PDA

View Full Version : Daucbach claims Sox Fans are Nothing

ssang
06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
This is what Daubach is quoted as saying yesterday. These quotes were in today's Tribune.

"These fans are tame," he said. "I have news for you. These fans are nothing here. They're saints. It's like church."

I think that makes us sound pretty pathetic as fans. It sounds to me that Daubach thinks we're nto vocal and kinda weak as fans. What I don't get is that I figured that he and the rest of the team could hear the boos from the crowd on a daily basis. I mean he has ucked (until 1-2 weeks ago) and so has the rest of the underachieving team. I know I've booed them loud and clear. I guess he's been too busy striking out to hear the Sox fans boo his ass!

Eddie Gaedel
06-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by ssang
This is what Daubach is quoted as saying yesterday. These quotes were in today's Tribune.

"These fans are tame," he said. "I have news for you. These fans are nothing here. They're saints. It's like church."

I think that makes us sound pretty pathetic as fans. It sounds to me that Daubach thinks we're nto vocal and kinda weak as fans. What I don't get is that I figured that he and the rest of the team could hear the boos from the crowd on a daily basis. I mean he has ucked (until 1-2 weeks ago) and so has the rest of the underachieving team. I know I've booed them loud and clear. I guess he's been too busy striking out to hear the Sox fans boo his ass!

I agree with Daubach. The noise level in Comiskey is weak when it's not even half filled. The loudest is gets is when the "MAKE SOME NOISE" crap is on the Jumbotron.

MetalliSox
06-19-2003, 09:04 AM

Technically he maybe right. Remember this guy is coming from Boston who has loads of die hards, has been in the middle of one of the most hated rivalries in baseball, and has been on contending teams.
We don't sell out, not much we here can do. The majority of us go to plenty of games but casual fans don't.
He may change his mind after this weekend and next.

Viva Magglio
06-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Regarlesss of the lack of noise from the stands these days, that is something very bad to say PR-wise. It's almost as bad as the Cardinal wannabe's comments.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Eddie Gaedel
I agree with Daubach. The noise level in Comiskey is weak when it's not even half filled. The loudest is gets is when the "MAKE SOME NOISE" crap is on the Jumbotron.

32-38 .457

What's there been to cheer about, really?

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 09:34 AM

Um, so you think, Ssang, that it is "pathetic" if Sox fans don't boo their own players enough? You seem to be proud of the fact that you've been booing the team. Were you one of those morons who booed Frank last year, or who booed Buehrle this year? The ONLY time I think it makes any sense to boo your own team is when you see a lack of effort or something truly boneheaded (e.g., not running out a grounder, swining at the first pitch after the pitcher has thrown 75,000 straight balls, etc.). Booing Daubach (or anyone else) because they strike out or give up a hit is stupid. Do you think that will make them do better next time?

Booing your own team doesn't make you a "good" fan. Cheering for the Sox and booing or otherwise verbally tormenting the other team - that, IMHO, is what fans should do.

Also, wait til Daubach gets his first taste of a Sox/Cubs game at the Cell. His opinion may change. I think Sosa might get a rather memorable reception. And not a "tame" one at that.

Blueprint1
06-19-2003, 09:47 AM
The MOST boring fans in baseball in my opinion were the Cardinal fans. I like the cardinals and they seem to have a large group of fans but one time i stood up during the game and some guy behind me complained that he paid for the seat and didnt want this standing thing. Also nonoe even cheered at the end of the game when they made the final out. For the best fans in baseball I thought it was pretty weak. Please noone think that im bashing the Cardinals i just think this could be a East coast/midwest thing in general we are less in your face.

valposoxfan
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
So are you saying we shouldnt boo Konerko hold2dibber. I think giving up eight runs in three innings is reason enough to boo... I don't think I was a moron for booing Buehrle.

ssang
06-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Um, so you think, Ssang, that it is "pathetic" if Sox fans don't boo their own players enough? You seem to be proud of the fact that you've been booing the team. Were you one of those morons who booed Frank last year, or who booed Buehrle this year? The ONLY time I think it makes any sense to boo your own team is when you see a lack of effort or something truly boneheaded (e.g., not running out a grounder, swining at the first pitch after the pitcher has thrown 75,000 straight balls, etc.). Booing Daubach (or anyone else) because they strike out or give up a hit is stupid. Do you think that will make them do better next time?

