PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sox Cubs Moment

Thunderstruck30
06-18-2003, 11:39 PM
What is your favorite Sox Cubs moment?

I have two. One is from last year. It was the game when the Sox had a 8-0 comeback win. I was at this game and the moment that really sticks out is when Konerko hit the two run homer to give the Sox a 10-8 lead. My other favorite is from 01 when Valentin mocked Sosa after hitting a home run. That was absolutely priceless.

:mkillcub

FJA
06-19-2003, 12:01 AM
#1: Comiskey 2001, 10th inning, Carlos Lee walk-off grand slam. I was in the left field seats right where it came down. Unbelievable.

Runner-up: Comiskey 2002, Osuna strikes out Shammy to end the game.

gosox3072
06-19-2003, 12:06 AM
1999 i believe it was, we sweep the lovable losers who are in first place at the time. The Flubs season goes down the drain after that series.

Runner up--el cabbillo GS in 10th

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 12:16 AM
1906, Game 6 of the World Series. Sox win! Sox win! Sox win!

Mo308oM
06-19-2003, 01:09 AM
jose's mocking of sosa... CLASSIC!!!

MarqSox
06-19-2003, 08:09 AM
Lee's grand slam is not only my all-time favorite Sox-Cubs moment, it's my most memorable Sox moment, period. Sitting in the upper deck, the elation at that moment ... it was unlike anything I'd ever felt. That is, until Marquette advanced to the Final Four this year. :)

Konerkoholic
06-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Sox win 6-5 in 14 innings. Sosa Ks 5 times.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Sox win 6-5 in 14 innings. Sosa Ks 5 times.

Oh that was a good one. It almost ruined my relationship with my then-girlfriend (now my wife), though!

daveb816
06-19-2003, 09:06 AM
July 7, 2000 at Wrigley: Sox win in 11 innings with Carlos Pena getting the save and Herbert Perry keeping the Sox alive with a great stop in the bottom of the 9th, I think. This was probably the high point of the great 2000 season - I think Sox were 30 over with this win. They would lose the next 4 in a row and be on-and-off the rest of the season.

June 13, 1999 at Wrigley: Sox complete their only sweep of the Cubs.

June 28, 2002 at Comiskey: The comeback from 8-0 deficit. It's been all downhill for Paulie since then.

June 9, 2000 at Comiskey: Durham's 15th-inn. hit down the line gets Foulke off the hook for giving up 2-out-in-9th-game-tying HR to Sammy.

June 18, 1997 at Comiskey: Alvarez gives Sox the series win in 1st series in a game that took just 2 hours.

Viva Magglio
06-19-2003, 09:10 AM
Game 3 of the 1999 affair at Wrigley: Slappy puts on in the basket which paves the way for the Glorious Sweep.

Chisox353014
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
How about Grace getting picked off by Sean Lowe? The section I was in was full of LOUD Sox fans and actually forced some dip**** in a Grace jersey who had been taunting and showing off all game long to get up and leave. Slappy's basket-shot for the sweep and the big comeback last year were great, too.

My personal favorite though was a game from '99 that I was at with my folks. It was the one at Comiskey where CLee hit a 9th-inning sac fly to win it. Seeing my normally reserved dad going nuts after a big Sox win over the sCrubs was priceless.

MetalliSox
06-19-2003, 10:44 AM
I taped that game last year with the 8-0 comeback, and my mom taped over it with her soaps. I'll never forgive her for that...well, she is my ma.

Gumshoe
06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
You guys are rough on Pauly K, yeah he has been brutal, but he WILL hit again. And if JM doesn't put him in the lineup, he WON'T hit, I guarantee that. I remember how everyone in the stadium was thinking homerun when he came up in that at bat so we could get the lead ... and he roped one to left. Borowski was the victim. I wouldn't mind seeing that again.

Give him time. He'll be back.

