PDA

View Full Version : Why don't the Sox play well under pressure?

NewyorkSoxFan
06-19-2003, 01:25 PM
I am curious what everyone thinks, b/c everytime this team has a "statement game", they spit the bit. We saw it with Bartolo on Tuesday, and numerous other times that I don't have the time or inclination to recount. My question is why?, is it because the players get "sphincteritis", is it bad managing, or just Sox luck.

This game today scares me b/c everytime they have a chance to put something solid together, they choke. I mean even going back to 2000 clinching on a loss, blowing game one in the divisional series, just seems to be a pattern here. I hope I'm wrong, but unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if I weren't.

NYSF :?:

voodoochile
06-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
I am curious what everyone thinks, b/c everytime this team has a "statement game", they spit the bit. We saw it with Bartolo on Tuesday, and numerous other times that I don't have the time or inclination to recount. My question is why?, is it because the players get "sphincteritis", is it bad managing, or just Sox luck.

This game today scares me b/c everytime they have a chance to put something solid together, they choke. I mean even going back to 2000 clinching on a loss, blowing game one in the divisional series, just seems to be a pattern here. I hope I'm wrong, but unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if I weren't.

NYSF :?:

:jerry
"I prefer the players never show any emotion or get too worked up. It disrupts my sleep. Nice and sleepy, that's the way I like the clubhouse. All of this constant hype and stress gives me indigestion to boot. I like to think of it as voyeur management. Just watch the game (when I'm awake that is) and don't do or say too much. What's there to get all worked up for anyway? It's just a baseball game..."

valposoxfan
06-19-2003, 01:34 PM
This team is not disciplined enough nor is it coached or managed well enough to perform in the clutch. They haven't been groomed to come through when they need to and are fine getting just enough done to get by. That has been the reason for the mediocrity since the second half of 2000 as well.

Paulwny
06-19-2003, 03:18 PM
It's a head game.
All of a sudden Weaver is in NY and he's expected to win but he can't handle the pressure. It was easy in Det. no pressure.
As King George once said, Reggie Jackson was Mr. October and Dave Winfield was Mr. April.
Rodgers was another guy who couldn't handle the pressure of playing for the yanks and was was booed out of the city.
I guess it's a lot easier to play the game when you're not expected to succeed.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Pauly brings up some accurate points. Also take a CLOSE look at the Sox teams since the White Flag Deal.

How many youngsters? How many burned out, mediocre, injury prone vets who signed with the Sox just to have a job? How many quality players? How many All Stars who can carry a team?

Given the payroll considerations what did you expect?

Perhaps that helps to explain why under Manager Gandhi the Sox always seem to play better when they are out of the race.

Lip

TRL
06-19-2003, 06:57 PM
They just don't do the little things to win ballgames. I hope we quit bunting all together. No body can do it any way. Even if we get one down and have a runner on second with one out we always piss it away. NO ONE can get a key hit. I can see it now...popup to the first or third basemen and then a strike out. Same old sh*t, different day.

harwar
06-19-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TRL
They just don't do the little things to win ballgames. I hope we quit bunting all together. No body can do it any way. Even if we get one down and have a runner on second with one out we always piss it away. NO ONE can get a key hit. I can see it now...popup to the first or third basemen and then a strike out. Same old sh*t, different day.

and NEVER let Koch Throw another pitch with the game on the line.