Booing your own team doesn't make you a "good" fan. Cheering for the Sox and booing or otherwise verbally tormenting the other team - that, IMHO, is what fans should do.

Also, wait til Daubach gets his first taste of a Sox/Cubs game at the Cell. His opinion may change. I think Sosa might get a rather memorable reception. And not a "tame" one at that.

The simple answer is YES. IF I DIDN'T BOO THEM FOR PLAYING POORLY THAN THAT WOULD MAKE ME A CUBS FAN. These players deserve the Boos because they have generally been awful in every category this season (except for some starting pitching). I'm gonna let them hear it. Especailly the god-awful, paul Konerko!

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
So are you saying we shouldnt boo Konerko hold2dibber. I think giving up eight runs in three innings is reason enough to boo... I don't think I was a moron for booing Buehrle.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Do you think Konerko isn't trying? Do you think he doesn't care? Have you considered the possibility that he's hurt? Do you think booing might make him perform better? Same with Buehrle - the friggin' guy has been absolutely lights out for 2 years, the best young pitcher the Sox have had in ages, he has a bad game and you boo him? Why? What the hell does that accomplish? Do you think he wasn't trying? I think it was moronic for Sox fans to boo him in that circumstance. I get pissed as hell and frustrated when players don't get the job done. But what does booing them accomplish? In the case of a guy who is already trying his hardest, booing absolutely will not help the player or the team, and has the distinct possibility of harming the player (and thus the team).

Please give me a rational reason why booing a player (other than a player who is dogging it or who has made a truly stupid decision) is a good idea.

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 10:20 AM
The simple answer is YES. IF I DIDN'T BOO THEM FOR PLAYING POORLY THAN THAT WOULD MAKE ME A CUBS FAN.

No - cheering them for piss poor performance would make you a Cubs fan. Booing them - even those who are giving all out effort - doesn't make you a Cubs fan; it makes you a bad Sox fan. IMHO, of course.

DC Sox Fan
06-19-2003, 10:26 AM
OK so who's ordering the cassicks and habits? There's gotta be a crowd of rowdy, die-hard sox fans dressed as religious folk for the next home game to show Daubach what we're all about!!!! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

voodoochile
06-19-2003, 11:00 AM

I read two things from this statement...

1)Jerry's decision to market the team to families has chased off a bunch of the rowdies and hence a bunch of the fans who are passionate about baseball to the point of screaming and venting.

2)Daubach is talking about the way fans treat the players. Boston and NY fans can be merciless on opposing players and bums from their own teams. Chicago fans are more midwestern. We appreciate hard work and tend to applaud good plays more than booing bad plays. Heck NY fans booed Clemens earlier this year...

maurice
06-19-2003, 11:24 AM
Giving Daubach the benefit of the doubt, I agree with Voodoo and take the comments as a compliment. It's possible to be a good fan without being vulgar or overly negative towards your own players (though there's nothjing wrong with an occasional "boo" directed at a particularly sucky Sox play). IMHO, our best chants are the clever variety, designed to keep the opposing player's mind on something other than the game -- for example, chanting "COR-KY" instead of "F--- YOU" when Sosa comes to bat or runs out to RF. The vulgar stuff is easier to tune out.

Foulke You
06-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Judging from the comments I've read from Mr. Daubach about the crowd and our clubhouse being "different", it sounds like he is homesick for Boston, doesn't want to be here, and isn't happy with his situation here.

If you were from Chicago and were happy there but your job required you to move to a new city. Chances are, you are going to be homesick and start saying things like "hey, the pizza here has nothing on Chicago" or "the people here aren't as friendly as they are in Chi-town". I attribute a lot of Daubach's comments to this.

As far as Sox fans go, we've been called many things by the media and enemy fans but "tame"? I think not Mr. Daubach. When we have 25,000 at our park it sounds like 35,000 from other parks. Last night's crowd was small (17,000+) and a little on the quiet side but throughout a season you'll get crowds like that. It was also Little League kids night so there were a lot of little kids whose bedtimes had long passed because of the 35 minute rain delay.