Gumshoe

Iwritecode
06-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by daveb816
June 9, 2000 at Comiskey: Durham's 15th-inn. hit down the line gets Foulke off the hook for giving up 2-out-in-9th-game-tying HR to Sammy.

I may be mis-remembering this but was this also the game where Durham made an outstanding play on a ball hit up the middle to get the third out and keep the Cubs from scoring the go ahead run? I remember him making the play but I'm not sure it was this game. I didn't think he had a snowball's chance to get to that ball but somehow he did.

Brian26
06-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Foulke's save at Wrigley in 2001 when he looked down to the leftfield bullpen area after the final out and pointed to a bunch of fans that were heckling him (Or was that last year?)

Jose's salute to the fans after his homer at Wrigley in 2001.

Caruso's dinger in '99.

Caballo's Slam last year.

Durham's hit to score Herbert in 2000.

Foulke You
06-19-2003, 01:36 PM
I agree with all the above moments. Here is a few that might have been forgotten:

Mark Grace getting picked off and hung out to dry by a perfect fake to third throw to first from Sean Lowe in the 2000 Comiskey series in game 2. Gracie was out by a mile. Sox win.

White Sox shell Cubs pitching for 5 HRs in Game 3 in 2000 Comiskey series. They go on to narrowly lose the game and a chance for a sweep because Manuel uses Kevin Beirne and Jesus Pena in the later innings to save the bullpen for our glorious road trip through NY and Cleveland which ended up working out. But it was nice to see Cub fans faces when the scoreboard was going off every innning with all of those homers :D: . :D:

Paul Konerko's huge 3 run blast onto Waveland in 2001 after Jose's "lovetaps" homer at Wrigley.

Dave Martinez hits a HR in '97 to help ice Wilson Alvarez's 3-0 shutout of the Cubs and give us bragging rights for the first crosstown series.

I know this has been mentioned but Carlos Lee's grand slam in '01 was the LOUDEST I've ever heard Comiskey Park. Magglio came up with the bases loaded with 1 out and struck out. Carlos quickly got two strikes and it looked like the Cubs were going to get out of the inning. The Cub fans in the house were making noise and some in my section were giving us Sox fans in the RF grandstands a hard time telling us the inning was over because Cortney Duncan was their best reliever at the time. Then, BAM!! El Caballo launches a rocket Grand Slam. Bedlam at 35th and Shields. The crowd stood and cheered for about 5 minutes straight. Cub fans leave in disgust. Happy times. :cool:

1951Campbell
06-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Manos mocking Sammy*. Nothing else comes close, except the slam.

Thunderstruck30
06-19-2003, 11:39 PM
I have another one in mind, it wasnt that great, but its still memorable. It was in 2001, there was a play at the plate after a great relay after the ball went to the wall. Gary Matthews collided with Sandy Alomar and Sandy held onto the ball. That was great!

FJA
06-19-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
I have another one in mind, it wasnt that great, but its still memorable. It was in 2001, there was a play at the plate after a great relay after the ball went to the wall. Gary Matthews collided with Sandy Alomar and Sandy held onto the ball. That was great!

Good call ... I forgot about that one.

sox_fan_forever
06-19-2003, 11:55 PM
There are so many great moments it's hard to pick one, but I'll have to go with June 28, 2002 since that was the first Sox-Cubs game I ever went to. It was unbelievably hot that day, I was miserable because I couldn't believe this was happening to me the first time I ever went to one of those games. And then...all of a sudden...things started to get exciting. It all happened so quickly. Before I knew it Paul Konerko had hit a couple of home runs, other guys had gotten some hits, and the Sox were winning. I was so hyped up after that game was over. I think I "lived" off of it for weeks.

