PDA

View Full Version : Contracting the Sox

CHISOXFAN13
06-20-2003, 02:15 PM
According to Mike North, Lester Munson told him that the Sox are on the list of two teams to be contracted.

The Devil Rays are the other.

North said Munson told him that Selig and Reinsdorf have a terrible relationship.

Thoughts?

mandmandm
06-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Read towards the bottom of this article about the relationship between dumb and dumber.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/rogers_phil/1570790.html

Gumshoe
06-20-2003, 02:49 PM
No way they contract an original AL team. In fact, don't even mention it again. Donald Fehr will NOT allow ANY team to be contracted. So don't worry.

And as for Reinie/Selig, they are both Jewish, I doubt they have a terrible relationship.

Gumshoe

jortafan
06-20-2003, 03:01 PM
While I don't doubt there are pinheads out there who view the original franchises as being such a boring drag on sports (Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago are probably yucky to them, compared to places like Las Vegas and San Jose, maybe even Charlotte), I have a hard time believing this one.

The legal battles that would take place from trying to wipe out Tampa Bay would be a mess for baseball. And I can't help but think the White Sox are safe, since the people who run the sport these days are so inept they can't even kill off the Expos (which they own), let alone a team that still wants to live.

Hullett_Fan
06-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
And as for Reinie/Selig, they are both Jewish, I doubt they have a terrible relationship.

Gumshoe

What the f*** does that have to do with it??!!!???

Gumshoe
06-20-2003, 03:11 PM
YOU decide, Timmy Hullett

fquaye149
06-20-2003, 03:17 PM
^it's a media conspiracy!

but there are a million teams that should be contracted before the sox

tigers, expos, padres, d-rays, marlins...anyone, christ even the orioles

A.T. Money
06-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

It means the Jews all stick together, that's all.

Gumshoe wasn't being anti-semetic, so keep your pants on. :smile:

Hullett_Fan
06-20-2003, 03:25 PM

OK, I've decided you're a dumba$$ that equates everything to stereotypes and generalizations.

JUGGERNAUT
06-20-2003, 03:39 PM
please explained to me why MLB would contract a team that ranks 18th out of 30 in total revenue?

What the WHITE SOX lack in attendance they more than make up for in LOCAL REVENUE (media & merchandising).

So this has to be the dumbest thing North has ever said.

As for contracting the Devil Rays, it will require a buyout of the 30 yr lease. Good luck. The only 2 teams that still remain viable candidates for contraction are : Twinkees & Expos. Both teams are operating on 1 yr leases.

You can likewise add KC, OAK, & FLA to that list because they are all operating on short leases with FLA having the longest of the 3.

Whether you stink or are playoff caliber contraction is all about revenue. There are 12 teams with lower revs than the SOX. Do the math.

Gumshoe
06-20-2003, 03:45 PM
Good job, Hullett_Fan

I think your conclusion brought you further from the truth, though. Don't be naive.

Go Sox!

Brian26
06-20-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
According to Mike North, Lester Munson told him that the Sox are on the list of two teams to be contracted.
Thoughts?

Yeah, it's the biggest load of horse **** I've seen in a long time.

And the Expos wouldn't be on that list of two teams?
The Sox would be on the list before the Expos? Are you serious? The Expos don't even have a tv deal in Montreal and have FAR less revenue in Montreal than the Sox do in Chicago.

That completely destroys the theory immediately.

doublem23
06-20-2003, 04:12 PM
North just wants some attention with everyone watching the game.

Idiot.

voodoochile
06-20-2003, 04:29 PM
No way they contract an original AL team. In fact, don't even mention it again. Donald Fehr will NOT allow ANY team to be contracted. So don't worry.

Gumshoe

Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

Originally posted by SoxDemon

It means the Jews all stick together, that's all.

Gumshoe wasn't being anti-semetic, so keep your pants on. :smile:

These comments can definitely be interpreted that way, so lets just leave religion out of the comments posted here, except in discussions related to religion in the Parking Lot. Thanks in advance. If you absolutely believe that religious similarities between people make them more likely to take care of each other, keep it to yourself.

Thanks...

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2003, 04:32 PM
I feel intelligence being drained from me just by having read these posts.

ssang
06-20-2003, 04:44 PM

Gumshoe

What the hell does that mean? Are you as ignorant as that statement??? IDIOT!

voodoochile
06-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ssang
What the hell does that mean? Are you as ignorant as that statement??? IDIOT!

Okay, I dealt with this later in the same thread. Let's let it die now. I really don't want to have to lock up this thread, but the next comment made it gets locked and moved.

MarqSox
06-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Unless their relationship deteriorated badly in recent years, JR and Bud were very tight. If Bud weren't commissioner, the odds we'd be hosting the All Star Game in a few weeks would be very slim.

Gumshoe
06-20-2003, 06:49 PM
My point exactly. All of you on this BS stereotype/generalization kick, please live in the real world. Furthermore, my original comment was not that divisive. It was a fact, and if you can't handle the reality of it, keep posting dumb responses.

In any case, the Sox are the of the town for tonight. I think we've got tomorrow too.

Let's work it.

Gumshoe :D:

Daver
06-20-2003, 06:59 PM
My point exactly. All of you on this BS stereotype/generalization kick, please live in the real world. Furthermore, my original comment was not that divisive. It was a fact, and if you can't handle the reality of it, keep posting dumb responses.

