PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 Back

Meixner007
06-21-2003, 09:44 PM
And loving life. :gulp:

ilsox7
06-21-2003, 09:45 PM
And the Royals are losing. And the Astros are winning. Life is good tonight... :gulp: :gulp:

BearSox
06-21-2003, 09:55 PM
We've picked up four games in a weeks times! How fast the tides can turn in baseball. Mabye we do have a glimmer of hope, this series against the Twins this week could be a major one as far as momentum for the season.

xil357
06-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by BearSox
We've picked up four games in a weeks times! How fast the tides can turn in baseball. Mabye we do have a glimmer of hope, this series against the Twins this week could be a major one as far as momentum for the season.

Agreed. Winning on Sunday would be a major momentum-builder going into the Twins series. The Sox could be making their move at this point. When they get back to AL rules full-time they need Frank at 1B and Daubach at DH, full time.

Gumshoe
06-21-2003, 11:14 PM
the Twins wouldn't be that solid this year, but the jury is STILL out on the Sox. Our right handed relievers are BRUTAL, and Manuel won't pitch Marte, our best guy. This is a major problem. If we don't get anything out of Rick White soon, it won't matter. If we can't win the close games, we won't be able to win throughout the rest of the year. Manuel with the pen and Koch sucking the worst right now, jeez. Put Marte in!!! Please Jerry!

I hope we can do it, but I still have doubts. Tomorrow is BIG, of course.

Gumshoe

Dan H
06-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
the Twins wouldn't be that solid this year, but the jury is STILL out on the Sox. Our right handed relievers are BRUTAL, and Manuel won't pitch Marte, our best guy. This is a major problem. If we don't get anything out of Rick White soon, it won't matter. If we can't win the close games, we won't be able to win throughout the rest of the year. Manuel with the pen and Koch sucking the worst right now, jeez. Put Marte in!!! Please Jerry!

I hope we can do it, but I still have doubts. Tomorrow is BIG, of course.

Gumshoe

I agree with this post. The main reason the Sox have picked up ground is that the Twins have tanked it during the past two weeks. The Sox are still under .500 and until they get past that, I'll hold on the hope springs eternal stuff.

As much as I want them to sweep the low life Cubs, I think the series against the Twins is more important. Establishing something against Minnesota is key if the Sox are serious about doing something in the AL Central.

And if the Sox should win the division, I hope it is with some kind of decent record. Taking a division with 83 or 84 wins is a hollow victory unless you do something dramatic in the playoffs.

voodoochile
06-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I agree with this post. The main reason the Sox have picked up ground is that the Twins have tanked it during the past two weeks. The Sox are still under .500 and until they get past that, I'll hold on the hope springs eternal stuff.

As much as I want them to sweep the low life Cubs, I think the series against the Twins is more important. Establishing something against Minnesota is key if the Sox are serious about doing something in the AL Central.

And if the Sox should win the division, I hope it is with some kind of decent record. Taking a division with 83 or 84 wins is a hollow victory unless you do something dramatic in the playoffs.

That's it in a nutshell. Beat the Twinkies or go play golf...

MarqSox
06-22-2003, 10:41 AM

In sports, it's all about survive and advance. A 10-9 win is worth just as much as a 15-3 win, and a 84-78 division championship is just as much a division championship as is 100-62. The goal is a World Series, not a fancy 95-win season.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
In sports, it's all about survive and advance. A 10-9 win is worth just as much as a 15-3 win, and a 84-78 division championship is just as much a division championship as is 100-62. The goal is a World Series, not a fancy 95-win season.

I agree. I'm from the Malcolm X school of "by any means necessary." I would gladly trade all our 90+ win seasons for just one like the '87 Twins: 85 wins and a world championship. :smile:

oldcomiskey
06-22-2003, 11:06 AM

if the Sox should win the division, I hope it is with some kind of decent record. Taking a division with 83 or 84 wins is a hollow victory unless you do something dramatic in the playoffs. [/B]

unless you win 4 games in the world series everything is a hollow victory

Tragg
06-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Don't we have 3 games against the twins this week? Those should decide whether we have a shot at this, or whether 4.5 is a result of a mini-twin slump.

kevingrt
06-22-2003, 11:38 AM
This is beautiful unless we go into a slump when we face the Twinkies this upcoming week in the Crap Dome.

voodoochile
06-22-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Don't we have 3 games against the twins this week? Those should decide whether we have a shot at this, or whether 4.5 is a result of a mini-twin slump.

That slump is becoming a bit more than "mini". The Twins are really struggling right now. They've lost three series in a row including the one they are in the middle of with the Brewers.

The weird part is they are losing at home recently and beating teams on the road - at least before these past two road series that is.

They are giving up a ton of runs and like the flubbies, they are only as good as their pitching.

Time will tell if the trend will continue, but they are definitely not some unbeatable force. Hopefully the Sox can win today and go into Minnesota ready for a fight...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-22-2003, 12:39 PM
Playing the White Sox always seems to put the Twins back on the right track again. I call it Joe Mays-itis. It all started with him back in '99. Now it has spread to the entire team. :smile:

MRKARNO
06-22-2003, 12:44 PM
Twin pitching has been god-awful in the past 2 rotation turns (10 days or so). Their offense was still pretty good though and scary coming into the Brewers series, but it suddenly stalled. Against the Royals they kept staging comebacks, some full and some partial, but they were getting multiple people on base every inning it seemed. It's important that when we face them that we walk them as few times as possible because those walks are much more likely to turn into runs

Tragg
06-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Playing the White Sox always seems to put the Twins back on the right track again. I call it Joe Mays-itis. It all started with him back in '99. Now it has spread to the entire team. :smile:

I think we went into the twinkie dome in may, fresh off of a sweep of baltimore, and stunk it up for 3

MRKARNO
06-22-2003, 12:53 PM
If the sox are going anywhere this season, they're taking 2 or 3 games from the Twins in this upcoming series

valposoxfan
06-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I think we went into the twinkie dome in may, fresh off of a sweep of baltimore, and stunk it up for 3
Sweeping the Cubs (God willing...) is a lot bigger accomplishment than sweeping the O's. A lot more momentum going into THIS Twins series if we sweep the Cubs than the previous one...

Fridaythe13thJason
06-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
Sweeping the Cubs (God willing...) is a lot bigger accomplishment than sweeping the O's. A lot more momentum going into THIS Twins series if we sweep the Cubs than the previous one...

Correct. The one thing we're all forgetting (or maybe pushing out of our minds) is that besides this series being against our bitter rivals, this is a series against a division leader. The Cubs are a pretty good team (I think they've played over their heads, but they are good nonetheless.) Sweeping any division leader is terrific and could give this team a boost. They've been pretending to break out of thisfor about 1.5 weeks now, and maybe this can finally complete the breaking out party.

gosox41
06-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Twin pitching has been god-awful in the past 2 rotation turns (10 days or so). Their offense was still pretty good though and scary coming into the Brewers series, but it suddenly stalled. Against the Royals they kept staging comebacks, some full and some partial, but they were getting multiple people on base every inning it seemed. It's important that when we face them that we walk them as few times as possible because those walks are much more likely to turn into runs

You got that Billy-boy?
:gascan