PDA

View Full Version : Lack of timely hitting

Blueprint1
06-19-2003, 04:24 PM
This is what really blew this game. I know Koch blew it by giving up that run in the 10th but its hard to say that the door was not open in the 9th with a runner on 2nd and no outs.

jeremyb1
06-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
This is what really blew this game. I know Koch blew it by giving up that run in the 10th but its hard to say that the door was not open in the 9th with a runner on 2nd and no outs.

yeah. i'm really dissapointed with our hitters' approach at the plate. i felt as though things we're improving during the dodgers series but now everyone is back to trying to hit home runs and carlos and frank are always really far out in front of the ball and never hit the ball to the left side (that explains all carlos' double plays). its so frustrating because its completely mental.

the league average on base percentage is around .330 and we only have three regulars (frank, jimenez, and maggs) above that mark which is absolutely horrendous. carlos lee's .317 obp is an absolute disgrace after he posted a .407 on base percentage last in the second half last season. what happened here?!?! why is manuel allowing him to play if he refuses to take a walk and insists on hitting into double plays early in the count instead? i refuse to believe its a matter of ability its a simple matter of discipline. someone needs to reiterate the importance of showing patience at the plate to carlos if he wants to have success in the majors.

gosox41
06-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1

Like I stated earlier, until this team hits I won't get my hopes up The pitching has been great but it's not going to be enough to win. The hitting needs to come around.

How about CLee's DP with bases loaded and no one out in the 6th (or 7th).

Then the next innings, it's first and second with no one out.

They scored 1 run gcombined in those two innings, and that was due to a Nomar error not timely hitting.

Bob

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Like I stated earlier, until this team hits I won't get my hopes up The pitching has been great but it's not going to be enough to win. The hitting needs to come around.

How about CLee's DP with bases loaded and no one out in the 6th (or 7th).

Then the next innings, it's first and second with no one out.

They scored 1 run gcombined in those two innings, and that was due to a Nomar error not timely hitting.

Bob

Right on the nose again, Bob. They had base runners all over the place from the 6th inning on and only managed a single friggin' run. Somebody needs to start holding these players responsible for their approach at the plate -- be it Manuel, Walker, or even Williams, they need to hear about it.