long as the Flubs market "beautiful Wrigley Field" as a tourist attraction, every Chicagoan could stay from that place, and it'll still be filled to capacity because of the out-of-towners who frequent the place. A frield of mine told me he was riding the "el" on Saturday, and he ran into a couple of young ladies from New Orleans who were going to watch the Flubs game (ha, ha...the Flubs lost, anyway.). Those women were acting like they were in New Orleans for Mardi Gras because they gave him a couple of strings of beads, and flashed him. So much for wanting to watch the game. I wonder if they and how many others went to Murphy's after Chris Chelios sang in the 7th inning?



The smell, the tiny concourse, the seats behind posts are what the Tribune Co. would call ambience. You 've gotta hand it to their marketing department. They've managed to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

BTW, enjoy the press box while you can. One of the tentatively planned improvements is to turn it into an upscale restaurant a la the Stadium Club. No word was ever given out by the Sox on where they planned to put the ladies and gentlemen of the press, but knowing The Chairman, it will probably be where the nosebleed seats are now in the upper deck. My guess is that he will probably have you guys climb a ladder up there from the outside of the park.

xil357
06-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The smell, the tiny concourse, the seats behind posts are what the Tribune Co. would call ambience. You 've gotta hand it to their marketing department. They've managed to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.


Very true.

As someone who majored in history and who is now pursuing a masters degree in history, I cannot be accused of being someone who doesn't appreciate history. History is one thing. Comfort/discomfort is something else entirely.

Old Comiskey was a dive. The obstructed views, the narrow aisles, the seats and the crowded filthy bathrooms sucked. So it was the site of the 1917 WS and the first All-Star game. Too bad some of it was not converted into a museum or monument. But by the 1980s it was not a good place to watch a ballgame.

Wrigley sucks even more. Its too hot or its freezing. All the beefs with Old Comiskey apply, but the problems are more severe at Wrigley. The Cubs are good at making lemonade out of the lemon, but with all the manufactured hype, there's no way they can move to a new stadium or make drastic but needed improvements required to make it a nice place to watch a game. The fans must be comfortably numb to enjoy a game in a rat hole like that.

As a Sox fan I hope the Cubs build a new suburban park. After the novelty wears off, this would give us a true picture of the sizes of each Chicago team's respective fan base. Then they could rip out the upper deck and make Wrigley a little league park since the dimensions are so small.

Perhaps The Cell doesn't have the charm of places like Camden Yards. But guess what -- Camden Yards ain't exactly selling out right now. Neither are any of the other new "retro" ballparks in other cities with teams that are not as successful as hoped. Pittsburgh. Cleveland. Denver. Arlington. Milwaukee. Even Houston. If it hasn't started already, look for Cincinnati and even the stadium that opens in Philly soon to suffer rapid attendance declines after the novelty wears off.

The only new ballparks that draw well are Pac Bell and Safeco. What do these parks have in common? WINNING TEAMS! The novelty has worn off all of the other "great" stadiums. Comiskey II was the first new one, and its novelty wore off just when other stadiums opened. The Cubs aren't selling their team, they are selling the "historical ambience" of the Urinal. People who buy it are brainless lemmings. The Sox problems have nothing to do with the upper deck or lack of historical ambience. That's a myth fueled by a generally lazy and uncritical media (of course this does not apply to PRogers, Lip, Dan H. and hsnterprize). The Sox drew very well when they won from 91 to 94 and then attendance dropped with the 94 strike, then White Flag.

The only people who care about the historical ambience are elitists like Gammons and Costas and other East Coast Baseball Fascists. Anyone who worries about it while the game is going on is an idiot.

Gettysburg is historical. Stonehenge is historical. Ground Zero is historical. The Baseball Hall of Fame is historical. The Urinal is The Urinal is The Urinal, and will always be The Urinal.

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to WSI and a Sox fan all my life.

