PDA

View Full Version : Sosa now blames Race

duke of dorwood
06-18-2003, 11:39 AM
I todays Sun Times he agrees with Mr public relations, Gary Sheffield by making a geture to reporters that Race is why he has been treated badly because of corked bat.

If there is a bigger Jag in sports, please direct him to me. This is the usual race cop out people use to be unaccountable for disfunctional behavior. And I am sooooooo sick of hearing this over and over. It was a matter of time before he copped this plea.

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2003, 12:14 PM
CINCINNATI--Sammy Sosa wasn't looking to stir up controversy Tuesday, but he left no doubt that he agrees with fellow superstars Pedro Martinez and Gary Sheffield that race was a factor in how his corked-bat case was perceived.

"It's the truth,'' Sosa said. "Everybody has the right to say what they feel. They say that because they feel it was unfair. [Some media and fans] got me up there like I was a criminal .

"I don't really want to put it that way because I'm not in the position right now. But it's something that the people who spoke [for] me, you can take it from them. I'm not alone in this world. I appreciate the support I got. But I know who my enemies are.''

In the wake of the corking incident, Martinez said Latin players are judged and treated differently.

"He had a reason why [he said that],'' Sosa said. "We see that reason every day.''

Asked in an ESPN interview why Sosa was vilified for what he called "a simple mistake,'' Shef-field rubbed his arm, referring to his and Sosa's skin color.

When asked about Sheffield's opinion, Sosa--who is scheduled to return tonight from a seven-game suspension--rubbed his own arm.

"I [did] that because you don't have a camera,'' Sosa said with a laugh.

The only reason Sham-ME* was treated "differently" is because he's in the 500 HR club and is such a superstar. This is a HUGE story, and it's incredibly obvious Sham-ME* is trying to deflect the story onto other issues, like racism.

Can anyone blame the media and fans for hyping up this story at all? The fact that one of the greats in baseball is also a cheater?

Anyone? Bueller?

Iwritecode
06-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
The only reason Sham-ME* was treated "differently" is because he's in the 500 HR club and is such a superstar. This is a HUGE story, and it's incredibly obvious Sham-ME* is trying to deflect the story onto other issues, like racism.

Can anyone blame the media and fans for hyping up this story at all? The fact that one of the greats in baseball is also a cheater?

Anyone? Bueller?

Yea, it must be the color of his skin. The fact that he's a huge superstar must not have anything to do with it. I mean if some white guy did something wrong I'm sure the media would just completely gloss over it and act as if it never happened. Just ask Pete Rose...

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Hey Sammy.....
He who Lives by the Sword, shall Die by the Sword

MetalliSox
06-18-2003, 01:00 PM
I love how these Latins can come to American, make million and millions of dollars, screw up, blame someone else, and then blame race.

Cop out! Sosa will be hearing it all weekend at The Cell next week!!!!!

balboner
06-18-2003, 01:05 PM
I find it hillarious that Gary Sheffield used the Sosa fiasco to voice his opinion on race issues after he was the one who heavily suggested that Sosa used steroids during an interview on HBO w/Bob Costas two years ago. Costas asked him about Bonds and Sosa on the juice, and he said "Let's just say I work out with bonds everyday, and I know he's working his ass off to be in great shape". Then, Costas asked him if he's saying Sosa doesnt work out to be as strong as he is, and Sheffield just nodded his head and told him to figure it out himself.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
It's statements like these that will keep this story in the news, the reporters even hotter on his trail, and if he's not careful, Scammin' Sammy hanging himself and his fake Public Image.

Disillusioned columnists like Rick Telander are going to eat up Scammin' Sammy for this latest bit of disingenuous nonsense. I can't imagine Scammy having any plausible reason for not cooperating with the reporters who want to clear Sammy's name by investigating his true story about using the bat for BP only. After all, it's Scammy himself who is whining about his "enemies" not believing his story.

It should go like this...

Big Media Columnist: "Sammy, name the dates and occasions you used the corked BP bat. We'll verify the facts for you and end the lingering doubts you rightly complain about from your 'enemies.' We're on your side!"

Scammy: "I don't want to talk about that."

Big Media Columnist: "Sammy, that's the response of a man guilty of lying. Do you want my help or not?"

