PDA

View Full Version : Chalk up another one!

spanishwhite
06-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Another loss that we should have won, but

players such as Jimenez, Thomas, Lee, Crede, and
of course Koch decided that all this winning is
spoiling us, so they needed to(in order)

bunt pop out, 3 k's
2 k's with risp
3 GIDP(that's impressive)
6 left on base
walking a slug named Damian Jackson and letting in the
winning run.

The offense let this pathetic bullpen beat you. At least
Koch had to face a dynamite offense.

Koch should not pitch in extra innings.

It has happened twice and he has lost both games.

34 Inch Stick
06-19-2003, 05:45 PM
He should not be pitching in non save situations, period.

This one was a bad baseball smorgasbord. There was a little of everything. I think we were just missing some bad baserunning.

Tragg
06-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think we were just missing some bad baserunning.
Sorry to disappoint you, but that wasn't missing either - Jiminez, after driving in our second run, decided to end the inning by trying for second on a play in which there was no way Boston would throw to the plate.

Tragg
06-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by spanishwhite
Another loss that we should have won, but

players such as Jimenez, Thomas, Lee, Crede, and
of course Koch decided that all this winning is
spoiling us, so they needed to(in order)

bunt pop out, 3 k's
2 k's with risp
3 GIDP(that's impressive)
6 left on base
walking a slug named Damian Jackson and letting in the
winning run.

The offense let this pathetic bullpen beat you. At least
Koch had to face a dynamite offense.

Koch should not pitch in extra innings.

It has happened twice and he has lost both games.

In football, they would call this team "poorly coached"

gosox41
06-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
In football, they would call this team "poorly coached"

:reinsy
In the world of White Sox baseball I call it: "Let's stick it to the fans since it's their fault anyways."

xil357
06-19-2003, 06:15 PM
Even as an eternal optimist I am forced to wonder if maybe it is not a matter of the Sox not playing up to potential, but maybe they just are a bad mix of players who are maxing out their potential right now.

With all these right-handed no-defense playing two toed sloths, they are at a serious disadvantage both offensively and defensively.

I still don't think that rebuilding is the answer, but they do need a big-time reloading. Dealing only with hitters who have spent time this year on the 25-man roster (since the pitching generally has been the only thing keeping the Sox from out of last place), here is my select analysis:

Thomas: Needs to be at 1B full time and should be allowed to finish his career with the Sox and with a great team aroung him who can protect him in the lineup and get on base for him.

Maggs: Anyone who would trade him for anything less than Kerry Wood and Mark Prior is insane. He may not be having his best season, but he has been a model of consistency for four years and I don't think he has peaked.

Lee: might be OK as a DH or a LF for a team with a small outfield, but for years has been hyped as a young version of Frank. He has reached his potential and he is what he is. He ain't getting any better, folks.

Konerko: The enigma wrapped in a riddle. Needs to get his head right with ball. The Sox may not be the place to do it, but the way I see it he may already be on the decline as he has been in a slump since the 2002 All Star Game. He never will be a great fielder, his speed is horrible, and if he can't get back to hitting .300 with at least 25 homers then he isn't worth much to the Sox with Frank so much better at 1B than at DH.

Daubach: I nice piece who is just starting to heat up. His only spot on this team is at DH, though.

Crede: Still to young to give up on. Robin Ventura went like 0 for 40-something during his first full major league season.

Borchard: WAY too soon to give up on him. He belongs in LF or RF if you move Maggs to LF. He may just need to spend time at the MLB level to develop his full potential (Its not like he's never dealt with pressure on the field before, he was the QB for Stanford, after all, and was projected as a 1st Round NFL draft choice).

Jiminez: Decent at getting on base so far but makes too many mistakes both on the bases and in the field. He needs to put up Durham-esque numbers or better or the Sox should cut their losses with him.

Valentin: Over the hill. Had one good season (2000). Glove doesn't make up for his bat and his bat doesn't overshadow his glove. Time to ship him off, pronto.

Harris: Still a little raw and a bit early to give up on him. Needs to play his natural position, not in CF.

Olivo: I think the Sox may have found a very young version of the next Pudge (Fisk or Rodriguez). Maybe I'm wrong but for now he's a keeper. Even if he is only the next Ron Karkovice, I'm OK with that, too.

Rowand: OK as a fifth outfielder or someone you can call up from the minors as a stopgap when the injury bug bites.

Graffanino: Nice off the bench, no more. Basically the most recent Chris Snopek or Craig Grebeck, maybe a shade better with the stick.

Paul: Seriously should only be catching once per week, if that, and maybe pinch running. Olivo needs all the experience he can get and JP is one of a ton of light-hitting, mediocre fielding catchers that are available every year. (See Marc Hill and Spanky LaValliere)

Rios: No better than a fourth or fifth outfielder on an AL team.

Alomar: Could make a good coach someday. Not bad as the #3 catcher.

I'm no scout or GM but this team doesn't exactly look like it is that formidable offensively or defensively. To me the pieces you want to keep are Thomas, Maggs, Borchard, Crede and Olivo. The rest are just "guys," some of whom should be kept but not as a whole group.

A major reload is needed. Any one of these, or a combination of these, moves would be that needed relaod (and we'll pretend that Reinsdorf is willing to make the necessary investments to make these things happen):

1. Trading Valentin and Lee for a young CF or SS, or even to a team looking to dump a high-price but quality SS or CF.
2. Signing Miguel Tejada this offseason.
3. Trading for Carlos Beltran as KC will not be able to re-sign him.
4. Trading Konerko and Valentin to the Reds for Griffey. Bad contract and free-agent to be for a bad contract who needs a change of scenery and would be the left-handed CF the Sox so desperately need. I would even consider trading Colon to the Reds to amek the deal happen if there was some kind of handshake agreement with Colon that the Sox would re-sign him when he becomes a free agent this offseason. Even if Griffey only hits .265 that's still better than what we have out there in CF now, especially defensively.