PDA

View Full Version : If Any Of You Try To Give Me Hope Again...

34 Inch Stick
06-19-2003, 05:38 PM
I am going to dump all over your posts. It really hurts the most when I get a feeling of some momentum and they go and lose a very winnable game. This should have been a sweep. Instead it is a split.

Just stop saying "we are only _ games back". This season is over and you can see why in today's game. They cannot win a true close game.

FJA
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
The worst part is, this game shouldn't have even been close.

gosox41
06-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I am going to dump all over your posts. It really hurts the most when I get a feeling of some momentum and they go and lose a very winnable game. This should have been a sweep. Instead it is a split.

Just stop saying "we are only _ games back". This season is over and you can see why in today's game. They cannot win a true close game.

Good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose.

We should all know by now which side of the fence the Sox fall on.

Bob

Gumshoe
06-19-2003, 05:45 PM
What's crazy is that if they changed our manager who can't win close games, we WOULD have a chance, THIS YEAR

KW should commit mental suicide

jeremyb1
06-19-2003, 05:55 PM
i wouldn't say we didn't win the game because we're not a good team, i would argue the game was close enough that they could win because we're not a good team. the offense seemingly rebounded for a few games - showing us how quickly things could turn around if this team ever hits for a sustained period of time - but then we regressed. after scoring 4, 10, 4, 4, 5, and 6 runs in the last two games of the l.a. series and the giants series, and the first two games against the padres, we've scored 0, 4, 4, 1, and 3 runs as guys have seeming started swinging for the fences and frank has cooled off. we're talking about a club here than ussually averages over 5 runs per game here. our pitching has been pretty good but we lack the bullpen depth and dominant starting pitching found in a team like l.a. until we score in bunches on occasion we won't win.

valposoxfan
06-19-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey I kept warning everyone not to feel hope. You have to adapt...

Jerry_Manuel
06-19-2003, 07:25 PM
I have to agree, I got excitied about their chances as well. One loss that sends you back to 6.5 out kills that.

duke of dorwood
06-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Hope? A crucial 10 game homestand ends up 5-5.

Jjav829
06-19-2003, 10:26 PM
My advice. Give up on the season already and let the Sox surprise you. I've already done this. Now when they blow a game like this, I sort of just laugh rather than get all upset. I've already convinced myself that this season is over. The sad thing is even if the Sox go on a big run and make the playoffs, I know they're gonna blow it because they play so awful in big games.

fquaye149
06-19-2003, 11:17 PM
jesus h. wait till the next two series are over. i dont' care how ****ty we played, we still took 50% from a team better tahn any in our division. fi we win both of the following serieses things will be looking up, believe me.

Kilroy
06-19-2003, 11:24 PM
The easiest thing in the world to do is quit (with vices like smoking being an exception).

Only true ******* give up.

How come fans get to quit, but if the Sox are perceived to have quit, there's hell to pay?

Grow some backbone. Not only are you perceived as ******* for quitting now, but you'll be windsocks when you jump back on when they get back in it. And that would make you the worst thing of all --> FAIRWEATHER.

SoxxoS
06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The easiest thing in the world to do is quit (with vices like smoking being an exception).

How come fans get to quit, but if the Sox are perceived to have quit, there's hell to pay?

Grow some backbone. Not only are you perceived as ******* for quitting now, but you'll be windsocks when you jump back on when they get back in it. And that would make you the worst thing of all --> FAIRWEATHER.

Very good point. Too much pessimism in here, and I am guilty of that too. Ask a unbiased fan if the Sox are still in it. Then you will get the correct answer. With most hardcore fans, it's one extreme to the other.

We have too many games left to be counted as out. Who knows what can happen from now until September. I won't even say anything about the schedule, but have you guys seen July? That month is make or break time.

doublem23
06-19-2003, 11:41 PM
I agree... Am I pleased with the Sox this year? Naw... Will I quit on them? Naw.

GO SOX!

1951Campbell
06-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Hey, I think the Sox can win the division. Problem is, being the best team in the Central is like being the best bobsledder in Jamaica.

:gulp:

sox_fan_forever
06-20-2003, 12:15 AM
I'm with many of you. I won't quit on them. Do I have a lot of hope? Not really, but I will watch as many games as I can, go to as many as I can, etc. I'll still cheer them on. I won't have false hope either though. I've watched this team enough to know they have a tendency to get you all excited one day, and then dash your hopes the next. But will I quit on them? No. I am a fan of them, and it's my job to cheer for them, get excited when they win, and feel depressed when they lose. Oh, and Soxxos, I really agree with you about for diehards it's either one extreme or another. That is so true.

pearso66
06-20-2003, 12:30 AM
I will never give up on this team. After watching the Bears in the '90's you learn to take the losing. And I know that sounds like normal Cub fans, but I still hate losing. But I won't let it piss me off too much, or make me give up on watching the Sox. To me it is still fun to watch the game, especially when they win. Would I love to win the World Series? Damn straight I would. Do I let it ruin my life when they don't? No way.

TornLabrum
06-20-2003, 12:38 AM
From my standpoint, it's not a matter of quitting on the team. It's just recognition that these guys haven't performed up to expectations and have shown no sign whatsoever up to this point that they will ever play up to expectations.

That is coupled with the knowledge that after the All-Star Game all pretense will be off as far as The Chairman is concerned, and that the fire sale will probably commence soon thereafter. (Remember, one of the partners has already said that if things don't improve the Sox will cut salary. Well, guess what? Things aren't improving.)

I never give up hope. I'll be there cheering and bitching and moaning on Fan Appreciation Day just as much as I was the third day of the season when I attended my first game of the year. If it isn't hope for this year, it's hope for next year, or at least hope that the team will be sold to someone who at least seems to care about winning.

TRL
06-20-2003, 01:04 AM
Over my almost 16 years of being a Sox fan I have learned that you can't get too high or too low after any given game. There are 162 of them and you'll get burned out if you put too much on a single game. You have to look at the series. Sure we should have swept the Padres, but we took the series and we split with a good team in Boston. You just have to go out and keep cheering for them. I've never booed a Sox player at a game, but I've done my share of cussing and fist pounding. The fact is that the best part of my day consists of sitting in front of the TV and watching the Sox as Hawk and DJ give me the commentary. I watch because I'm a fan and any true fan has to have some kind of hope to cling to. It's just like Labrum said, even if it isn't hope for this year, there is hope for something.

"Hope, it's a good thing maybe the best of things....and no good thing ever dies." Shawshank Redemption

Jjav829
06-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Just to clarify since it seems like some didn't really understand what I meant by my post. Maybe that's my fault since I was half asleep when posting. I haven't quit on the Sox yet. I'll still watch and go to games. I still got nervous at work yesterday when I found out that the Sox were down by 1 in the 10th with Ordonez on 1st and Konerko at bat. I still couldn't wait until I heard what happened as I kept saying to myself "Please no double play Pauly" over and over. And I was still disappointed when I heard they lost. The difference is that instead of getting completely pissed off and ruining my day because the Sox blew a big chance, I just basically chalk it up as another lose and say hey, the seasons over anyway. I won't quit on the team and I still believe that if they can start hitting they have a chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it. I figure If I consider their chances of making the playoffs gone, then I won't be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs. However, if they do make the playoffs it will be even better. But based on the past couple of years, they've given me nothing to believe that they will make the playoffs. Hopefully that clarifies that I meant.

gosox41
06-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy

Looks to me like the Sox quit caring along time ago. They can't execute fundamentals, make too many mental errors, can't run the bases well at all. These are all signs of either dumb players or players who just don't care.

Bob