PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs Fans Debate on CLTV Sports Page

hsnterprize
06-20-2003, 07:32 AM
Hey Sox Fans...just wondering if any of you saw any of the "roundtable" discussions on CLTV between Sox and Cubs fans this week. Personally, I think the conversations are pretty neat. I was invited to participate in them, but my work schedule couldn't be altered to accomodate the time. Nonetheless, the Sox fans were very articulate, and pretty much reflective of the intelligence of this website.

I did notice one of the Cubs fans take a rip indirectly at this site, as he said that Sox fans meet "on the chatboards" instead of at the ballpark. But other than that, Lou Canellis and Dave Eaton seemed to be pretty fair towards both teams' fans. There was one thing that caught my attention...Lou asked the fans' whether or not they'd pull for the other team if it made the World Series. The Cubs fans said if the Sox made it to the Series, they "wouldn't cheer against the Sox", but the Sox fans said if their team made it, many Cubs fans would pull out their Sox gear and root for them. As far as cheering for the Cubs, the fans said there wasn't any bigger of a thrill than seeing the Cubs blow the 7th game of a WS.

Lemme ask you this...is there really "jealousy" from us Sox fans because of all the positive press the Cubs get on a local, national, and internation basis? One of the Sox fans said there was. Let's face it...how many times have people, including myself, have written about just how much the local press kiss up to the Cubs over and over again. We all know about the Cubs being owned by the Tribune, and how much exposure they get no matter how good or bad they are. The Sox fan who said we fans are jealous of the Cubs' popularity said that in his hometown of Tampa, Florida, the Cubs are so popular, that not many people don't know the Sox exist.

BREAKING NEWS...Mike "WhiteSoxWilkes" Wilkins is on WGN TV right now debating with some sCrUBS fan. The sCrUB fan threw in a cheap shot before the end of the debating segment...no response from Wilkes.

And now...back to the original post. I can tell you from my "international" experience (I was stationed near Seoul, Korea back in 1992) that this gut is pretty much right. You won't see a bunch of Cub memorabilia all over the place, but if you watch the Armed Forces TV network, whenever there is a baseball game on TV, more than likely the Chicago team featured will be the Cubs. Me and an Army buddy listened to a White Sox/Yankees game on Armed Forces Radio...both teams were in top contention to meet in the ALCS that year, and it was a pretty neat game even though the Sox lost a close one. However, there was more exposure for the Cubs than Sox even back then. And now with Sammy Sosa is big as he is, there's no question who's the more popular team in this city. As much as we hate the fact the Cubs are getting the gloss-over while the Sox often get the once-over, there's no doubt the Cubs do have a popular flair with baseball fans from all over.

I'm still buzzing from Jay Mariotti's endorsement of us fans even though there are plenty of reasons to rip the guy. The seven biggest words in his opening day article that still shine in my mind like a bright light are...SOX FANS ARE BETTER THAN CUBS FANS. And as far as I'm concerned, he's 100% right. But of course, we already know that.

whitesoxwilkes
06-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Cannelis is a HUGE Sox fan, I had no idea of that until we taped on Monday. Mike Barz from WGN, on the other hand, clearly bleeds Cubbie Blue..suprising considering his Hoosier roots.

All in all it was a good time. Joe (my Cub fan counterpart on WGN) and I got along GREAT..he was way less arrogant than the punks they brought in for the CLTV panel. Boy did he get me with that joke about the AL Central being a "beer league" though. In hindsight, what should my response have been?

Make sure you check out the RedEye print edition. I got the award for "best Zing By a Sox Fan."

Hangar18
06-20-2003, 11:16 AM
I sure hope someone Taped Either of these...I missed BOTH!!!!
Sorry Wilkie... Hmm, what can I do to top that ? heh heh

Speaking of which, since I dont have Tix for Sats game...anyone
want to watch it at YakZies on Clark? WIlkes?

whitesoxwilkes
06-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I sure hope someone Taped Either of these...I missed BOTH!!!!
Sorry Wilkie... Hmm, what can I do to top that ? heh heh

Speaking of which, since I dont have Tix for Sats game...anyone
want to watch it at YakZies on Clark? WIlkes?

I'm booked all weekend...and not going to either game. So sorry.