PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two radio stations:

ChiSox14305635
06-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Jesse Rogers and the Score were all over Manuel for the 8th inning call, and a bunch of callers were blaming Manuel for the loss. Over on ESPN Radio 1000, Dave Wills and Bill Melton were defending Manuel's call, and one guy who started slamming Manuel got CHEWED OUT big time by Wills. This guy has to be one of the biggest Sox fans on the planet. I hate the Score, because I swear, they're always chewing out the Sox.

hose
06-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Wills and Melton said they were going to wait to hear from Manuel before junping all over him.

Bruce Levine reported that after the 7th Colon told Cooper he was alright but to get the bullpen ready.

ilsox7
06-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Sportstalk radio sucks, imo. Just a bunch of big ego broadcasters who have been given a microphone and a platform. Doesn't interest me...

Lip Man 1
06-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Just wondering.....

How many times do the Sox deserve to be ripped? (remember their record this year and the past two seasons before you answer)

Lip

ChiSox14305635
06-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Ed Farmer reported, that apparently, Colon's hand started hurting, thus the decision was made to pull him.

hose
06-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
Sportstalk radio sucks, imo. Just a bunch of big ego broadcasters who have been given a microphone and a platform. Doesn't interest me...

Bruce Levine is in the club house before and after the game asking the players and manager direct questions.

This first hand information is then discussed over the radio....better than reading Mariotti talking about empty blue seats

ilsox7
06-22-2003, 05:12 PM
I consider that reporting, which is all good. I was referring more to these hosts of shows who just get on the air and rant and rave about anything and everything. But good point about a lot of it better than the people in print.

ChiSox14305635
06-22-2003, 05:17 PM
The way how they're dogging Manuel is unreal on the Score. The Score sucks!

ilsox7
06-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Sounds like I'd get along just great with the Score! I'm sorry, but if you cannot see that manuel is not the right manager for this team, then you haven't been watching this season.

The lack of fundamentals on this team is poor. Those are the things that a manager can control by drilling and drilling the team in spring training.

The lack of passion in these players. Again, a reflection of leadership, or so called leadership in this case.

An inability to manage a line-up. We all know that manuel picks his line-ups out of a hat before each game.

The poor management of the bullpen. How many times has one of manuel's lefty-lefty or righty-righty moves blown up in his face?

These are the reasons, as a whole, why manuel deserves every bit of crap he is getting right now. In fact, he deserves the ultimate: goodbye job.

CHISOXFAN13
06-22-2003, 05:31 PM
I like Dave Wills, but I'm frankly tired of him backing up every mistake Manuel makes. I know you have to be a corporate kiss a**, but tell it like it is sometimes. I prefer listening to J. Hood's postgame show because he, too is a Sox fan, but he's not afraif to tell it like it is.

Viva Magglio
06-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Am am glad that we at least got attention on the Score. Yesterday, the Score was totally Cub-centric after our Saturday victory. Jesse Rogers and Joe Bartosch's shows were not about how we won and how we took the series but how bad the Cubs were. Like the Cub-centric tone of the newspapers, it was as if we were not a Chicago team but St. Louis and Cincinnati.

Granted, Cub fans calling up the shows helps manifest the Cub-centricism. A number of them called up Saturday angry at Wendell Kim. And we Sox fans rarely do a good job representing ourselves on the Score. I guess that changed today from what I could hear, as angry Sox fans called up Jesse Rogers to complain about Manuel taking Colon out.

dickallen15
06-22-2003, 10:09 PM
If the Sox would have won 1-0, would the Score have bashed Dusty Baker for pitching to Olivo with Colon on deck when he hit the sac fly? I doubt it.

voodoochile
06-22-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
If the Sox would have won 1-0, would the Score have bashed Dusty Baker for pitching to Olivo with Colon on deck when he hit the sac fly? I doubt it.

Exactly how much does Dusty deserve to be bashed this year? Haven't the flubbies been in a dogfight for first all year long? That team is playing over its head. Dusty deserves some credit for that fact.

Kilroy
06-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Dusty deserves some credit for that fact.

Yeah, but not as much as he's getting. To hear our media tell it, Dusty is turning water into wine.

It's not like he took the same team as last year that sucked ass and turned them into a 1st place team. They have a whole new infield for chrissakes.

dickallen15
06-23-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Exactly how much does Dusty deserve to be bashed this year? Haven't the flubbies been in a dogfight for first all year long? That team is playing over its head. Dusty deserves some credit for that fact.

The season isn't over yet. The pitch counts Dusty lets his young guys accumulate will start to really add up. I'm just saying he gets a free pass, the strategy to pitch to Olivo with Colon on deck was questionable and Miguel made him pay. If the same thing happened the other way and Manuel pitched to the 8th place hitter and he hit a sac fly with a weak hitting pitcher on deck, he would be toasted. Does anyone know if the guys selling the Sammy is a Corksucker shirts will be around next weekend?

daveb816
06-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Jesse Rogers is a moron about baseball who should stick to hockey. ALL he talked about for two hours was the Colon decision, like nothing else happened in the game. He raved about the Sox small ball and refused to say anything vs. the offense, when they scored a grand total of ONE run in the game. He also ripped Manuel for not walking Bonds ten days ago, which wold have been a terrible move.

The guy is simply overmatched when discussing baseball.

Grobber33
06-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15

I did,and the Cubs won 2-1 but I was still all over Dusty for pitching to Olivo and also for NOT pinch hitting for Miller(who bounced into an easy 4-3 DP)in the 7th. If you had my FORMER Station on,you missed it. LES

TornLabrum
06-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
Ed Farmer reported, that apparently, Colon's hand started hurting, thus the decision was made to pull him.

That was pure speculation on Farmer's part.

TornLabrum
06-23-2003, 05:24 PM
I'll repeat here what I posted in another thread. They played the tape of what Rafael Santana reported Colon as having told Don Cooper and Jerry Manuel when they asked him how he was. His reply was, "I feel okay, but you'd better get someone warming up in case somebody gets on base.

Read that last part very carefully. It appears to me to be a slap in Gen. Disarray's face for not having anyone warming up until two batters after Bonds' grand slam in the Giants game, not an admission of being tired.

The complete quote puts a whole different spin on things than the Sox "braintrust" was trying to put on it.