Was Daubach listening during the Sox/Giants series or was he merely chewing sunflower seeds in the insulated dugout? Those crowds were very loud. How about the first game of the Boston series when Crede launched that 3 run homer? If those crowds were "tame" in his eyes then he has no idea what is waiting for him on June 27th at the Cell. That place is going to be rocking. I would also like to point out that Fenway is an old park with metal overhangs that echo sound. Our park is open air and we are still just as loud as Boston fans. I know, I was there last year for 3 sellout games at Fenway. While their fans did make a lot of noise, there was nothing special or "untamed" about their fans. We have White Sox diehards that make just as much noise. You want tame fans? Go to Milwaukee for a Brewers game, not the South Side of Chicago!

Can you tell I despise it when players rip on the fans? Direct your emotions elsewhere fellas. It ain't the fans fault you are in 3rd place, you aren't starting as many games as you'd like (see Daubach), or getting lit up by opposing teams (see Garland, Buehrle).

NewyorkSoxFan
06-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Since I reside here in NY, I thought I would weigh in on the debate. I hate to say it Daubach is so right. When I first moved here and went to a Yankee's/Indians game in May, the fans were so into it. They are loud all the time, and they will hammer there own guy if he screws up too much. We won't even get into what happens at Yanks/Red Sox games. Just come with a weapon if you sit in the bleachers.

Someone said it, I can't remember who, I truly believe its a midwestern thing. We just aren't as loud and rowdy (even though we get drunk and tackle people) as east coast fans are. If you go down to Philly its the same thing, probably even worst.

That being said, it hurts having less than 25,000 people in the park, hard to get the crowd going. I don't think he meant it in a negative way just pointing out the obvious.

NYSF

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
Since I reside here in NY, I thought I would weigh in on the debate. I hate to say it Daubach is so right. When I first moved here and went to a Yankee's/Indians game in May, the fans were so into it. They are loud all the time, and they will hammer there own guy if he screws up too much. We won't even get into what happens at Yanks/Red Sox games. Just come with a weapon if you sit in the bleachers.

Someone said it, I can't remember who, I truly believe its a midwestern thing. We just aren't as loud and rowdy (even though we get drunk and tackle people) as east coast fans are. If you go down to Philly its the same thing, probably even worst.

That being said, it hurts having less than 25,000 people in the park, hard to get the crowd going. I don't think he meant it in a negative way just pointing out the obvious.

NYSF

As you said, you are in New York. I was at Monday night's game. That crowd was into it.

NewyorkSoxFan
06-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
As you said, you are in New York. I was at Monday night's game. That crowd was into it.

No need to get defensive, :D: I never said that the crowds aren't into it, but its difficult to tell when you only have 15,000 people in the park. Daubach is used to playing in front of 30,000 people every night.

NYSF

Brian26
06-19-2003, 12:28 PM
You can't disagree with anything Daubach said.

Nonetheless, I didn't take his comments as negative or derogatory when I read them this morning. Anyone who knows the slightest bit about Boston and the way the franchise and its fans are portrayed knows what he's talking about.

I don't think he was saying White Sox fans are bad. They just root in a different (maybe more polite) way.

Brian26
06-19-2003, 12:32 PM
Let me add one more thing...

If I was a major league ballplayer and had the choice of playing in front of tame Chicago fans or insane crowds at Fenway or NY, I'd pick Chicago in a heartbeat.

I think the reason the White Sox have traditionally had a better home record is because they feel less pressure at home. I don't know if this is true in the previously mentioned cities. Yankee players often talk about how much of a relief it is to get out there to go on road trips.

pudge
06-19-2003, 12:55 PM
This sounds like a slap to Buehrle or anyone else who thinks we as fans are too rough. I think what Daubach is saying is, "Go stink it up in New York and see how loud they boo." I don't think Daubach meant this as a slap to Sox fans.

39thandWallace
06-19-2003, 04:00 PM
I think as a paying costumer you can say what ever the hell you want. As long as your not screaming profanities in front of kids.

