PDA

View Full Version : Sox have 2000esque opportunity now

MRKARNO
06-18-2003, 01:56 PM
The White Sox of 2000 were different than those of 2003 in that they won early. The moment which defined the season in 2000 were the "seven glorious days" In which we beat the Yanks and the tribe (who had won the division in 5 straight years) for 7 straight games.

We have a similar opportunity right here at a similar junction of the season. 12 games against the Cubs and Twins. If the Sox wanted to play their hearts out and make a newfound effort to make the playoffs, they have a great chance right here. 7 Wins would be encouraging, but I'm thinking that if we can get 9 or 10 wins here, it would be the best possible situation for the sox. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if we took 5 from the flubs and 4 from the Twins. I might be alone in that however.

The Twin pitching has been horrid as of late and maybe we can capitalize.

I know the Sox of 2000 actually won most of the close games and had everyone hitting, but maybe we can get by with pitching this year and have mediocre hitting. Even if we take 6-8 games from that series, we have the easiest July possible with a month full of games with the D-rays, Tigers and Indians while the Twins and the Royals (especially the Royals) have to play tougher schedules.

This race will go down to the wire and not be an open and shut case like it was in 2000 due to our september schedule which I will remind everyone of:

2 vs. Bos
3 vs. Cle
4 vs Min
3 @ Bos
3 @ Min
3 vs. KC
3 vs. NY
4 @ KC

That's 14 games against the people higher than us in the division (as of now). I think that as long as JR and KW dont firesale in July and the Sox are within 4-5 games come september, the sox will continue to have a chance. Maybe we wont be as dominant as in 2000 if we made the playoffs, but in terms of talent, we're a better team and would probably pick up multiple wins in the playoffs.

The sox really dont have to do a lot to get to this point. Just some offense and some better fundamental baseball and we're at this point

thecell
06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
I agree with you 100%. The Sox have been a second half team these past couple of years and if you factor in the July schedule...you gotta have hope.

ChiSoxBobette
06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The White Sox of 2000 were different than those of 2003 in that they won early. The moment which defined the season in 2000 were the "seven glorious days" In which we beat the Yanks and the tribe (who had won the division in 5 straight years) for 7 straight games. We have a similar opportunity right here at a similar junction of the season. 12 games against the Cubs and Twins. If the Sox wanted to play their hearts out and make a newfound effort to make the playoffs, they have a great chance right here. 7 Wins would be encouraging, but I'm thinking that if we can get 9 or 10 wins here, it would be the best possible situation for the sox. I honestly wouldnt be shocked if we took 5 from the flubs and 4 from the Twins. I might be alone in that however. The Twin pitching has been horrid as of late and maybe we can capitalize.
I know the Sox of 2000 actually won most of the close games and had everyone hitting, but maybe we can get by with pitching this year and have mediocre hitting. Even if we take 6-8 games from that series, we have the easiest July possible with a month full of games with the D-rays, Tigers and Indians while the Twins and the Royals (especially the Royals) have to play tougher schedules. This race will go down to the wire and not be an open and shut case like it was in 2000 due to our september schedule which I will remind everyone of:

2 vs. Bos
3 vs. Cle
4 vs Min
3 @ Bos
3 @ Min
3 vs. KC
3 vs. NY
4 @ KC

That's 14 games against the people higher than us in the division. I think that as long as JR doesnt firesale in July and the Sox are within 4-5 games come september, the sox will continue to have a chance

I totally agree but I don't think this team has it in them to win enough games in a row to really get them on a major roll and I sure as crap know we don't have the manager. This division is right there for the taking look at what has happened to the twinkies , they're, I think; just not as good as everyone thinks they are and KC just may be better than everyone thought. KC has a manager that just won't let them quit unlike JM who it seems is in the dugout dreaming of retiring to his new home in Florida. Right this very moment Manuel should be getting these guys pumped for the next 2 vs the BoSox, 3 vs the flubs & the series vs the twinkies but who knows what Manuel is doing. I said it before manuel had the last six years as the Sox manager and he's only had one good year 2000 and I judge a good year as making the playoffs any other owner would have canned the guy by now.

Foulke You
06-18-2003, 04:59 PM
I keep waiting for this team to break out and go on a big winning streak but they just can't seem to string anything together. They follow up big wins like Monday with losses like yesterday where they coughed up an early lead and couldn't hit the rest of the game. I am encouraged by the signs of life being shown by the offense but this team needs to hit in order to win. If we don't start hitting up to our capabilities, we're done. Frank, Maggs, and Paulie should all be hitting above .300 although Frank is getting there. Jimenez needs to be more focused out there. We need steady production from Harris if he is to be our everyday CF. If I see a prolonged stretch of winning, I will become a believer in this team. You are correct though, I believe this coming stretch of games versus the Cubs and Twins will define our season.

gosox41
06-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

The sox really dont have to do a lot to get to this point. Just some offense and some better fundamental baseball and we're at this point

For the Sox, that's asking the a lot.

Bob