PDA

View Full Version : Odd Cubs Trade

Viva Magglio
06-19-2003, 11:44 PM
This late evening, the Cubs have traded third baseman Mark Bellhorn and AA pitcher Travis Anderson to Colorado for José Hernández. It is presumed that Hernández will play third base, something he has seldom done for the past several years. Also, this shoots down the Mike Lowell speculation. Gee, for the upcoming crosstown series, did we and the Cubs exchange GM's for a day?

Also, it should be noted that Hernández is a close buddy of a current Cub known for his use of cork, and I'm not talking about using cork to cap wine bottles.

Vsahajpal
06-19-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
This late evening, the Cubs have traded third baseman Mark Bellhorn and AA pitcher Travis Anderson to Colorado for José Hernández. It is presumed that Hernández will play third base, something he has seldom done for the past several years. Also, this shoots down the Mike Lowell speculation. Gee, for the upcoming crosstown series, did we and the Cubs exchange GM's for a day?

Also, it should be noted that Hernández is a close buddy of a current Cub known for his use of cork, and I'm not talking about using cork to cap wine bottles.

No, it doesn't shoot down the Lowell speculation...um, unless the Marlins wanted Bellhorn (doubtful). Hernandez signed a 1-year deal and is owed like $600 K the rest of the season.

MHOUSE
What a strange trade. I don't know much about Hernandez, but why not try and steal Mike Lowell?

FJA
Gee, for the upcoming crosstown series, did we and the Cubs exchange GM's for a day?

Maybe they're having a showdown to see which organization can shoot itself in the foot better ... tomorrow, KW will clinch after trading to get back Todd Ritchie and Royce Clayton, and to boot, signing Jamie Navarro before Hendry has the chance.

Viva Magglio
06-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
No, it doesn't shoot down the Lowell speculation...um, unless the Marlins wanted Bellhorn (doubtful). Hernandez signed a 1-year deal and is owed like $600 K the rest of the season.

So are you saying Hernández and pitching prospects could go to Florida for Lowell?

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-19-2003, 11:55 PM
is this the brewer that last year almost set the strike out record but sat out the final 11 or so games of the season to avoid it? :smile:

FJA
06-19-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
is this the brewer that last year almost set the strike out record but sat out the final 11 or so games of the season to avoid it? :smile:

That's him.

Viva Magglio
06-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

:shammy
"He won't have to worry about embarrassing K's as a Cub with me around."

FJA
06-20-2003, 12:01 AM
So are you saying Hernández and pitching prospects could go to Florida for Lowell?

Baseball Tonight alluded to it as they were signing off ... called it a "possible pre-trade ... and Mike Lowell is still out there."

Vsahajpal
06-20-2003, 12:02 AM

I don't know if they'd want Hernandez, but something along those lines.

MHOUSE
06-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by FJA
Baseball Tonight alluded to it as they were signing off ... called it a "possible pre-trade ... and Mike Lowell is still out there."

Yeah I heard the same thing.

Viva Magglio
06-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by FJA

I saw somewhere that the Yankmees are also interested in Lowell. I can't remember where, however.

TRL
06-20-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm sure if the Boss really wants Lowell, he'll end up an Yankee.

MarkEdward
06-20-2003, 12:48 AM
Surely we could've given them Valentin for Bellhorn. Hernandez, according to VORP, is the worst SS in the NL (-8.2 VORP). Hernandez has a .670 OPS playing most of his games at Coors, for gosh sake!

As you can see, I really want Mark Bellhorn on our team.

Brian26
06-20-2003, 10:47 AM
Whatever happens, please God don't let Ventura end up on the Cubs. That would be just plain wrong.

Randar68
06-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Whatever happens, please God don't let Ventura end up on the Cubs. That would be just plain wrong.

Why in the world would the Yankees trade Ventura? Drew Henson will never be a MLB 3B.

Hullett_Fan
06-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Surely we could've given them Valentin for Bellhorn. Hernandez, according to VORP, is the worst SS in the NL (-8.2 VORP). Hernandez has a .670 OPS playing most of his games at Coors, for gosh sake!

:KW

"Now that you mention it MarkEdward, our lineup is short on LH guys with pop, also Crede has looked sickly at the plate. Oh well, too late now. Back to sleep..... z-z-z-z-z-z"

Brian26
06-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Why in the world would the Yankees trade Ventura? Drew Henson will never be a MLB 3B.

If the Yanks want Lowell, I assume Ventura might be expendable either this year or next year. Does it make sense to carry two starting third basemen?

doublem23
06-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
If the Yanks want Lowell, I assume Ventura might be expendable either this year or next year. Does it make sense to carry two starting third basemen?

About as much sense to carry 9 MLB starters (or so).

kermittheefrog
06-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

Mark I really don't get the thing for Bellhorn. He was clearly over his head last year. He spent a long time in the minors and couldn't even break through with the A's, the very team most likely to give him an opportunity. Right now his VORP is -0.7 and his MLV is -.139.

MarkEdward
06-20-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Mark I really don't get the thing for Bellhorn. He was clearly over his head last year.

Well, I don't think that he'll ever see a line of .370/.510, but it's safe to assume that he'll put up numbers like .350/.450 for his career. Take a look at his minor league stats.

He spent a long time in the minors and couldn't even break through with the A's, the very team most likely to give him an opportunity. Right now his VORP is -0.7 and his MLV is -.139.

Just because the A's got rid of him doesn't mean that he's not good. Miguel Olivo and Eric Hinske are examples. Also, Eric Chavez and Mark Ellis blocked his way onto the A's, so it's not like he had a real opportunity to make the team.

pearso66
06-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Bellhorn really isn't that good, he had 1 good year that I can think of.
I also heard that Hernandez has like 97 strike outs this yaer already. They mentioned it today during the game.

And for the Lowell trade, I was thinking maybe they wanted Alex Gonzalez(sp?) and the Cubs were trading for a replacement for him.

Risk
06-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Brilliant move Flubbies-Go get a guy who but for the merciful management by the Brewers manager last year (Davey Lopes) would have set the record for most strike outs in a single season and still could not cut it hitting at one of the most offense friendly stadiums in MLB history.

It's my opinion that you know your career is over when you suck on the Brewers and can't hit very well at Coors Field.