Bypassing the language filters and arguing with a moderator are both not a good course of action.

ewokpelts
06-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Selig and Reinsdorf are friends. Jerry went and broke his media silence to talk highly of Bud in SI last year.

voodoochile
06-20-2003, 08:05 PM

Your comments implied their closeness had something to do with their shared beliefs - something VM did not do and his comments were perfectly acceptable. You implied that anyone of that religion would do the same. Putting it bluntly - don't post those type of generalities here, ever again on any topic. Whether you think it is a fact of "the real world" really doesn't matter.

You want an argument on what is proper behavior, you came to the right place. You want to keep posting your own "dumb responses" - you can do it elsewhere.

I am not going to have this discussion ever again.

Originally posted by daver
Bypassing the language filters and arguing with a moderator are both not a good course of action.

That says it all...

gosox41
06-20-2003, 08:19 PM

Gumshoe

Not the brightest thing I've ever read here.

Bob

TommyJohn
06-20-2003, 11:42 PM

North said Munson told him that Selig and Reinsdorf have a terrible relationship.

Thoughts?

When is everyone going to realize what a boob, idiot, baboon,
jerk, doofus, moron, ding dong, slob Mike North is?

:ass

DAHHHHHHH!!!! I resemble that remark!!

Fisk72
06-21-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I feel intelligence being drained from me just by having read these posts.

I second that. In the words of the pricipal from the movie Billy Madison....."What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

captain54
06-21-2003, 02:49 AM

Thoughts?

This is the same guy that idolizes "the Three Stooges"

ChiSoxBobette
06-21-2003, 06:53 AM

Thoughts?
Just when you think Mike North's not so bad a guy (when it comes to reporting about the White Sox)he reports something that only proves he's a closet flub fan.

GO WHITE SOX!

Hangar18
06-21-2003, 08:37 AM
As unbelievable as that sounds, this is the Same League Leadership that brought us 1 strike, a near strike, a Botched
All-Star Game (how do you mess that up?), Added 2 teams
in a short-sighted attempt at generating revenue, Tried to
secretly Contract 2 different teams unsuccesfully, then
in a bad attempt at Marketing, changed the Uniforms of The
All Star Game. Sounds like a group of Buffoons in Charge
at the MLB if you ask me

Lip Man 1
06-21-2003, 12:06 PM
This is the third of fourth time that the media on a national stage have brought this issue up.

Loyal Sox fans / authors / historians like Rich Lindberg and Bob vanderberg have brought it up.

Phil Rogers, in my opinion, an honest unbiased reporter has talked about it.

Remember the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire," before dismissing it entirely.

This franchise is at a very difficult point in its existance.

The fans are not going to change their opinion of ownership which means they are going to continue to stay away.

Jerry Reinsdorf is not going to change his opinion of the fans or that they have to come out before he'll spend money.

This is a classic loggerhead with neither side changing. That puts the future of this club in jeopardy especially if Reinsdorf's son takes over in the near future.

I don't know what the future will hold but as Hangar 18 pointed out, MLB wonks haven't been the brighest have they?

Lip

JUGGERNAUT
06-21-2003, 12:48 PM
in revenue. So all of you who think there is fire here need to explain to me why MLB would contract the SOX before 12 other teams.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-21-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
This is the third of fourth time that the media on a national stage have brought this issue up.

Loyal Sox fans / authors / historians like Rich Lindberg and Bob vanderberg have brought it up.

Phil Rogers, in my opinion, an honest unbiased reporter has talked about it.

Remember the old saying "where there's smoke, there's fire," before dismissing it entirely.

This franchise is at a very difficult point in its existance.

The fans are not going to change their opinion of ownership which means they are going to continue to stay away.

Jerry Reinsdorf is not going to change his opinion of the fans or that they have to come out before he'll spend money.

This is a classic loggerhead with neither side changing. That puts the future of this club in jeopardy especially if Reinsdorf's son takes over in the near future.

I don't know what the future will hold but as Hangar 18 pointed out, MLB wonks haven't been the brighest have they?

Lip

Sorry, I might respect their opinions as sportswriters, authors, and historians, but clearly NONE OF THEM have a background in business. Cities like New York, Chicago, and L.A. are where MORE ballclubs are viable, not fewer. The TV revenue alone makes Chicago a better city for a second team than half the other franchises already in the league. Gimme a break with this stuff.

The only GOOD reason the Sox would be contracted is if Jerry Reinsdorf WANTS THEM to be contracted. If he could get a deal as sweet as the one Carl Pohlad nearly got for contracting the Twins, Reinsdorf would be just the spiteful, bitter old man to take it.

I guarantee as long as a mayor with the last name Daley runs Chicago, there will be MULTIPLE ownership groups interested in buying a team in Chicago. The Sox must be the most depreciated sports franchise in the entire league thanks to Reinsdorf's wrong-headed management. Everybody in the business world knows it--if not the idiots spouting nonsense at ESPN and elsewhere.

Tragg
06-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Sorry, I might respect their opinions as sportswriters, authors, and historians, but clearly NONE OF THEM have a background in business. Cities like New York, Chicago, and L.A. are where MORE ballclubs are viable, not fewer. The TV revenue alone makes Chicago a better city for a second team than half the other franchises already in the league. Gimme a break with this stuff.

Plus, Tampa is a top 10 television market and in the fastest growing state in the country (or one of the fastest). It would really be stupid to axe a Florida team.
If they insist on axing, front and center Minny and KC.