PDA

View Full Version : Sox marketing hits all time low

Blueprint1
06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Not since, "its time"(to finish in 3rd place) has it been this bad. This might even top that. I would have to say the sox players doing fireworks last year was bad. This is the worst though. I dont want to hear about how half the town thought the russians were coming. I don't think the little annoying girl that reminds me of Blossom from that annoying NBC show from the ealy 90's is cute. Here is an idea WhiteSox get some exciting music and show some highlights of the Sox playing baseball. Show the fans cheering. Dont show this stuff with the stupid boring music in the background or some annoying guy talking to us about his wife. If i didnt go to sox games because I love the team these stupid ads would never bring me to the park. okay im done.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Not since, "its time"(to finish in 3rd place) has it been this bad. This might even top that. I would have to say the sox players doing fireworks last year was bad. This is the worst though. I dont want to hear about how half the town thought the russians were coming. I don't think the little annoying girl that reminds me of Blossom from that annoying NBC show from the ealy 90's is cute. Here is an idea WhiteSox get some exciting music and show some highlights of the Sox playing baseball. Show the fans cheering. Dont show this stuff with the stupid boring music in the background or some annoying guy talking to us about his wife. If i didnt go to sox games because I love the team these stupid ads would never bring me to the park. okay im done.

lol..those commercials are cheese man...

There so embarrassing to watch to me...Maybe they should take some notes from the Mariners..there original and good...The recent one with Ichiro is good...
Sox marketing sucks... :?:

FJA
06-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1

These new ads are awful. MUCH worse than "It's time," IMHO. At least the players doing fireworks was so ridiculous it was worth laughing at. I want to barf every time the guy who talks about the Russians coming pollutes my television screen.

sox_fan_forever
06-18-2003, 10:46 PM
I agree 100% with you guys! I am the only Sox fan in my family and it's embaressing when those commercials come on when they are in the room! Come to think of it, they make me cringe even when I am alone.

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I agree 100% with you guys! I am the only Sox fan in my family and it's embaressing when those commercials come on when they are in the room! Come to think of it, they make me cringe even when I am alone.

I don't even watch the commercials during Sox timeouts on FSN or WCIU..that's an automatic channel flipping situation for me.
So for me(hopefully) I never have to see any of those commercials EVER again....

I bet the Alabama mudbuckets or whatever minor league team could do better ads then those...

MRKARNO
06-18-2003, 10:52 PM
You mean to tell me that you dont sing along with the girl when she starts singing OOOOEEEOOO Magglio Jose jose jose jose....?

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
You mean to tell me that you dont sing along with the girl when she starts singing OOOOEEEOOO Magglio Jose jose jose jose....?

I started weezing just reading your posts...
:chunks

AngelLeroy
06-19-2003, 12:19 AM
All three of them are terrible actors. They go so far overboard trying to convince everyone that they're true sox fans, that the whole thing comes off as forced and fake. Their wailing of "O-E-O Magglio," and "Jose, Jose, Jose." Makes me want to HURT them.

I don't mind the husband and wife one though, where the husband goes to the car to catch the game while his son is getting married, because it fits my dad to a T. :cool:

gosox3072
06-19-2003, 12:20 AM
YOu guys remember when a bunch of sox players did the conga line, that was the best i can remember :)

ShoelessFred
06-19-2003, 01:51 AM
anyone remember "Ventura Highway"? or "Officer" Ron Karkovice?

*head explodes*

AMestan
06-19-2003, 01:57 AM
Jerry & Gallas; simple + simpleton. The commericals are sick and disgusting. Gallas has no clue. Jerry hired him and could give a *%#t about perception or what we care. If they ever had a clue of what Sox fans, as well as, Chicagoans wanted they wouldn't have to make excuses about their on-going stupidity.

MRKARNO
06-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
I started weezing just reading your posts...

Post or posts plural?

ssang
06-19-2003, 09:02 AM
I say that the most embarrassing ad is when Konerko was running the bases with a little kid. The music is PATHETIC and the ads are geared towards 3 yr olds. What a joke this PR team is. How can they honestly sit at round table meetings and say "WOW, what a great idea!!!" "That's genius. Konerko rounding the bases is pure excitement. We should draw 40,000 a game now!" It's amazing and a damned shame that these PR guys get paid to come up with the worst, cheesiest, and most annoying commercials in the world. PEACE, I'm out like the fat kid in dodgeball!

