PDA

View Full Version : Koch


gosox41
06-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Billy-boy has been making things way too interesting for me. I've been against the trade since the day it was made as it has given me even more fuel against Kenny Williams.

So it brings me to my question. Do you think Billy Koch should be allowed to pitch in close games? I don't want to see him out there at all if the game is on the line at all. The closer position is overrated to begin with, but if the Sox and JM feel the need to have one make Marte the closer. I'm ready to see anyone else out there in a closer game...even Rick White. I can't stand Koch.

Bob

voodoochile
06-21-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Billy-boy has been making things way too interesting for me. I've been against the trade since the day it was made as it has given me even more fuel against Kenny Williams.

So it brings me to my question. Do you think Billy Koch should be allowed to pitch in close games? I don't want to see him out there at all if the game is on the line at all. The closer position is overrated to begin with, but if the Sox and JM feel the need to have one make Marte the closer. I'm ready to see anyone else out there in a closer game...even Rick White. I can't stand Koch.

Bob

That's always been his thing. Marte has been struggling recently. I say keep the ball in Billy's hands. Close only counts in horseshoes, hand granades and H-bombs...

DonkeyKongerko
06-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Marte was struggling and Koch was good for a short stretch there. Now Koch has reinvented himself: Instead of giving up HRs he just walks everyone and gives up singles. I think it's time to go back to the Bank of Marte.

Jjav829
06-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Thats what Billy Koch is. Hes not going to have a lot of quick saves. He is very John Wetteland-ish. But he can't be kept out of close games. Seriously, look at our bullpen. If we do that, it really makes for a one man bullpen. Look at it. Who would you rather have out there? We can't throw Marte for 2 innings everytime. That means that Koch or Gordon will have to pitch the 8th or 9th. Leave Billy in there, and load up on Rolaids.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Can someone tell me why Marte never got into this game? Does Manuel have any clue how to use his bullpen?

Jjav829
06-21-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Can someone tell me why Marte never got into this game? Does Manuel have any clue how to use his bullpen?

No and No.

kevingrt
06-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey we got the W, what else do you want?

duke of dorwood
06-21-2003, 04:28 PM
A little too much confidence in Gordon.

Marte will close tomorrow if its needed.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Marte will close tomorrow if its needed.

:jerry
"If Bartolo can't get through the tenth, I've got Marte ready to go!"

Tragg
06-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Koch is getting almost as scary as Mitch Williams was his entire career. I don't think that guy ever had an appearance when he didn't walk at least the first batter he faced.

gosox41
06-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Hey we got the W, what else do you want?

Not to feel my blood pressure rise every time Billy comes in and puts 2 men on base.

Also, is he hurting? He's not throwing anywhere near as hard as he used to.

Bob

kevingrt
06-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Not to feel my blood pressure rise every time Billy comes in and puts 2 men on base.

Also, is he hurting? He's not throwing anywhere near as hard as he used to.

Bob

I think he is... and Marte should close tom only after like the 13th when Colon is over 200 pitches

Daver
06-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by gosox41


Also, is he hurting? He's not throwing anywhere near as hard as he used to.

Bob

Don Cooper changed his delivery early in the season and it affected his velocity,in time he will regain it.

Kilroy
06-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Can someone tell me why Marte never got into this game? Does Manuel have any clue how to use his bullpen?

Well, if I remember, it was Grudzelanik (sp?), Patterson, Scammy, Alou. Only Patterson is lefty, and thats why JM didn't go to Marte.

I have a question:

How come Kroch always throws the first pitch 2-3 feet off the plate? I almost puked today when he did that...

Gumshoe
06-21-2003, 10:21 PM
I've been saying on this board for a LONG time that Marte is the no-brainer for anything relief for the Sox. Koch, as someone has said, puts 2 men on almost every time. If you play with fire like that, you'll get burned --- obviously he has already. Fro God's sake Jerry, put Marte in! He's blown so many games already not putting Marte in or putting him in after Gordon already blew the game.

We won't win close games in the long run if JM continues to use Koch and not Marte. Of course, I was a huge Foulke fan too, but I didn't hate Koch from the get go. He walks people though. He's a closer! Jeez, we can't have this. Move him, or use HIM as the setup guy. Wagner is the only guy who might be better than Marte as a lefty. Fine, he got hit by the Red Sox in that last game. Who cares? He's got a 1.1 something era and he's bound to strike out way more than he walks. Righties can't hit him, either.

Cheers, and keep it going Sox!

Gumshoe

koch44
06-21-2003, 10:44 PM
Why does everyone hate me at this message board? :)

But seriously, I think Manuel should let Marte close the tight ball games.

fquaye149
06-22-2003, 03:24 AM
i threw something at my wall about 8 times that inning...luckily it was a throw pillow...or that could have took its toll