PDA

View Full Version : Popular Statistic is Incorrect

fquaye149
06-21-2003, 02:30 PM
everyone's throwing around this stat:

"the white sox and cubs have combined to lose 14 straight playoff series"

i'm not gonna look it up...but did the sox not win a playoff series in 1959? i don't think the two teams have made the playoffs 14 times since then, have they?

some history buff help me out here?

voodoochile
06-21-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

i'm not gonna look it up...but did the sox not win a playoff series in 1959? i don't think the two teams have made the playoffs 14 times since then, have they?

No, there was no Championship series in 1959. You won the league during the season and went straight to the WS. They didn't split the leagues into divisions until later on.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by fquaye149

Before 1969 there was no playoffs besides the World Series itself. You prove yourself the best team across 154 games (later 162) you won the pennant and punched your ticket to the World Series.

The Sox haven't won a "playoff series" since 1917, the Flubs since 1908. Meanwhile, the contraction candidate "small market" Twins have two world championships in just the last 15 years.

Do you ever get the sneaking suspicion that baseball owners are a bunch of frickin' liars?

T Dog
06-21-2003, 04:50 PM
The Dodgers won the only playoff series in 1959. They tied with the Milwaukee Braves for the National League's best record. Had the Braves won the third game in the best-of-three, the Sox would have had to go to the northern suburbs instead of the west coast for the middle three games.