PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion

lowesox
06-18-2003, 07:52 AM
The Sox are now 6.5 games back of the twins. If they were to somehow put it together and get within 5 games by the all-star break, do you think they could make a run at this thing???

34 Inch Stick
06-18-2003, 08:17 AM
I have a personal rule of not worrying about games behined until my team is over .500.

moochpuppy
06-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Until they put together a string of winning 6 of 8, or 7 of 9, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 08:26 AM
NO. and for this Very Important Reason. This team DOES NOT
KNOW HOW TO MOVE A RUNNER INTO SCORING POSITION.
They arent very smart in Situational Hitting Either. Rios last nite
in the 8th perfect example. finally get 1st and 2nd and get
Burkett taken out. Rios comes in and swings at the 1st pitch
which was POOR and grounds out to end the inning and
effectively the game. This is how Losing Teams Lose. Show me a team that can get a guy to first, then move him all the way
to 3rd...and I'll show you a team with a good chance to Win.
i'll be at the game tonite in spite of it all ............

Hullett_Fan
06-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Until they put together a string of winning 6 of 8, or 7 of 9, I'm not going to be holding my breath.

That's exactly what it will take to get back in this thing...a 9 game winning streak with 3 of those wins coming against the Twins.

Nothing so far has given me the inclination to believe this group of slugs can pull it off. Should have taken at least 7 of 10 on this homestand and can't do that. Ughhh

FJA
06-18-2003, 10:10 AM
This team has too much bad luck and a manager who couldn't figure out how to light a fire under his team's a** if we poured the gasoline and gave him the matches. I don't think we're out of it, but I'm not getting excited until this team pulls within two or three games, which, don't get me wrong, could happen if we play to a fraction of our potential, KC plays down to theirs and Minnesota continues to crack like all good teams with bad upper management. I think that's reasonable, but we need the luck of them happening together, which I'm not sure we'll get.

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by FJA
This team has too much bad luck and a manager who couldn't figure out how to light a fire under his team's a** if we poured the gasoline and gave him the matches. I don't think we're out of it, but I'm not getting excited until this team pulls within two or three games, which, don't get me wrong, could happen if we play to a fraction of our potential, KC plays down to theirs and Minnesota continues to crack like all good teams with bad upper management. I think that's reasonable, but we need the luck of them happening together, which I'm not sure we'll get.

Just pray we don't get 3.5 games behind because The Chairman will then decide there's no way we can catch the Twins and will call for White Flag II.

mandmandm
06-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Anyone know what the longest winning streak this team has had since their 13 game streak in the first half of 2000. My guess is six games or less. My point being that good teams normally go on runs >=7-8 game streaks once or twice a year that pulls them ahead in the division or pulls them up to the teams ahead of them. This team has difficulty winning a three game series.

duke of dorwood
06-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Dont forget, we havent exactly spanked the Royals and Indians either and along with winning the majority of games with the Twinks, we have to win those too. Thats too tall an order, this just isnt a dominant enuf team to do that, even in this division.

gosox41
06-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I have a personal rule of not worrying about games behined until my team is over .500.

I agree. And the frustrating thing is they could have pulled to within a game or two of .500 over the last week and a half with just a little timely hitting, heads up fielding, and decent base running.

Bob

pudge
06-18-2003, 12:27 PM
I have to agree with everyone on this thread. We have no fundamentals. I don't know what the heck has happened with our hitters. Did you see Burkett last night pitch everyone away, away, away - and all our pathetic hitters trying to pull the ball? When the heck is Daubach going to get to play full-time over Konerko?

Anyway, no, I don't see us getting back in this race at all. I won't be excited until we're in first place.

FarmerAndy
06-18-2003, 02:22 PM
The Sox have been 6-8 games back for a really long time now, which tells us 2 things.

1. The Twins aren't really all that great. They have been playing at about the same level as us, and haven't been able to run away with it.

2. The White Sox have absolutely no ability to capitalize on the fact that Minnesota has been playing mediocre baseball. When the Twins give us an opportunity by dropping 2 or 3 straight games, we go ahead and drop 2 or 3 straight games.

The fact that the Twins got a jump on us early in the season is huge because right now they are no better than the Sox. But as long as the 2 teams keep playing at about the same level, that 6-8 game space between them in the standings is going to remain.

Plus, don't forget about K.C. either. They obviously aren't as good as they looked in the first few weeks, but they have kept a good enough pace to stay in it.

Randar68
06-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Yes, they have a shot at the Twins. Hawkins and Guardado taught us that no matter how "buddy-buddy" everyone says they are in the Twinkie clubhouse, these prima-donna's still have giant egos.

The wheels are falling off the buss in Minnesota and they don't have the pitching to hold on if someone starts challenging them.

Chisox353014
06-18-2003, 04:52 PM
This division is so awful we still have a shot. But unless we get some consistent offense it's just going to be more of the same maddeningly frustrating stuff. I'm not holding my breath.
You know the saddest thing about this year is that if Beuhrle and (to a lesser extent) Colon had pitched like the supposed "aces" that they are, we'd be right at the top of the division even with our terrible offense. Not blaming it all on them of course, this team has a lot of problems, but flip Mark's record around and we're in 1st place.

Randar68
06-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
This division is so awful we still have a shot. But unless we get some consistent offense it's just going to be more of the same maddeningly frustrating stuff. I'm not holding my breath.
You know the saddest thing about this year is that if Beuhrle and (to a lesser extent) Colon had pitched like the supposed "aces" that they are, we'd be right at the top of the division even with our terrible offense. Not blaming it all on them of course, this team has a lot of problems, but flip Mark's record around and we're in 1st place.

Or, they could be pitching the way they have been and we still could be in first if we ever had any offense and clutch hitting to take pressure off those guys.

gosox41
06-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Yes, they have a shot at the Twins. Hawkins and Guardado taught us that no matter how "buddy-buddy" everyone says they are in the Twinkie clubhouse, these prima-donna's still have giant egos.

The wheels are falling off the buss in Minnesota and they don't have the pitching to hold on if someone starts challenging them.

Any day the Sox want to fill the role of challenger is fine by me.

Bob