PDA

View Full Version : Great Column by Joe Cowley

Viva Magglio
06-20-2003, 09:10 AM
Boy, according to him, the Erik Kramer "To me, it's just another game" attitude is hard to find amongst our players. Let's hope they carry the Mike Ditka "I hate the Packers" attitude this weekend against the Cubs.

From the Daily Southtown: "Joe Cowley: Hate to say it, but White Sox despise Cubs" (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/201sd1.htm)

And you would be shocked to learn which players hate the Cubs most of all amongst the players:

:manos
Cowley infers: "@#$% the Cubs!"

:maggs
Cowley infers: "@#$% a los Cachorros!!! @#$% SHAM-ME*!!!"

Based upon that, I guess Manos would throw himself off the Sears Tower if he ever got traded to the Cubs.

Procol Harum
06-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Good to get this little bit of politically incorrect locker room insight on the eve of the two series. Maybe we can hope for a few wins after all.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Enjoyed the story! and Greg Couch in the Sun Times has a column today the crux of which is why do fans hate Frank Thomas and love Sammy Sosa.

In Couch's view it should be the other way around.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
06-20-2003, 10:28 AM
And in breaking news, the sun rose in the east this morning...

:)

Lip Man 1
06-20-2003, 10:56 AM
From "The Sporting News" September 20, 1993

Second City-The White Sox May be First In The A.L. West, But They Seem To Be Second Everywhere Else..." By Mark Newman

"It's amazing. We're a club that has been up on top all year. (The Cubs) have been fighting to stay at .500, and there have been days when you see them outdraw you..."--Ron Schueler.

I bring this up in regards to Cowley's column because while I admire the Sox for hating the Cubs, the issue is that the Cubs have done a far better job in marketing themselves PLUS they have usually spent the money needed (payroll of 75 million) to grab the off season headlines.

They haven't won much even with the money they have spent but do you really think that bothers the Tribune Company when the quarterly statements come out?

If the Sox players want to get angry at someone they should direct it at their own ownership. The Sox are second class citizens in their own town because to try to take on the Cubs directly would cost money...lots of it, and Uncle Jerry isn't going to do that. He'd rather make inane statements like "the Cubs have always owned Chicago," and make White Flag trades.

Which is ludicrous.

That's the "defeatist attitude," that Bob Vanderberg and others have referred to about the Sox. I think the players by and large care but I also think that they get to a point where they get totally frustrated that no matter what they do, win or lose, they'll always stay out of the limelight.

For twenty years of PR blunders, for giving the Cubs Harry Caray and Sammy Sosa, and for taking a "bunker mentality" against the media the finger has to get pointed right in the direction of Uncle Jerry.

That's where the fault REALLY lies. Just my opinion.

Lip

Randar68
06-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
From "The Sporting News" September 20, 1993

The Cubs are owned by the Chicago Tribune and they play in the world's largest bar that has a 30 dollar cover charge in the middle of the most concentarted 20-35 year old upper-class neighborhood in the midwest.

End of story.

MarqSox
06-20-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

For twenty years of PR blunders, for giving the Cubs Harry Caray and Sammy Sosa, and for taking a "bunker mentality" against the media the finger has to get pointed right in the direction of Uncle Jerry.

Harry was a senile, obnoxious, washed up announcer, and Sammy is a jagoff that you couldn't pay me to cheer for. And as far as a "bunker mentality," what would you call the mentality of 90% of WSI? Sheesh. I applaud JR for those 3 things, not point a finger at him ...

THE_HOOTER
06-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Holy Cow!

" Hey Steve, I bet he kisses her on the strikes, and she kisses him on the balls!!!!

Cackle, cackle. :harry&jimmy

pudge
06-20-2003, 12:53 PM
Ya know, I'm glad to see that our team will be fired up for this series, but honestly, the Sox don't have the right to hate anyone but themselves right now for being a crappy F'ing team. This "story" by Cowley would work better if the Sox were in first place and the Cubs were not.

I know we have a lot of Cowley fans on here, but what I've read of him lately frankly feels like Tabloid trash. I'm not saying the major "journalists" are any better, but Cowley just seems to like to make waves for the sake of making waves.

jeremyb1
06-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Ya know, I'm glad to see that our team will be fired up for this series, but honestly, the Sox don't have the right to hate anyone but themselves right now for being a crappy F'ing team. This "story" by Cowley would work better if the Sox were in first place and the Cubs were not.

I know we have a lot of Cowley fans on here, but what I've read of him lately frankly feels like Tabloid trash. I'm not saying the major "journalists" are any better, but Cowley just seems to like to make waves for the sake of making waves.

i appretiate cowly because he writes the stories other sports writers won't. you have to read it critically and question its validity just like any sports story but i think its a definate benefit that there is someone out there to show the side that's not politically correct that the trib or sun times won't write about.

pudge
06-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i appretiate cowly because he writes the stories other sports writers won't. you have to read it critically and question its validity just like any sports story but i think its a definate benefit that there is someone out there to show the side that's not politically correct that the trib or sun times won't write about.

I agree in the sense that it's good to have a different voice out there. The problem is, Cowley can sometimes load up on the negativity just to get attention. That article is pretty strong, saying that everyone "hates" the Cubs. Hate is a pretty strong word. I just think some of Cowley's stuff is a little immature, which, IMO, is actually *worse* than being politically correct.

T Dog
06-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Harry was a senile, obnoxious, washed up announcer, and Sammy is a jagoff that you couldn't pay me to cheer for. ...

In a White Sox uniform, Sammy Sosa was a different ballplayer. He wasn't very popular. Fans didn't forgive his flaws. On this board, he would have been a bum whose trade would have been celebrated.

As for Harry Caray ...

Sox fans who are happiest when complaining about their team certainly would have liked Harry Caray. Sox fans who believed that a baseball stadium was a place to go brain dead from alcohol certainly would have loved Harry Caray. Little kids who wanted to grow up to be alcoholics would have loved Harry Caray.

As the Sox announcer, Harry Caray did more bashing of Sox players than people today scorned as being anti-Sox media. He drove a couple of popular players out of town and helped drive Chuck Tanner out of town. In 1974, a man sitting in front of me in box seats on the first-base side explained how it had come down to a choice between Chuck Tanner and Harry Caray, and he was behind Harry. Anybody can manage. Chuck Tanner won a World Series a few years later, but he was in Pittsburgh.