PDA

View Full Version : MLB is getting like the NBA

Blueprint1
06-18-2003, 08:55 AM
It seems like every year MLB is getting more and more like the NBA. The reason i don't really like the NBA is that the officials pick players and give different rules to them. MJ, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Webber ext. are examples. These players can do whatever they want on the floor get all the calls because they are the "superstars" of the game. Now baseball seems to be a sport where some teams get all the calls. Some pitchers get a huge strike zone while others get one the actual size of a baseball. How can pitchers that come to the sox play terrible but when they leave lets say for the Yankees (David Wells) they play great again???? Will this happen to Colon when he leaves most likely yes. People like Glavine have destroyed this game with the huge wide plate they gave him in the 90's. All I ask if for every pitcher and hitter to get the same strike zone.

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Just Wait til Selig tries to divide the league up into "eastern"
and "western" conferences. His Idea of "rivalry" would be
to have the Cubs, Sox, Cardinals, Tigers in the Same Division.

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Selig is sloooooowly trying to ease this NBA mentality/look
into baseball. We should just make David Stern the first
Dual League Commissioner. Look what hes doing to the
All-Star Uniforms. Ridiculous Idea, and Ugly Uniforms.
I wont buy that merchandise. Why, because they think i'll
blindly buy into it? Total BS. The NBA operates on the
idea of Hyping certain teams up all the time. Look how the
MLB wants to downplay this whole thing. Selig comes out
and talks about what a great guy sammy is, all the "good
things hes done for the game", how he was so "Caring",
Sammy actually called Bud Selig at home a few days in a row after the incident to make sure Bud was "OK". this my friends is a total and complete CONFLICT OF INTEREST

mandmandm
06-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Sounds like both leagues are being run into the ground. You can probably throw the NHL in there is well. The owners and "unbiased" commissioners are as arrogant as they are blind. 3 of the big 4 sports leagues are slowly killing themselves. Ticket prices too high. Rich stars that look down on fans and accuse them of being racist when caught cheating. Kids have many more options today than traditional sports. No competitive balance. Unless these owners wake up they may find themselves with out a fan base and with a worthless investment. I was at the game last night and the half empty park on a beautiful night against a quality team was a pretty good illustration of this.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6435557

kermittheefrog
06-18-2003, 11:18 AM
It really bothers me the way Selig is eliminating the differences between baseball and other sports. Next thing you know Selig will move to cut the schedule in half.

npdempse
06-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I love any chance to bash Selig as much as the next guy, but I think this is the wrong place to do it. Whereas it may have been true that guys like Glavine and Schilling were getting an extra 6in. on the plate in years past, they've blown up at umps this year who are back to calling a legit plate due to the Questec threat.

Wells was just hurt and whiney when he was here; What calls is Colon not getting? He sure seems to be striking out about his career avg. of batters/inning.

Blueprint1
06-18-2003, 02:32 PM
did you watch the game last night? An umpire should call the same plate for both pitchers. Last night this did not happen.

npdempse
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
did you watch the game last night? An umpire should call the same plate for both pitchers. Last night this did not happen.

Cooper's a dumbass; this much we know. Tonight he was giving Loaiza calls, saying guys hadn't checked up their swings when it sure looked like they had. Who knows what his deal is. This isn't symptomatic of the sport in general.

Nellie_Fox
06-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Give credit where credit is due. MLB has publicly recognized the inconsistent strike zone, and has been trying to do something about it for the last several years. It's why they're using the machine (the name escapes me) to evaluate ball/strike calls by the umps right now.

The umpires have resisted being told to enforce the rules as written; they want to enforce the rules as they see them. They are whining up a storm about this machine, and they are getting the support of the superstars, because the superstars don't like losing their advantage. Barry Bonds expects to get the outside pitch on the black from journeyman pitchers called a ball, and Schilling expects the pitch 8 inches outside to be called a strike against journeyman hitters. Nothing above the belt is a strike for anybody.

If MLB gets their way, neither Bonds nor Schilling will get their way. We should support MLB in their attempt to get back to one strike zone, called as the rulebook says.