PDA

View Full Version : Offense dies after initial bursts

SouthSideHitman
06-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Now no one has enjoyed these past two days of actual offense from the Sox more than yours truly and the fact that they did it to the cubs in just incredibly sweet gravy. However the problem is that after the offensive outbursts, the Sox have just not done anything with the lumber for the rest of the games, as evidenced by the fact that the Sox have been outhit both games. My worry is that the Sox were just pumped up for the cubs series and got a few too many fastballs down the pipe and that they won't be able to keep putting these kinds of runs, which should be a given for this lineup. Although the Sox have looked great this series, I think we should all keep calm and wait to bury the era of the dead bats over until we do this for a week.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Clement was throwing batting practice. Once he was gone, Manuel's line up was held hitless and scoreless. There is no surprise here. We've seen something like it all season long.

:jerry
"Having my best hitter sitting on the bench for pinch-hitting duty is like a dream come true. God how I love National League baseball!!!"

Jurr
06-21-2003, 06:12 PM
You're missing a few obvious points, though.
#1. When a team gets a big lead, be it the Mariners, the Braves, or the 1927 Yankees, there is a tendency to want to cruise on through to the end of the game. That's the way it goes. Your approach changes and you're alot less focused...no pressure.
If you look at any of the good teams that have blasted the Sox early this year, their production tails off big time after that big outburst. It's a fact of baseball, from little leagues to the pros. Your focus drops and you go on cruise control.
#2. Clement wasn't throwing a bunch of fastballs. He's a slider pitcher, and he was hanging quite a few. The Sox had a great approach and hit him hard. In the past two games, they've been going opposite field, in the gaps, and up the middle....these are all really good signs that the team is focusing at the plate and taking a good approach. Yes, it helps that the Sox have faced two breaking ball pitchers on days that the ball wasn't breaking too much, but you can't refute the facts. They were disciplined when they had to be, took walks, and made some great 2 OUT RBI HITS. These are all signs that the offense is coming around. Crede had a big day, which is important. If you can combine Crede, Thomas, Lee, and Ordonez all getting hot with the quality starts that Colon, Buehrle, Loaiza, and Garland are putting together, this team is going to be scorching hot this summer. You should look at the facts instead of making some hard core pessimistic spin on a good thing.
#3. We've been seeing some increasingly good defense played by the boys. Crede had a great play today, they turned some timely double plays, the throw at the plate was great, Ordonez had a clutch sliding catch, and Paul's big throw to second to get Goodwin in the 9th. This is something we've been missing...the fundamental "little things' that lead to wins or losses. if we learn how to bunt, we'll be dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soxwon
06-21-2003, 06:22 PM
all in all i say who cares-we took the lead and held it WE WON i enjoy that-And tommorow bring out your brooms its sweeps time

sox_fan_forever
06-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by soxwon
all in all i say who cares-we took the lead and held it WE WON i enjoy that-And tommorow bring out your brooms its sweeps time

Agreed. There are so many times throughout the season to feel depressed about the Sox. Tonight is a night to celebrate! I'll worry about the Sox offense some other time. :cool:

xil357
06-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Other than 80s Cardinals-like team that manufacture runs one at a time, the big innings tend to be the way things work. I would much rather that the Sox put together one or two big innings than having them get a couple of hits per inning and strand a whole bunch of runners over the course of a game. Any way they get the runs is completely fine with me, even better that they demonstrate they can put together a sustained attack with either consecutive singles and smart baserunning, extra base hits, or big homers with men on base.

I am pleased as punch that they aren't stranding a bunch of runners on base. This has has been an epidemic with Sox lineups since, well, as long as I can remember. There is nothing more discouraging than reading the box score in the next day's paper and reading that the Sox stranded 9 or 10 runners on base and lost, say, 4-2, and the opposing team only left, like, three men on base.

Gumshoe
06-21-2003, 10:25 PM
With our right handed relief and the way Manuel uses the pen, I'm not convinced about anything. I love our starting rotation, and I know we'll hit, but god, we've blown SO many games so far in late innings because of our relievers and because of JM's ineptitude. It's crazy. I'm not getting too pumped yet. Let's see what we can do vs. the Twins ...

Go Sox!

Gumshoe

MRKARNO
06-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Maybe Reinsy will trade slumping prospects for proven veteran hitters

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Clement was throwing batting practice. Once he was gone, Manuel's line up was held hitless and scoreless. There is no surprise here. We've seen something like it all season long.

:jerry
"Having my best hitter sitting on the bench for pinch-hitting duty is like a dream come true. God how I love National League baseball!!!"

according to the fox radar, clement was consistently hitting 95...compare that to koch who never cracked 92...

i don't know if that's batting practice?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
according to the fox radar, clement was consistently hitting 95...compare that to koch who never cracked 92...

i don't know if that's batting practice?

The Fox radar doesn't care whether or not the ball is over the plate. The batter--and the umpire--know better.

fquaye149
06-23-2003, 06:02 PM
koch wasn't exactly greg maddux though either