PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

TRL
06-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Was it just me or did Willie actually look like he knew how to play in the outfield today? Is he starting to figure it out, or am I just reaching to find something positive from a game we lost where we only gave up three hits?

maurice
06-19-2003, 05:55 PM
I didn't catch the whole game today (damn job), but Harris looked REAL crappy in CF yesterday.

voodoochile
06-19-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by TRL
Was it just me or did Willie actually look like he knew how to play in the outfield today? Is he starting to figure it out, or am I just reaching to find something positive from a game we lost where we only gave up three hits?

Yes, he looked better. I also like the way he approaches his hitting since being back with the team. It's a stretch and it will take a lot more consistency and patience for it to become a reality, but his approach reminds me of Lofton.

TheRockinMT
06-19-2003, 06:20 PM
I was impressed with Willie today. He has had a rough time of it this year, but he played the field and also stole 2 bases. Maybe we have some life in CF?

duke of dorwood
06-19-2003, 08:22 PM
But he cant throw AT ALL-he better catch them.

kevingrt
06-19-2003, 10:25 PM
He is quick... big advantage as CF

SoxxoS
06-19-2003, 10:41 PM
Willie Harris shouldn't be starting at any position. He should be the 25th man on most good teams, if that. He is a guy that can fill at 2B or CF, and could possibly steal a base. A good guy to have in a pinch. NOT as your starting CF.

MHOUSE
06-19-2003, 11:36 PM
He's fast and that can cover mistakes, but his inability to play the field shows through it often. He is great to have on the basepaths, but he can't steal first base can he? That jumping catch was a stab in the dark though. He still sucks.

voodoochile
06-20-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
He's fast and that can cover mistakes, but his inability to play the field shows through it often. He is great to have on the basepaths, but he can't steal first base can he? That jumping catch was a stab in the dark though. He still sucks.

I am not willing to go that far yet. I think we rush to judgement on players because this team has been so pathetic so far. His approach at the plate is much better than before and he is a far better CF than Rowand. I still hope Borchard will take the spot from him soon, but Joe probably needs to be working on his swing a bit before being recalled.

Randar68
06-20-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
His approach at the plate is much better than before and he is a far better CF than Rowand.

It only took how many posts in this thread for someone to point out the obvious!?!?

Neither one is great, but only one has the speed to make up for his mistakes.

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2003, 06:58 AM
KW should call the Cardinals after the All Star game to see if they would be interested in Jimenez. Then let Harris play second and Borchard play center.

Hangar18
06-20-2003, 08:28 AM
His speed is an asset out there. and hes starting to Look Good.
However, he doesnt have an Arm out there. HEs One Dog
out there all over. Everyone tags up 2nd to 3rd

Randar68
06-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
His speed is an asset out there. and hes starting to Look Good.
However, he doesnt have an Arm out there. HEs One Dog
out there all over. Everyone tags up 2nd to 3rd

Still has a better arm than Lofton, and I didn't hear a peep about his arm last spring.

Soxboyrob
06-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Still has a better arm than Lofton, and I didn't hear a peep about his arm last spring.

It's not only better than Lofton's but better than Lance Johnson's. By overall standards, it's an insufficient arm. What I've really noticed is that if he has any kind of forward momentum, he's actually quite a strong thrower. However, if he catches the ball flat-footed or deep in a gap, he has nothing but a little popgun arm. In situations where he's caught the ball with forward momentum, he's stunned me a few times recently with how hard he uncorked the throw.

Randar68
06-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
In situations where he's caught the ball with forward momentum, he's stunned me a few times recently with how hard he uncorked the throw.

Someone else notices! Hallelujah!

Rowand has a strong arm but never gets in good position with his feet or with his momentum, to make an accurate throw.

In Willie's first time around this year, he gunned someone down by 10 feet at the plate from mid-center. Did everyone forget about that? How many times has Rowand done that? His throws are halfway up the line or he is falling over because he misjudged the ball.