Just wanted to add my two cents to this whole Wrigley discussion. I have been saying for years that the whole image of this place has changed. It probably began with Harry Caray and the Cubs team that won in '84. Think about it; the year before ('83) was when Lee Elia went off on his famous tirade against the fans. Back then only 3,000 or so went to Wrigley to see Cubs games. No one gave a damn about the Cubs or Wrigley Field during those years. But after the good '84 team and Harry Caray getting the fans into it, Wrigley Field suddenly went from a dive to this beautiful, grand place to see a ballgame. I never bought into that B.S. The park itself really DID NOT CHANGE. Only peoples' perspective of it changed. I don't know why that is so difficult to figure out. It seems rather obvious to me.

If the Sox can ever find something to change everyone's image and perspective of them just like the Cubs had, we'll be exciting too. Until then, it is what it is. But I remain a fan regardless!!

GO SOX!!!

voodoochile
06-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
** Difference is, I would never have behaved the way she did. Get off the horse Voodoo... I'm not condoning it, and I'm a bit insulted at your response given that you know me.
That's how they act there. Which is why I found it to be funny. Par for the course.

Which is why I was surprised by your comments - which seemed to be condoning it. I don't find that type of behavior funny. That's all. Never have, never will. Like I said, I'm not surprised it happened at Wrigley.

voodoochile
06-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
Hi everyone. I'm new to WSI and a Sox fan all my life.

Just wanted to add my two cents to this whole Wrigley discussion. I have been saying for years that the whole image of this place has changed. It probably began with Harry Caray and the Cubs team that won in '84. Think about it; the year before ('83) was when Lee Elia went off on his famous tirade against the fans. Back then only 3,000 or so went to Wrigley to see Cubs games. No one gave a damn about the Cubs or Wrigley Field during those years. But after the good '84 team and Harry Caray getting the fans into it, Wrigley Field suddenly went from a dive to this beautiful, grand place to see a ballgame. I never bought into that B.S. The park itself really DID NOT CHANGE. Only peoples' perspective of it changed. I don't know why that is so difficult to figure out. It seems rather obvious to me.

If the Sox can ever find something to change everyone's image and perspective of them just like the Cubs had, we'll be exciting too. Until then, it is what it is. But I remain a fan regardless!!

GO SOX!!!

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

LongLiveFisk
06-24-2003, 12:28 PM
>>Hey, Welcome Aboard! <<

Thanks, Voodoo! :smile:

I'm hoping this is a much better place to talk Sox baseball than some other troll-dominated sites I've come across. Not mentioning any names...

Nellie_Fox
06-24-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Confirms what I suspected.

Chicago = classy! Oh, please. I'm tired of Twin Cities baseball fans (both of them) being smug about Chicago fans. Let's revisit the time when the game had to be delayed because of the "classy, Minnesota-nice" fans throwing things at Chuck Knoblauch. And let's not forget about rioting and burning cars because the Gophers won the NCAA hockey title.

Every town has jerk fans.

TornLabrum
06-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by LongLiveFisk
I'm hoping this is a much better place to talk Sox baseball than some other troll-dominated sites I've come across. Not mentioning any names...

Trolls here are dealt with swiftly and expeditiously.

WSPav
06-25-2003, 12:57 PM
What's the difference between Wrigley Field and a bag of dog @#$%?.....The bag!!! I wouldn't wiz on that place if it was on fire. I spent Friday and Saturday and the "Friendly Confines" and found nothing friendly or cozy about it. The sight lines blow, the seats are too small, the food sucks, the beer is Bud (nuff said), and the fans are absolute morons. The only positive thing about my experience was the outcome of the games. Let's sweep their sorry butts this weekend!!!

voodoochile
06-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by WSPav
What's the difference between Wrigley Field and a bag of dog @#$%?.....The bag!!! I wouldn't wiz on that place if it was on fire. I spent Friday and Saturday and the "Friendly Confines" and found nothing friendly or cozy about it. The sight lines blow, the seats are too small, the food sucks, the beer is Bud (nuff said), and the fans are absolute morons. The only positive thing about my experience was the outcome of the games. Let's sweep their sorry butts this weekend!!!

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

With an attitude like that, you'll fit right in...

mrwag
06-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
It's typical White America.

