PDA

View Full Version : Did Nossek steal that sign?

Meixner007
06-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Yes or No.

ilsox7
06-21-2003, 04:01 PM
JP just said they had the steal "sniffed" out.

I sure as heck hope we don't hear crying about stealing signs. It's part of the game if it's done legally. Deal with it. Sox Win!

kevingrt
06-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Could have been Bruce Kimm

Jjav829
06-21-2003, 04:02 PM
In case there was any doubt, Josh Paul just acknowledged on the Fox post game show that it was Nossek who stole the sign.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
I sure as heck hope we don't hear crying about stealing signs. It's part of the game if it's done legally. Deal with it. Sox Win!

I'm not aware of anyway to steal signs illegally. Either you know how to do it, or you don't. It's not like the Sox had somebody in centerfield flashing the catcher's signs to the batter. Nossek was sitting on the bench watching Baker and Kim. End of story.

ilsox7
06-21-2003, 04:05 PM
The year Bobby Thomson his his famous home run, the Giants sat in the bullpen with a telescope to steal signs from the catcher, then would flash them to the hitter. I'd consider that illegal. Creative, but illegal. :)

voodoochile
06-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by ilsox7
The year Bobby Thomson his his famous home run, the Giants sat in the bullpen with a telescope to steal signs from the catcher, then would flash them to the hitter. I'd consider that illegal. Creative, but illegal. :)

That is illegal. However, knowing the opponents signals is just part of the game and the fact that a manager DOESN'T try should be grounds for dismissal.

duke of dorwood
06-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Something is wrong with the staff if they are not interested enuf in a game, in game situations, to be alert at these times.

Thunderstruck30
06-21-2003, 11:55 PM
They mentioned on Baseball Tonight that I forgot what team, but they would put a few coaches on the field in front of whoever was giving the signs so that Joe Nossek couldnt see him and therefore couldnt steal their signs. He must be pretty good then.

MRKARNO
06-22-2003, 12:04 AM
I voted for the first one but now after reading some articles, it has to be the second one

Kilroy
06-22-2003, 12:06 AM
Who needed to steal that sign anyway? They didn't pinch run because Scammy was tired.

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 03:23 AM
hell, you can steal signs all year long and proclaim it on high...that's the other team's problem...tipping our hand was a bad idea, although it seems everyone already knew nossek is a sign stealer...so no biggie...

here's the way i was taught the game...

if theyr'e stealing the 3rd base coaches signs and you know it...change your signs. if the runner on 2nd is stealing signs from the catcher, pitcher knocks a little paint off the batter's helmet...

that's just the way the game is played...and if the cubs complain...which would not be out of character...it's just too damn bad

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 03:31 AM
I completely agree. It is no secret what Nossek does. I too was taught the same thing when it came to signs. I've started picking up signs around pony league, which led to high school. There's a difference between swiping them from the 3rd base/manager, and signaling from 2nd base. They're 2 completely different things. I can see a flub saying that they;re the same...both cheating, but anyone who knows anything about the game understands the difference. They actually tried to start the cheating argument on the cub espn board...but the "knowledgable minority", as i like to call them, quickly put an end to the argument.

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 03:37 AM
^ well i wouldn't even say stealing from 2nd is cheating per se...just do it at your own risk..and it's the catcher's responsibility to mask his signs and hide them from the 3rd base coach... i mean...if he's just holding up just one finger for fast, 2 for curve...etc...it's almost as much a crime not to steal them as it is to let a sucker keep his money

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 03:44 AM
any good catcher should have no problem giving signs to the pitcher. If he even wanted to he could go to the mound and tell him what he wanted for the next at bat. I just think there's a difference between stealing a sign from the pitcher, as opposed to, from a manager. If you wanna steal the pitch call from the dugout, if that's where it's being called from, that's fine. I just think the fact that the only reason you can see the sign is because of where you are (second base) is not that fair. Everybody can see the dugout...not everybody can see teh catcher.

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 03:46 AM
good point...it doesn't even matter though...nossek is still in the right:)

Meixner007
06-22-2003, 03:49 AM
he earned his paycheck this week. REAL glad he's on our side. Didn't know he was this well known for being the "best in the buis" but it makes me happy. Hopefully he's one of many ace's we have up our perverbial sleeve.

doublem23
06-22-2003, 02:14 PM
If any of you have ESPNmotion on espn.com, watch the little segment called "Stealing signs in Chicago" for a nice piece on Nossek.