StillMissOzzie
06-20-2003, 01:11 AM
My favorite is still the grand slam by Carlos Lee. I was in a section w/ some obnoxious Scrubs fans (is that redundant?) and it shut them up for the night. And yes, the place ROCKED that night! I don't remember it being that loud since the 1993 Bo Jackson rainbow homerun to clinch the division.
:gulp:

Bisco Stu
06-20-2003, 03:22 AM
The only one I ever attended, 6/16/02, with Caballo's 7 ribbies and dusting Kerry (Dead) Wood

hsnterprize
06-20-2003, 06:53 AM
I was in the press box the second game of that Wrigley series after Jose mocked Sammy the day before. The Cubs people were so "tied in knots" about Valentin, and the fans booed him mercilously. However, I was smiling to see him do that. And...Carlos Lee did it on that Saturday in the dugout after he homered. If I remember correctly, he was sitting next to Valentin when he did it. Ironically, Sammy didn't mind the imitation at all. However, I read in the paper that morning a quote from Ron Santo, and to paraphrase what he said, Sammy had done so much for the Cubs, the community, and baseball, that his kiss-and-point routine was almost sacred, and shouldn't have been mocked. I scoffed at those comments.

I definitely remember raising my arms up in the air when Carlos hit that homer. It was a 2-run shot, and it went across Waveland Avenue. Carol Slezak was sitting next to me, and she appeared to have a blank look on her face when Lee homered. I'm not accusing her of being a Cub fan...maybe she was being objective about the whole series because she was doing a lot of writing during the game. However, it was fun to see the Cubs and their fans cringe when Carlos went yard.

alohafri
06-20-2003, 11:46 AM
(from Mrs. Aloha)

It was the Saturday game at Comiskey, the Sox were winning by a couple of runs and it was the ninth inning. There were I think 2 guys on base, there are 2 outs, and scammin' shamME is at bat. The scrub fans were cheering wildly. Everyone rose to their feet after scamME swung and missed once, then twice. Down to the last strike. I remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach, my heart was beating so fast and loud I could hear it over the crowd.
Then, the pitch by Osuna....

and the king of baseball STRIKES OUT!!! :)

daveb816
06-20-2003, 01:48 PM
'Originally posted by daveb816

I may be mis-remembering this but was this also the game where Durham made an outstanding play on a ball hit up the middle to get the third out and keep the Cubs from scoring the go ahead run? I remember him making the play but I'm not sure it was this game. I didn't think he had a snowball's chance to get to that ball but somehow he did.'

Nope, Cubs never threatened after Sosa HR. Simas was perfect for 3 innings and Jesus just allowed a 2-out, 14th-inn. walk to Grace.

Thunderstruck30
06-21-2003, 12:54 AM
How about Olivos grand slam? That was pretty great. I knew the game was over after that moment.

Mo308oM
06-21-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Mo308oM
jose's mocking of sosa... CLASSIC!!!

i change it... miguels first career grand slam in the 1st inning of yesterdays game... wooooop :D

Hangar18
06-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Man there are so many moments. The Sweep of the beloved
Cubbies in 99 was the #1 moment for me.
#2 Has to be Thomas' RBI game winning Double into the
LCenter Gap, scoring Sax from 1st.....Comiskey went up for grabs.
#3 Has to be the series where Sammy made the comments comparing himself to Jesus. Everyone in the stands started calling Sammy "JESUS" when he came to bat. It was hilarious, though It cost me a relationship with my then gf's parents (who were in the stands ouch) and eventually because of that, with
her! (ouch. sammy cost me a relationship)

Hangar18
06-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I was in the press box the second game of that Wrigley series after Jose mocked Sammy the day before. The Cubs people were so "tied in knots" about Valentin, and the fans booed him mercilously. However, I was smiling to see him do that. And...Carlos Lee did it on that Saturday in the dugout after he homered. If I remember correctly, he was sitting next to Valentin when he did it. Ironically, Sammy didn't mind the imitation at all. However, I read in the paper that morning a quote from Ron Santo, and to paraphrase what he said, Sammy had done so much for the Cubs, the community, and baseball, that his kiss-and-point routine was almost sacred, and shouldn't have been mocked. I scoffed at those comments.