Boo if they deserve it, cheer if they deserve it.

gosox41
06-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
That's exactly what I'm saying. Do you think Konerko isn't trying? Do you think he doesn't care? Have you considered the possibility that he's hurt? Do you think booing might make him perform better? Same with Buehrle - the friggin' guy has been absolutely lights out for 2 years, the best young pitcher the Sox have had in ages, he has a bad game and you boo him? Why? What the hell does that accomplish? Do you think he wasn't trying? I think it was moronic for Sox fans to boo him in that circumstance. I get pissed as hell and frustrated when players don't get the job done. But what does booing them accomplish? In the case of a guy who is already trying his hardest, booing absolutely will not help the player or the team, and has the distinct possibility of harming the player (and thus the team).

Please give me a rational reason why booing a player (other than a player who is dogging it or who has made a truly stupid decision) is a good idea.

It makes you feel good.

1951Campbell
06-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Ha, Daubach is funny about Red Sox fans. They will cheer themselves hoarse for some Yankees game in April when the Red Sox are on their way to another second-place finish. But in a really heated game, when they are ahead, they're quiet as church mice because they're waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know--the Curse and all that New England negativity.

Plus, as a veteran of many Red Sox games during my time in Boston, I can say that there's 34,000 seats at Fenway--16,000 corporate tickets, 16,000 tickets that Harvard has given away to tweedy professors and staff slumming at a "proletarian entertainment event", and 2,000 actual baseball fans.

doublem23
06-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell

Plus, as a veteran of many Red Sox games during my time in Boston, I can say that there's 34,000 seats at Fenway--16,000 corporate tickets, 16,000 tickets that Harvard has given away to tweedy professors and staff slumming at a "proletarian entertainment event", and 2,000 actual baseball fans.

When I was at Fenway last year, that's pretty much the feeling I got about the park (though I would think mix a 1,000 or so drunken college kids who just happened to walk into a baseball stadium to get some beer.)

Fenway Park is a horrible place to watch a baseball game, beside that. Red Sox fans = Cub fans.

sox_fan_forever
06-19-2003, 11:32 PM
I agree with those of you who said that you don't think he was ripping on Sox fans. I didn't take his comments personally. My first thought when I read his comments was "You ain't seen nothing yet!" heehee

hose
06-20-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I think as a paying costumer you can say what ever the hell you want. As long as your not screaming profanities in front of kids.

Boo if they deserve it, cheer if they deserve it.

I agree 100% .

hsnterprize
06-20-2003, 06:38 AM

It's already been said, but I'll repeat it...if Brian only knew about the passion and hatred we have for the ownership for this team, as well as the hatred we have for the Cubs, he'd understand. I can get the point that he's coming from Boston, where there is a passion for the Red Sox...especially against the Yankees, but he really doesn't get it here. Once the Sox play the Cubs at the Cell, he'll understand. Once he gets that first booing from over 40,000...maybe he'll eat these words, and concentrate on getting some of the power he had last season back.

alohafri
06-21-2003, 09:28 AM
I think Sosa might get a rather memorable reception. And not a "tame" one at that.

Anyone else think that Corky's big toe might be hurting again next weekend? If Daubach thinks we are tame, wait until Corky runs out to right field on Friday.

voodoochile
06-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
Anyone else think that Corky's big toe might be hurting again next weekend? If Daubach thinks we are tame, wait until Corky runs out to right field on Friday.

Heck, Steff alone will make him wish he'd stayed home.

Spiff
06-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
When I was at Fenway last year, that's pretty much the feeling I got about the park (though I would think mix a 1,000 or so drunken college kids who just happened to walk into a baseball stadium to get some beer.)

Fenway Park is a horrible place to watch a baseball game, beside that. Red Sox fans = Cub fans.

haha you are you retarded. and wrong.

Fenway is as loud as any stadium. It is a fine place to watch a game, the fans are consistently louder than they are at the cell.

Red Sox fans= cub fans? uh no. The Red Sox are actually in contention every year, and the fans cheer when they win and boo when they blow the game.

JUGGERNAUT
06-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Given our recent infamous noteriety in the media of being thugs & hooligans, hearing Dauby refer to us as Saints & a Church is very refreshing to hear :lol:

Dan H
06-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Many times complaints about low energy fans come from players on bad teams. They think it we are supposed to cheer them just because they run on the field. Enthusiasm cannot be manufactured; it has to be generated.

Secondly, Comiskey is a large ball park that doesn't hold in the sound. It will never be as loud as the old park or the few remaining old style stadiums.