PDA

View Full Version : RIP Larry Doby


MarqSox
06-18-2003, 10:53 PM
Don't have a link, but BBTN reports Larry Doby died today of cancer.

Viva Magglio
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Here's a start:

From CBS SportsLine: "Doby, first black player in AL, dies at 79" (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/6437629)

Of course, we all knew Larry from when he took over for Bob Lemon in '78.

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 11:21 PM
This is sad news indeed. Doby was one of the guys I really idolized as a kid. He came to the Sox my second year as a fan and is involved in my most vivid childhood memory at a Sox game, the famous Sox-Yankees brawl that ended up with Enos Slaughter getting pummeled by Walt Dropo and walking off the field with his cap askew and shirt ripped off his back.

39thandWallace
06-19-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Don't have a link, but BBTN reports Larry Doby died today of cancer.

I never heard of this guy until today, I'm 27 so that might have a lot to do with it.

From what I've seen it's a shame this guy didn't receive much press until he died.
Robinson has his #42 retired through the entire league and this guy is a foot note, that's a shame.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-19-2003, 10:21 AM
RIP

i remember him being at SoxFest a few years back too

TommyJohn
06-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
This is sad news indeed. Doby was one of the guys I really idolized as a kid. He came to the Sox my second year as a fan and is involved in my most vivid childhood memory at a Sox game, the famous Sox-Yankees brawl that ended up with Enos Slaughter getting pummeled by Walt Dropo and walking off the field with his cap askew and shirt ripped off his back.

In fact, that fight started when Art Ditmar brushed Doby back
with a wild pitch. Ditmar ran to back up home plate, he and
Doby exchanged words, then Doby clocked him. There is another
picture I have seen from that brawl, with Doby looking as if he
is clocking (or about to clock) Ditmar, whose hat is flying off.
The home plate umpire is between them with one arm out, as
if trying to intercede. I like that picture much better than the
Slaughter one.

After the fight was over and order restored, Billy Martin jumped
Doby and began to pummel him. The fight was a contributing
factor to Martin getting consigned to the New York Yankee
graveyard, AKA the Kansas City A's.

TornLabrum
06-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
In fact, that fight started when Art Ditmar brushed Doby back
with a wild pitch. Ditmar ran to back up home plate, he and
Doby exchanged words, then Doby clocked him. There is another
picture I have seen from that brawl, with Doby looking as if he
is clocking (or about to clock) Ditmar, whose hat is flying off.
The home plate umpire is between them with one arm out, as
if trying to intercede. I like that picture much better than the
Slaughter one.

After the fight was over and order restored, Billy Martin jumped
Doby and began to pummel him. The fight was a contributing
factor to Martin getting consigned to the New York Yankee
graveyard, AKA the Kansas City A's.

As I remember it, it was two pitches. First Ditmar tried to bean him, and Doby went sprawling. Next pitch was wild. Runner was on second, and Ditmar ran in to cover the plate in case he tried to advance one more base.

You're right. I couldn't remember how the second half started, but you're right. Martin jumped Doby to restart the thing all over again.

One thing I learned last summer from Billy Pierce at a WCSF luncheon is that the reason Dropo tore into Slaughter was because Slaughter scratched Dropo's face with his fingernails.

Thanks for the help in clearing my memory.