I definitely remember raising my arms up in the air when Carlos hit that homer. It was a 2-run shot, and it went across Waveland Avenue. Carol Slezak was sitting next to me, and she appeared to have a blank look on her face when Lee homered. I'm not accusing her of being a Cub fan...maybe she was being objective about the whole series because she was doing a lot of writing during the game. However, it was fun to see the Cubs and their fans cringe when Carlos went yard.

I remembered how the media tried to make something of that,
and Sammy, to his Credit (which I rarely give him) said it was
OK he didnt mind at all, he knew he was excited thats all. I
personally have a feeling that the fact Valentin was a fellow
Latin-Player that made Sammy be OK with that. I have a feeling
that if Valentin had not been Latin, the Media might have
blown that up to something different and Sammy might have
taken the "media bait" and said something he wouldve been
sorry for. Sammy did the stand-up thing that day, and it is
one of the things I will pat him on the back for. ok. enough
patting sam on the back now. back to the thread

Risk
06-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Two most favorite

1) The Glorious Sweep of 99' :)

2) The comeback when they were down 8-1 in the 3rd at The Palace. I was at that game and unfortunately I was surrounded by a bunch of Scrub fans. First couple of innings were tough to get through, but after that, I was in pure heaven. There's nothing better than vindication, and seeing 30-40 distraught Scrubbie fans going home with their tails between their legs.
:)

Possible 3rd: Seeing Corky with that dumb, awe strucked look on his face after he "lost" Magg's fly ball. (E-9)
:D: :) :gulp:

Thunderstruck30
06-30-2003, 12:17 AM
Would anyone like to add a few more?

VeeckAsInWreck
06-30-2003, 12:39 AM
I know it is recent, but Saturday's "rain delayed come from behind victory", has to be up there.
I was at the 2001 game when El Caballo hit his Grand Slam off Courtney Duncan. The place was just as loud on Saturday as it was on that fateful night in June 2001.

The sCrUBS took the last game, but Da Sox took the series. Now let's take the division.

Other memorable moments

1990- Steve"Psycho" Lyons plays all nine positions in the Windy City Classic at "The Shrine". I was at that game!

2002- Paul Konerko gets hit in the head, and then decides to hit the sCrUBS where it hurts.......The Scoreboard!
Da Sox overcome an 8-0 deficit! and we have a White Sox winner!

Jerko
06-30-2003, 09:17 AM
My favorites are all listed already, Lee GS, Jose mocks Sham-me, Grace getting picked off, any game Wood loses. But how about the game where the Cubs bunted David Wells onto the disabled list in the first inning and still wound up losing the game? That was good; all the Cub fans were elated that they took such an early lead and they still lost.

Hangar18
06-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Friday, while the cubs were warming up on the field, a Whole
Bunch of us Sox Fans....all down the Right Field Line, and in the
BullPen Bar and RF Bleachers....Were Handing it to the Cub Pitchers as they ran sprints. They were Getting Barraged
with Insults, Mockery and Abuse. It was EXCELLENT. This team,
the Medias Team, so used to Love from the Media and its own foolish fans, was Not Used to This Verbal Assault. Almost all of
the players, though at first Ignoring us, began to feel the sting
of South Side Abuse, and a couple of them you could tell were
demoralized and dejected. It was nice to see those little
cubby faces of theirs look up meekly at the stands, wondering
why they were getting Accosted so Ferociously. I felt bad...
just a tiny bit. Then again, thats what they get for being
products of Media Sensationalism. I wish Kiley was there to
see that.

chisox56
06-30-2003, 11:58 PM
It is carlos lee's grandslam off of courtney duncan. It gives me goosebumps everytime i think about it or see it.

OEO Magglio
07-01-2003, 01:50 AM
1. The 8-0 comeback last year, that was amazing I really thought that was going to get the sox season jump started but obviously I was wrong.

2. Caballo's grand slam in 2001.