P.S. I think Konerko rounded the bases more times in that commercial than he has the entire 2003 season!!!! Konerko is a disgrace to baseball and more importantly, to the entire human race. And I'm not exagerating!

Procol Harum
06-19-2003, 09:04 AM
It would be nice to see a genuine sense of humor displayed in Sox marketing efforts as opposed to the contrived sentimentality and forced cleverness that seems to be their forte. I'm not against sentiment or being clever, but unfortunately these clowns are so far out of touch with Sox fans they can't do a legitimate job of pulling off either. I'd kinda like if they could so some sort of variation on the "White Sox History" shtick they play at the Cell on the jumbovision-o-tron before every game. That would connect with Sox fans, methinks.

ssang
06-19-2003, 09:11 AM
I say that the most embarrassing ad is when Konerko was running the bases with a little kid. The music is PATHETIC and the ads are geared towards 3 yr olds. What a joke this PR team is. How can they honestly sit at round table meetings and say "WOW, what a great idea!!!" "That's genius. Konerko rounding the bases is pure excitement. We should draw 40,000 a game now!" It's amazing and a damned shame that these PR guys get paid to come up with the worst, cheesiest, and most annoying commercials in the world. PEACE, I'm out like the fat kid in dodgeball!

P.S. I think Konerko rounded the bases more times in that commercial than he has the entire 2003 season!!!! Konerko is a disgrace to baseball and more importantly, to the entire human race. And I'm not exagerating!

And yes, I posted this twice cause the Konerko stuff if priceless

mandmandm
06-19-2003, 09:15 AM
How about before the 96 or 97 campaign the "action movie" starring Thomas, Ventura, and the very likeable Al Belle. The actor/comedian (I use those terms loosely) Tim Kazurinsky was a villian. I think they actually spent money on that one but it was horrible and what it had to do with baseball I am not quite sure.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Ugh.

I saw that commercial with the 3 generations of Sox fans again last night, and you're right -- "cringe" is the operant word I think of.

But it got me thinking: how in the hell *do* you try to sell the Sox to a TV audience?

Do you emphasize the family-fun experience? (They've done this and still do it, to some extent, with the montage of shots of Elvis, people showering, eating hot dogs, etc.)

Do you emphasize the great players? (They've done this -- see "Men in Black" from a few years ago.)

Do you emphasize the Sox's history? (They're doing this now, sort of, with the '59/'83/'03 commercial running currently.)

I honestly don't know. It's been discussed to death here before, but the key to longterm viability of this franchise is to build longterm allegiances with young fans and build up the season ticketholder fanbase. Everything else is just temporary, since we don't have the luxury of the historical-ballpark angle of Wrigley or the North Side ambiance.

To be honest, I can't think of a realistic way to really, truly encourage curious outsiders to come to the park, short of lowering ticket prices and making it seem like a decent vacation outing, of sorts.

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Ugh.

I saw that commercial with the 3 generations of Sox fans again last night, and you're right -- "cringe" is the operant word I think of.

But it got me thinking: how in the hell *do* you try to sell the Sox to a TV audience?

Do you emphasize the family-fun experience? (They've done this and still do it, to some extent, with the montage of shots of Elvis, people showering, eating hot dogs, etc.)

Do you emphasize the great players? (They've done this -- see "Men in Black" from a few years ago.)

Do you emphasize the Sox's history? (They're doing this now, sort of, with the '59/'83/'03 commercial running currently.)

I honestly don't know. It's been discussed to death here before, but the key to longterm viability of this franchise is to build longterm allegiances with young fans and build up the season ticketholder fanbase. Everything else is just temporary, since we don't have the luxury of the historical-ballpark angle of Wrigley or the North Side ambiance.

To be honest, I can't think of a realistic way to really, truly encourage curious outsiders to come to the park, short of lowering ticket prices and making it seem like a decent vacation outing, of sorts.

The best way to market the White Sox is to put a team on the field that isn't out of the race by the middle of May! Now there's a unique freakin' strategy!

Konerkoholic
06-19-2003, 09:22 AM
How about emulating the style of the new All Star Game commercials? The ones that say "Now It Matters." Bonds gets brushed back, points his bat towards the pitcher. Good stuff. That last shot of Bonds cranking a homer and admiring it is awesome. How about showing Frank Thomas point his bat towards Ascencio, or Garland plunking Mientkiewicz? That would pump me up enough to go see a big series.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-19-2003, 09:32 AM
ok, you have the old man talking about '59. Then the guy talkin about the '83 playoffs. WHAT IN THE HELL DOES OEO MAGGLIO HAVE TO DO WITH THOSE? they are important moments in sox history, then the girl sings. horrible. and then when it cant get any worse, the jose chant. :whiner:

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The best way to market the White Sox is to put a team on the field that isn't out of the race by the middle of May!

