PDA

View Full Version : We're facing Wood and Prior

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 01:48 AM
from the Trib:

Estes' and Clement's struggles have the Cubs on the verge of being swept. Carlos Zambrano will try to prevent it in Sunday's game, and the Sox won't see Kerry Wood and Mark Prior until next weekend at U.S. Cellular Field.

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030621cubssoxgamer,1,5679010.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

Is there something they aren't telling us. :smile:

Just another blunder by the crack trib reporting staff...or is it....

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 04:28 AM
what are you getting at? the old pitchign switch? i don't know necessarily if dusty would be willing to scuff up his rotation for this purpose when it seems like zambrano is a very capable pitcher...wouldn't it be more demoralizing to be swept when wood or prior pitches than a tertiary starter?

i suppose you could look at it the other way too...but i don't know if it's that necessary...

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 04:33 AM
I think the writer was refering to the series at the cell. Baker came into this "crosstown classic" not knowing the importance, the magnitude, the atmosphere. I think he's been completely taken off guard. I wouldn't be surprised if Estes missed his next start to give Wood and Prior a chance at the cell. That's what i was trying to get at.

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 04:48 AM
ahh..i thought they were planning on pitching wood and prior at cellular? who are they projecting as common knowledge pitching?

DrCrawdad
06-22-2003, 05:11 AM
IIRC there was a discussion here about the pitching match-ups at Wrigley and the Cell. At the time I believe that Wood was to pitch but not Prior.

If the Cubs adjust their rotation, so be it. Prior and Wood are certainly very good pitchers but it's not as if they are unbeatable.

I'm reminded of last years game Friday against the Cubs. The Cubs had 8 runs on the board with Wood pitching. Prior was scheduled to pitch on Saturday with Clement to close on Sunday. Well on that Friday when the Cubs were leading big, a Cub fan sitting behind me said that the Sox were without a doubt going to be swept. The Sox came back to beat Wood and then on Saturday the Sox won against Prior. Of course that boastful Cub fan was no where to be found once the Sox came round to win on Friday.

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 05:22 AM
i think right now at the cell the rotation for the flubs is clement, zambrano, wood...but if estes missed his start it could be zambrano, wood, prior. It doesn' scare me. We actually hit power pitchers better. If estes or clement either could find the plate, we would have been in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if we faced wood and prior next weekend...just like i wouldn't be surprised if sham-me doesn't play next weekend...for fear of his life.

voodoochile
06-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Meixner007
i think right now at the cell the rotation for the flubs is clement, zambrano, wood...but if estes missed his start it could be zambrano, wood, prior. It doesn' scare me. We actually hit power pitchers better. If estes or clement either could find the plate, we would have been in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if we faced wood and prior next weekend...just like i wouldn't be surprised if sham-me doesn't play next weekend...for fear of his life.

Well right now, Wood and Prior HAVE to pitch Tuesday and Wednesday. There is just no two ways around it unless the flubbies go to a 6 man rotation. Since the off day is Monday, they get the extra day's rest now. The only way to pitch them both is for them to both go on 3 days rest. If Dusty does that, we will know we are deep inside his head and that he has finally acknowledged the moment, but also know he crazier than Ron (woo) ny (woo) woo (woo) woo (woo)...

Tragg
06-22-2003, 11:22 AM
It's a break not to face Prior, but bring Wood on.