Scammy: "You don't believe me, God bless you."

Big Media Columnist: "God bless you too, Sammy. And heaven help your soul when we 'out' this lie of yours as we inevitably will because there isn't one shred of evidence to suggest anything to the contrary."

All we need is one Big Media Columnist to earn his salary. Any takers? I'm having my doubts.

xil357
06-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Hey Sammy, how about curving it around for yourself, too, as you continue on your "woe is me" media masturbation tangent.

Jerko
06-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Doesn't ShamME realize that if everybody hated him because of his race he would not be the multi millionairre mega star he is now? What, was he white until the cork came out and magically changed colors since his suspension started? What color will he be when he comes back? Purple? What a joke. I hate him because he's a Jesus comparin, wife beatin, fundraiser stealin, steroid using, corked bat using, talking head non admitter of mistakes race card using fake ass lying not having an honest bone in his body Cub. I give a sh*T what color he is. I guess Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods have received almost God like admiration because they're 2 white guys from Greenwich or something. Sammy better be crucified when he get to the Cell; he already compared himself to Jesus once so crucifixion seems to fit.

Iwritecode
06-18-2003, 01:25 PM
I debated on putting this in it's own thread but it seems to fit here pretty well.

Check this story out. Lots of great quotes in here.

The Moron slams the "Great American Corker" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html)

xil357
06-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I debated on putting this in it's own thread but it seems to fit here pretty well.

Check this story out. Lots of great quotes in here.

The Moron slams the "Great American Corker" (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html)

It may be time to give Mariotti his props.

DrCrawdad
06-18-2003, 01:53 PM
Sosa could beat his wife with a rum bottle, use steroids, get caught using a corked bat then blame others, pull out the race card and still have people covering for him.

Iguana775
06-18-2003, 02:04 PM
hey SamMe, i got news for you. If you weren't such a media darling, you would have been ringed out a lot more than you were. Get over it you egotistical moron!

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by xil357
It may be time to give Mariotti his props.

From his column:

But I suspect we'll never get near the truth. The Cubs are in a pennant race, Sammy is back and thousands of hopeless, mindless sheep will continue to give him standing ovations at Wrigley Field.

Yes. Yes, it is time.

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Sosa could beat his wife with a rum bottle, use steroids, get caught using a corked bat then blame others, pull out the race card and still have people covering for him.

Oh, wait! He's allegedly done all of those!

alohafri
06-18-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow-I have to say that column is DELICIOUS!

I love Morriatti's use of the term, "The Friendly Corkfines"
LOL!!!! Hmmmm...that gives me an idea for a sign...

In the past I've made no secret of how I feel about "Moronatti" but since Corkgate, I have to give him his props for finally realizing what Sox fans have known all along about scamME. And I hope he continues to be relentless and keep the subject alive.

(Mrs. Aloha)

Foulke You
06-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Wow-I have to say that column is DELICIOUS!

I love Morriatti's use of the term, "The Friendly Corkfines"
LOL!!!! Hmmmm...that gives me an idea for a sign...

In the past I've made no secret of how I feel about "Moronatti" but since Corkgate, I have to give him his props for finally realizing what Sox fans have known all along about scamME. And I hope he continues to be relentless and keep the subject alive.

(Mrs. Aloha)

I agree. I must give Mariotti some credit because I thought he would be one to immediately rush to Sosa's defense. He hasn't and has been highly critical of him and won't let him off the hook.

maurice
06-18-2003, 03:12 PM
This is the same Sosa who (IIRC) years ago did not want to be identified as "black" or "African American," but rather insisted that the press call him "Dominican" or "Latin."

:shammy
"You racists only pick on me because I hit my wife with RUM bottle. If I hit her with 40-oz. OLD STYLE, Sox fans would like me."

:burly
"I prefer Budweiser. Did you hear that, Cards fans?"

:harry&jimmy
"I sure could use a nice Falstaff right about now."

:XL
"Ummm . . . beer . . . ."

voodoochile
06-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by maurice
This is the same Sosa who (IIRC) years ago did not want to be identified as "black" or "African American," but rather insisted that the press call him "Dominican" or "Latin."