Deeppink for pipedreams, TL.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The best way to market the White Sox is to put a team on the field that isn't out of the race by the middle of May! Now there's a unique freakin' strategy!

Hal, what about 2000, then? Remember how the Sox were still garnering crowds of 20-22,000 per game?

FJA
06-19-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by mandmandm
How about before the 96 or 97 campaign the "action movie" starring Thomas, Ventura, and the very likeable Al Belle. The actor/comedian (I use those terms loosely) Tim Kazurinsky was a villian. I think they actually spent money on that one but it was horrible and what it had to do with baseball I am not quite sure.

Haha ... "Line Shot." It was so bad it was good, though.

mandmandm
06-19-2003, 09:55 AM
Cheese:

I have talked to a couple Sox fans in the last week who claimed that if they start to win fans would show up. That was not the case in 2000 and even if in first place I do not see the stadium filled like in 91-94. I think Reinsdorf has chased away too many fans that will not return.

cheeses_h_rice
06-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Cheese:

I have talked to a couple Sox fans in the last week who claimed that if they start to win fans would show up. That was not the case in 2000 and even if in first place I do not see the stadium filled like in 91-94. I think Reinsdorf has chased away too many fans that will not return.

No doubt they would draw better if they were vying for first place with the Royals and Twins, but I think 2000 definitely proved that current ownership has really demolished the loyal fanbase that was there. I really, really wish some of the fairweather '91-'94 fans would come back, though.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2003, 10:18 AM
I think part of the attendence issue as well in 2000 was that many Sox fans considered the team a "fluke."

Guys who came out of nowhere to have a sensational year. After mid July the Sox struggled and many fans thought they were going to blow a ten game lead.

Had the Sox followed up 2000 with a strong 2001 the perception probably would have changed. But they didn't and the fans didn't (and it turned out those skeptical fans were right on the money.)

Lip

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Hal, what about 2000, then? Remember how the Sox were still garnering crowds of 20-22,000 per game?

Take a look at attendance and standings since the strike.

1995: 1,609,773 68-76 3rd -32 (strike shortened season)
1996: 1,676,416 85-77 2nd -14.5
1997: 1,865,222 80-81 2nd - 6
1998: 1,391,146 80-82 2nd - 9
1999: 1,338,851 75-86 2nd -21.5
2000: 1,947,799 95-76 1st + 5
2001: 1,766,172 83-79 3rd - 8
2002: 1,676,804 81-81 2nd -13.5

When the Sox had a good club they had their highest attendance since the strike, and an increase of over 608,000 in a single year. That is also an increase of 45.48%. And remember, the Sox barely played .500 ball the second half of the season.

Let's look at it another way. Top White Sox Attendance Seasons:

1991: 2,934,154
1992: 2,681,156
1993: 2,581,091
1984: 2.136.988
1983: 2,132,821
1990: 2,002,359
2000: 1,947,799

Yup. That's the seventh highest attendance in team history. And please note that the only ones higher were the resurgent Sox of 1990, the '83 division champs, the '84 residual effect from '83, the '93 division champs, and the first two years of Comiskey Park.

In other words, the fans came out for a winner in greater much greater numbers than the season before. Unfortunately, Reinsdorf had lost another ten years of goodwill with the public, the Sox couldn't match their '93 and '83 levels for comparable championships.

mandmandm
06-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Great numbers. Would you happen to have any projected/trend numbers for the 1994 season?

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-19-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by FJA
Haha ... "Line Shot." It was so bad it was good, though.

i still have a free giveway poster of that from soxfest. i remember the whole "batman, batman, and robin" thing. good memories.

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Great numbers. Would you happen to have any projected/trend numbers for the 1994 season?

In 1994, they drew 1,697,398 in a season that was shortened after the Sox played 113 games. I don't remember at this late date how many home dates they had played, but let's assume they had 24 games remaining (just under half of those lost to the strike). If that's the case then their projected attendance would have been about 2.4 million. If anybody has a 1993 schedule, the strike date was August 12, and you can go from there.