PDA

View Full Version : Konerko

soxrme
06-18-2003, 02:46 PM
Is there any reason Konerko cannot get sent down to the minors?
Has he been around long enough that he can veto it or could he have something in his contract that says they need his permission. If not he should be sent down.
Also, I know this has been metioned in other threads, but that umpiring crew is horrible. KW should be on the horn to major league baseball and get them the hell out of this town.

ScottyTheSoxFan
06-18-2003, 04:46 PM
:reinsy
"I dont pay minor leaguers 8 mill a year"

MRKARNO
06-18-2003, 07:02 PM
I dont think we could send him down without risking that another team would pick him up and as much as he's been horrible this year, the sox would never let that happen

gosox41
06-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I dont think we could send him down without risking that another team would pick him up and as much as he's been horrible this year, the sox would never let that happen

Sounds like a good risk to me. Getting rid of Konerko frees up $ 8 mill. a year.

Freeing up $8 mill= a better chance of the Sox keeping Colon and not being in as big of a hurry to break up the team.

Bob

GASHWOUND
06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
Is there any reason Konerko cannot get sent down to the minors?
Has he been around long enough that he can veto it or could he have something in his contract that says they need his permission. If not he should be sent down.
Also, I know this has been metioned in other threads, but that umpiring crew is horrible. KW should be on the horn to major league baseball and get them the hell out of this town.

I just knew when Konerko pinched hit for Daubach in the 8th a trouble was a brewin'

And when he hit into the one thing we didn't want(a DP) I was SHOCKED!!!

What?!?! Pauly hitting into a big DP...

man, this guy is mentally messed up

MRKARNO
06-18-2003, 10:39 PM
I think the white sox would still have to pay him just like the damian easly situation in TB/Det

SoxOnTop
06-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Can't we just put him on the 15 day DL with a "bad back" and then send him down to AAA for a rehab stint just to get his confindence back? :?:

hose
06-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
:reinsy
"I dont pay minor leaguers 8 mill a year"

ROFLOL !!!!!!!

thezeker
06-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SoxOnTop
Can't we just put him on the 15 day DL with a "bad back" and then send him down to AAA for a rehab stint just to get his confindence back? :?:

That is the sensible thing to do but when do the SOX do the sensible thing. There certainly is something wrong with Konerko. He cannot even get the ball into the air. Everything is a slow roller to the right side of the infield.

That was shear lunacy having him ph tonite. If Koch would have let those 2 runs score Konerko's dp would have been the turning point in today's game. Even his hits lately have all been ground balls that have found a hole in the infield. He is injured. Pure and simple. I have a feeling he is too embarassed to let us all know he's had this injury since last year. Try and get him well or keep him on the bench. The very end of the bench!!!!!!

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by thezeker
That is the sensible thing to do but when do the SOX do the sensible thing. There certainly is something wrong with Konerko. He cannot even get the ball into the air. Everything is a slow roller to the right side of the infield.

That was shear lunacy having him ph tonite. If Koch would have let those 2 runs score Konerko's dp would have been the turning point in today's game. Even his hits lately have all been ground balls that have found a hole in the infield. He is injured. Pure and simple. I have a feeling he is too embarassed to let us all know he's had this injury since last year. Try and get him well or keep him on the bench. The very end of the bench!!!!!!

If certain contributors to this board are to be believed, it is Konerko's congenital hip disorder that is the cause of his problems. Since he seems to be getting nothing from down below when he swings, I tend to believe this.

gosox41
06-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
If certain contributors to this board are to be believed, it is Konerko's congenital hip disorder that is the cause of his problems. Since he seems to be getting nothing from down below when he swings, I tend to believe this.

Put him on the DL. He's not helping the team win.

Bob

gosox41
06-19-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by thezeker

What I thought was even worse was when Manuel had him move to 1B for the 9th inning. That means if Koch would have given up 2 or more runs, the sox would have lost Thomas' DH position in the batting order and Koch would be batting in his spot.

:jerry
I just love to tinker. Now get me a hammer so I can smash--I mean do some more tinkering.

soxrme
06-19-2003, 08:45 AM
I have a problem believing the Sox would have given him the large contract if he had a hip injury like that. If he is hurt he should be on the dl and lets get another player. As to pinch hitting last night, another goofy move by JM. I am sure a lot of people are shaking their heads over that one.

ma-gaga
06-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Put him on the DL. He's not helping the team win.

Bob

What I've heard,

If he has this degenerative hip, time on the DL won't help. He has to learn how to adjust his hitting style to fit his disability.

He's in trouble if he's too stubborn to adjust. Or too stubborn to admit that he's hurting. Then again, it's $8MM. I'm not sure what's written into his contract. There could be any number of things...

hold2dibber
06-19-2003, 09:47 AM
I have e-mailed both Teddy Greenstein and Phil Rogers to see if either is willing to provide their thoughts on whether Konerko indeed has a degenerative hip condition. Neither has responded. The more I see him hit, however, the more I think that there may be something to this "rumor". As others have noted, the guy has no strength - everything is a weak roller, which would seem to me to be consistent with someone who is hitting only with his arms, and not with his hips/lower body.

mack10zie
06-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by soxrme
I have a problem believing the Sox would have given him the large contract if he had a hip injury like that. If he is hurt he should be on the dl and lets get another player. As to pinch hitting last night, another goofy move by JM. I am sure a lot of people are shaking their heads over that one.

Yeah, I was checking for updates on the game on my phone and when I saw that Paul had pinch hit I was somewhat shocked. I jokingly told some people I was with that he was gonna hit into 5-2-3 double play. Fortunately I was wrong, but unfortunately it just so happened that he hit into a 6-2-3 DP. :(:

But something does have to be done with him. He was absolutely awesome in the first half last season..... and now he is absolutely horrible. Right now I'd be very happy just to see something in the middle. If he could bat like .280 the rest of the way out and bat 6th in the lineup I'd be content, simply based on how low my expectation of Pauly are right now.