:shammy
"You racists only pick on me because I hit my wife with RUM bottle. If I hit her with 40-oz. OLD STYLE, Sox fans would like me."

:burly
"I prefer Budweiser. Did you hear that, Cards fans?"

:harry&jimmy
"I sure could use a nice Falstaff right about now."

:XL
"Ummm . . . beer . . . ."

*****!

FJA
06-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Both Mariotti and Telander have given Corky what he had coming to him. Props to both.

Also, did anyone notice how the Sun-Times reported on the race issue and the Cubune completely downplayed the comment, saying Corky DIDN'T necessarily agree with Sheffield and Pedro (and Canseco too, if we want to take anything he says seriously). All the while quoting from the same press conference ... unbelievable.

(It was also page 3 news, not page 1 like in the Sun-Times)

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Both Mariotti and Telander have given Corky what he had coming to him. Props to both.

Also, did anyone notice how the Sun-Times reported on the race issue and the Cubune completely downplayed the comment, saying Corky DIDN'T necessarily agree with Sheffield and Pedro (and Canseco too, if we want to take anything he says seriously). All the while quoting from the same press conference ... unbelievable.

(It was also page 3 news, not page 1 like in the Sun-Times)

But the Tribune isn't biased. Just ask Mike Downey.

FJA
06-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
But the Tribune isn't biased. Just ask Mike Kiley.

I thought that was the case. The Sun-Times is the enemy!

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by FJA
I thought that was the case. The Sun-Times is the enemy!

You got me before I edited.

RedPinStripes
06-18-2003, 05:02 PM
You 're all a bunch of racists!!!!

How pathetic can this fake be? Now he's turning the tables as if he's done nothing wrong. And if he wanted this dropped, why the hell would he have another press conference just to avoid important questions and call the ones against him "racist"? He's digging his own grave and i'm loving it. The last guy that pulled the race card might have gotten away with murder, but was never forgiven in the public eye.

hose
06-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

Sosa beats the crap out of his wife:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/S/Sosa_Sammy.stm

In little more than two seasons with Chicago, Sosa never developed into a great hitter, but played a key role on the worst-to-almost-first White Sox of 1990. That season he was the only American League player to reach double-digits in doubles, triples, home runs and stolen bases, but he batted just .233, struck out 150 times in 532 at-bats, and made 13 errors in the outfield. Problems dogged Sosa off the field as well. That winter, he was accused of viciously beating his wife after she refused to grant him a divorce.

Frustrated by another subpar performance in 1991, the White Sox had no hesitation in sending Sosa to the crosstown Cubs before the 1992 season

StepsInSC
06-18-2003, 07:37 PM
I`d hate him no matter what color his skin was.

Viva Magglio
06-18-2003, 07:53 PM
I have a feeling that a lot of dirty laundry about Sosa will be coming out as a result of this. Rightly or wrongly, people will not be only looking into allegations of steroid use but also investigating things like Sosa's domestic relationship with wife Sonia. It will be just like when the dirty laundry came out about M. Jeff when Juanita originally filed for divorce (which she later rescinded).

fquaye149
06-18-2003, 07:55 PM
what i like best about this whole thing is when dusty "the guy everyone wishes would coach the sox" baker was asked how to tell kids what sammy had done he said something along the lines of,

"i think you should tell him that sammy made a mistake, that everyone does, but if you make a mistake you should handle it just like sammy did, because he owned up to his mistake and said he was sorry."

that is what i like best about this whole thing.

Fridaythe13thJason
06-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Politically, I'm very sensitive about race as many of you know. I am often the first to think that something may have been racially motivated. Often it is to a fault, I admit, but I am making my case as being someone who oftentimes thinks that. My point being, in no way, do I think this has anything to do with race. If Mark McGuire's bat popped open in 1999, it would've brought the world to a crashing hault, and everyone would've been so dissapointed in our hero .

soxwon
06-18-2003, 09:04 PM
anyone going to the games this and next weekend-PLEASE PLEASE BOO Shammy feverently-just a continuous boo sesion, and when he strikes out and he will-boo even louder.
About what pct of cub fans will boo Shammy?
there should be many.
ive talked to many cub fans and they are upset.
da reverand