PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Updates

NC_sox_fan
06-20-2003, 08:58 AM
At Kannapolis last night (they lost both ends of the double-header) I saw most of the Sox guys who are rehabbing. Since the Sox moved their rehab center to Catawba College in Salisbury, the guys no longer have to go to Tucson. There are, once again, a LOT of pitchers down here trying to get well. What is going on with the Sox pitching program????

Charlotte won both ends of their double-header again Ottawa yesterday. Birmingham was rained out.

Winston-Salem is 3 - 0 to start the second half of the Carolina League season. The Hogs swept the Potomac Cannons in a three-game series which ended last night with an 8 - 4 win.

From the Carolina League:
WINSTON-SALEM...Three Warthog pitchers combined to allow just one hit and face the minimum number of batters in a seven-inning, 3-0 shutout of Wilmington on June 13. LHP RYAN WING started and pitched three perfect innings, fanning three batters, LHP RYAN MEAUX took over and allowed the one hit over three innings to get the win and RHP JOSH FIELDS retired the final three batters to record his fifth save. The next night, OF JEREMY REED drove in the go-ahead run with a sacrifice fly in the top of the 10th inning to lift the Warthogs over Wilmington, 2-1. Reed, who was pinch hitting, knocked in SS MICHAEL MORSE, who reached on a single, with a one out fly out to center field. Reed was later promoted to Birmingham. Morse hit a grand slam in the fourth inning of a 10-6 victory over Wilmington on June 15. Morse, who fanned in each of his first two at-bats, drove in four runs for just the second time in his three-year career...RHP KRIS HONEL allowed just three runs over 25 innings in four starts May 29-June 14 (20 H, 5 BB, 24 SO), going 1-1 over that stretch.

BATTER OF THE WEEK
ERIC STOREY G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG SLUG OBP SB
Winston-Salem Warthogs 6 21 2 9 9 0 2 6 .429 .810 .455 2

No info on the rookie teams this morning.

gosox41
06-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
At Kannapolis last night (they lost both ends of the double-header) I saw most of the Sox guys who are rehabbing. Since the Sox moved their rehab center to Catawba College in Salisbury, the guys no longer have to go to Tucson. There are, once again, a LOT of pitchers down here trying to get well. What is going on with the Sox pitching program????

Charlotte won both ends of their double-header again Ottawa yesterday. Birmingham was rained out.

Winston-Salem is 3 - 0 to start the second half of the Carolina League season. The Hogs swept the Potomac Cannons in a three-game series which ended last night with an 8 - 4 win.

From the Carolina League:
WINSTON-SALEM...Three Warthog pitchers combined to allow just one hit and face the minimum number of batters in a seven-inning, 3-0 shutout of Wilmington on June 13. LHP RYAN WING started and pitched three perfect innings, fanning three batters, LHP RYAN MEAUX took over and allowed the one hit over three innings to get the win and RHP JOSH FIELDS retired the final three batters to record his fifth save. The next night, OF JEREMY REED drove in the go-ahead run with a sacrifice fly in the top of the 10th inning to lift the Warthogs over Wilmington, 2-1. Reed, who was pinch hitting, knocked in SS MICHAEL MORSE, who reached on a single, with a one out fly out to center field. Reed was later promoted to Birmingham. Morse hit a grand slam in the fourth inning of a 10-6 victory over Wilmington on June 15. Morse, who fanned in each of his first two at-bats, drove in four runs for just the second time in his three-year career...RHP KRIS HONEL allowed just three runs over 25 innings in four starts May 29-June 14 (20 H, 5 BB, 24 SO), going 1-1 over that stretch.

BATTER OF THE WEEK
ERIC STOREY G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG SLUG OBP SB
Winston-Salem Warthogs 6 21 2 9 9 0 2 6 .429 .810 .455 2

No info on the rookie teams this morning.

I've wondered what's wrong with the Sox pitching program since 2001, the Year of the Labrum.

Then I felt better after KW said it was just a fluke thing and the Sox are doing nothing wrong.

Bob

Randar68
06-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I've wondered what's wrong with the Sox pitching program since 2001, the Year of the Labrum.

Then I felt better after KW said it was just a fluke thing and the Sox are doing nothing wrong.

Bob

Look around the minors. Every team has these issues. The Sox draft and sign quite a few "Project" pitchers each year that have mechanical or injury issues already. You see this reflected in the health of some of these pitchers.

"The Space Needle" just went under the knife AGAIN and is going to miss his 3rd straight season for Seattle! Bean-Ball Ben is out again. It's all over baseball as a result of poor throwing programs and habits from little leagues on up.

Nobody just goes out and learns how to play baseball anymore. From Tee-Ball on up, the only thing parents and coaches are interested in is winning.

spanishwhite
06-20-2003, 03:10 PM
Jon "Moneyball" Adkins has a 25+ consecutive scoreless
inning streak.

Another tidbit. Danny Wright's first name is Jonathan

Imagine if we had

Jon Garland
Jon Wright
Jon Rauch
Jon Adkins

in the rotation next year.

jeremyb1
06-20-2003, 08:28 PM
its bizarre to see adkins throw so well. i guess he's been pretty streaky ever since he's been with us. it would blow my mind if something clicked with him and he became a good pitcher. he'll be 26 this season if he hasn't turned 26 already and he seems to do nothing well other than throw hard.

spanishwhite
06-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Thats why I think hed be a perfect fit for the bullpen.

He really is an enigma, though.

He throws a lot of hard stuff yet, he has very pitiful strike out
rates.

He can be completely dominating at some times, and at others
complete garbage.

I think KW thought he could get some consistancy out of Adkins,
we'll see if he can do it.

MarkEdward
06-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
its bizarre to see adkins throw so well. i guess he's been pretty streaky ever since he's been with us. it would blow my mind if something clicked with him and he became a good pitcher. he'll be 26 this season if he hasn't turned 26 already and he seems to do nothing well other than throw hard.

I still don't see anything special in Adkins. His ERA isn't that bad (although 4.50 is still pretty high), but his K rate is still very low (about 4 Ks per 9 innings) and he's still walking too many (3.6 BB per 9 innings).

I don't think he's going to be anything special.