Let's leave race out of this one. Keeping up with the Jones's doesn't know skin color. Me being white, I find that comment a bit obnoxious.

White, black, red, doesn't matter - WRIGLEY SUCKS!

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Only thing I like about Club Wrigley is the Girls. Thats it.
and at some point, they get annoying to me, so I end up
liking nothing about the place.

Randar68
06-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Only thing I like about Club Wrigley is the Girls. Thats it.
and at some point, they get annoying to me, so I end up
liking nothing about the place.

Yep, about the time they start talking...

Hangar18
06-25-2003, 01:39 PM
I'll have to share a couple of funny excerpts here about
Sundays game. I was in the upperdeck, directly below the
WGN sign. About 50/50 as far as fans go up there (sox/cub)
Some Cubfan gives me the completely Tired comment "hey konerko, Who has the real park?" I laughed and told him
If I wanted to go to a Museum, Id go to the Art Institute.
The whole section busted out laughing, cub fans too.

Best story I Must share with my friends here was Sat nite.
I went to the BackYard Bash on Greenview & Belmont. I went
to see Dread Zeppelin (theyre a comical LedZeppelin/Elvis "tribute" band) Towards the end of the show,
TortElvis during "Heartbreaker/Heartbreak Hotel", passed the
mic to me at the front of the stage, so i could sing a quick verse,
Which, in my best Elvis impersonation, changed the lyrics to say
"White Sox won....Two in a Row, Tomorrows gonna be THREE in a row" at which the whole street CHEERED and booed my lyrics.
I couldnt stop laughing, the band was taken aback by the reaction of the sox fans and cub fans in the crowd, and said WOW, White Sox Huh? They got a taste of what this
Rivalry was all about.

hsnterprize
06-25-2003, 06:01 PM
"BTW, enjoy the press box while you can. One of the tentatively planned improvements is to turn it into an upscale restaurant a la the Stadium Club. No word was ever given out by the Sox on where they planned to put the ladies and gentlemen of the press, but knowing The Chairman, it will probably be where the nosebleed seats are now in the upper deck. My guess is that he will probably have you guys climb a ladder up there from the outside of the park."

Thanks for the "tentative" warning. I only put that word in quotes because I've heard rumors like that for the past few years. The press box is a 2-level area, with the top level for the TV and radio crews, stadium operators (scoreboard/videoboard), etc., and the bottom level is for all the TV, radio, and print media. I don't know how or where the press would be repositioned if the rumored change is to happen. This isn't the first time I've read or heartd about such rumors, and it probably won't be the last. Still, thanks for the tip.

BTW, if you or anyone wants to find out about ballpark renovations for next year, the best thing to do is keep your eyes and ears open to this site. I've tried to get information from the Sox PR staff directly, and either they didn't know, or I couldn't quote anyone for saying anything. I respect the wishes of anyone who wants to remain anonymous...wouldn't want to cost anyone their job unless the situation is right. However, if I find out anything from the Sox I can use, I'll post it here.

Finally, LongLiveFisk and WSPav...WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!!!

LongLiveFisk
06-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Finally, LongLiveFisk and WSPav...WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE!!!!![/COLOR] [/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

Well thanks, buddy! And don't mind my posting screw-ups in the early going here. Learning the ropes!

GO SOX!! :D:

blackjack
06-25-2003, 06:41 PM
I went to the game Friday afternoon. My friend originally had seats, but stupidly traded them for bleachers. When we entered the park just before game time, there was barely room to stand up out there, let alone seats. Then wherever we tried to stand to see the action, some Cub employee would tell us that we couldn't stand there. We finally watched from the stairs leading up to the upper portion of the bleachers, where our view was largely obstructed. They must sell twice as many bleacher tickets as there are seats. What a joke. Terrible experience all around, except for the result of the game. The beer sucked (Old Style or Special Export) and the bathrooms are at ground level so it takes at least 10 minutes to take a piss. As far as the post-game nightlife, every place around the park becomes packed like sardines. You can have it Cub fans. Never again.