PDA

View Full Version : Mike Downeys Column Yesterday...

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 08:43 AM
In the Cubune. I read it and quite frankly, thought it
was so off the wall, I didnt know whether it was Tongue-In-
Cheek or not. Im thinking it was. He talked of the Great
Media Conspiracy on the local and national Levels regarding
Cubs coverage/Lack of Sox Coverage. I know these Media
guys are STARTING TO GET OUR LETTERS/EMAILS and such
(SEE Changing the Media Thread) He pointed out a bunch
of things the "media" did to give extra attention to the
way overhyped Yanks visit (even though the Yanks are here
every year to play the SOX) He basically EXAGGERATED
a lot of points. But im thinking the Jokes on Cub Fans....
and he Merely was ACKNOWLEDGING the fact that YES,
no matter how good the Sox are doing in the Standings,
The Cubs get 1st crack at Premium Coverage because "
People are more interested". Hmmmm, so what came
first....The Chicken Or The Egg ???

mandmandm
06-18-2003, 09:09 AM
I don't recall one article I have read by this guy since he returned to Chicago that was even mildly enjoyable/interesting/entertaining/informative. Who would have thought I would ever want Skip Bayless back??

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 09:33 AM
come to think of it, your right. Everything by this guy
is completely uninformative, or like yesterdays article, bizarre.
I heard george bova, the cub beat writer on the Cub Morning Show at WSCR. They mustve run out of guests to talk about the
cubs, so they got a beat writer on so he could talk cub. He
said something that was memorable. He mentioned that "drives
him crazy" when the cubs misuse the bullpen or some bs to that
effect. He sounded very much like a cub fan being paid to
talk about a team. then again, maybe if you cover a team day
in/day out, you end up rooting for them? Would explain why
Mike Kiley, CubFan/Supporter/CrackReporter/SometimeColumnist/Talent Scout lets his feelings bleed into his "writing" fluff pieces daily.

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

Uh........he was being sarcastic, essentially saying there was no conspiracy.

FJA
06-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Uh........he was being sarcastic, essentially saying there was no conspiracy.

Yeah, the tone was "you're a bunch of idiots, and I'm just doing my job." And then, of course, to keep everyone happy, he added "I love the White Sox and always have" (which I don't think was meant to be sarcastic).

My big problem with this guy, other than the fact he tries WAY too hard to be funny and original (succeding at neither), is that, whenever he talks baseball, he tries to please everybody at some point. Thus, his columns usually end up saying absolutely nothing important.

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by FJA
Yeah, the tone was "you're a bunch of idiots, and I'm just doing my job." And then, of course, to keep everyone happy, he added "I love the White Sox and always have" (which I don't think was meant to be sarcastic).

My big problem with this guy, other than the fact he tries WAY too hard to be funny and original (succeding at neither), is that, whenever he talks baseball, he tries to please everybody at some point. Thus, his columns usually end up saying absolutely nothing important.

Reading that article a few times over, I dont think this bozo
is a sox fan. Any Sox fan in their right mind (esp if theyve
followed the team from at least the 70's) would see the
disparities regarding coverage, and how it affects how a team
is perceived worldwide. Downey is a buffoon. Good point
on how he doesnt stay with an angle on his column. Almost
like he was trying to write a cooking column, then decided to
rip on the sox, then decided he didnt want to rip on the sox.
Look at how this article ends to see our point.

voodoochile
06-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm, so what came

The only problem with your question is the fact that shortly after JR bought the Sox, he killed the chicken for dinner and then boiled the egg for breakfast. Leaving Sox fans without anything to eat and thus many of their young children were forced to turn elsewhere for their sustenance. The fact that JR and his cooking buddy EE then tried to charge Sox fans a lot of money for the basic necessitys of life didn't help either. Unfortunately they thought they had the only market in town - they were wrong.

Years later they tore down the old market and tried to erect a new fancy market and initially it worked, but then they chased off the workers and closed the store just as the fans were getting ready to feast on a huge delicious buffet. Then JR blamed the lack of food on the fans. Years later he traded off many good workers who had done well to put food back on the table. JR again blamed the fans and he hasn't stopped doing it yet. Add in the fact that his choice of Chef and Sous Chef have left a LOT to be desired and you get the makings of Flubbie Stew. The recipe is simple:

1)Add a generation of young fans.
2)Mix in a baseball "shrine"
3)Stir in a healthy dollop of bad Sox PR, high prices and bad marketing.
4)Add white flag seasoning followed by ShamME HR Record chase flakes combined with pennant race fever heat
5)Serve in a huge fan friendly media owned bowl
6)sprinkle lightly with national media indifference (optional)
7)Throw it all in a pot and let simmer for 24 years

Tastes like crow...

Hangar18
06-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The only problem with your question is the fact that shortly after JR bought the Sox, he killed the chicken for dinner and then boiled the egg for breakfast. Leaving Sox fans without anything to eat and thus many of their young children were forced to turn elsewhere for their sustenance. The fact that JR and his cooking buddy EE then tried to charge Sox fans a lot of money for the basic necessitys of life didn't help either. Unfortunately they thought they had the only market in town - they were wrong.

Years later they tore down the old market and tried to erect a new fancy market and initially it worked, but then they chased off the workers and closed the store just as the fans were getting ready to feast on a huge delicious buffet. Then JR blamed the lack of food on the fans. Years later he traded off many good workers who had done well to put food back on the table. JR again blamed the fans and he hasn't stopped doing it yet. Add in the fact that his choice of Chef and Sous Chef have left a LOT to be desired and you get the makings of Flubbie Stew. The recipe is simple:

4)Add white flag seasoning followed by ShamME HR Record chase flakes combined with pennant race fever heat

Tastes like crow...

HEHEHHEEHHEHEH. This is excellent. you know, the only thing
thats happened since ive become a Sox Fan, is Ive become Older
now. and own a few jerseys. and met a bunch of cool people.
but thats it. NO WORLD SERIES

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by FJA

Hmm...the anti-Mariotti?

:moron

Where this is light, there is also shadow, Cheeses.

ssang
06-18-2003, 12:40 PM
Honestly, I can't stand Mike Downey. I haven't enjoyed ONE stinkin' article that he's written since coming to the Trib. I don't care if he's a Sox fan or not. His articles suck and he has noothing interesting to say. Also, he seems arrogant to me. Anyone agree?

Foulke You
06-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Do what I do guys, just avoid the Tribune like the plague. You'll be happier for it. I also avoid any Tribune owned affiliates such as WGN News or CLTV (Cub Lover Television) Sports. I can't expect fair coverage from them so I simply don't read/don't tune in to their tripe and I'm happier for it.

Iwritecode
06-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Tastes like crow...

While it's true that a lot of the media bias that exists today is of JR's own making, I think the point of this thread is the fact that the media denies that it exists at all.

xil357
06-18-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
While it's true that a lot of the media bias that exists today is of JR's own making, I think the point of this thread is the fact that the media denies that it exists at all.

Yes, and interesting that Downey writes about it presumably on the heels of Sox fans' letters to the editor! He is reacting to the Sox Army's letters! The letter-writing campaign is working! Just the fact that he acknowledges that there is such a sentiment among Sox fans means that it is working! Now is the time to step it up to the next level!

voodoochile
06-18-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

My point isn't about the media coverage at all. It is about the problems that confront the Sox. 10% or less of those problems are generated by media bias and the rest of it is the fault of JR, et al. In fact, some of the media bias can be blamed on them also. Keep up the writing if you guys want to, but in the end it will make a minimal difference in the way this team is perceived and the number of fans they draw. Or, to stay with my food analogy - you guys are attacking the salad and not touching the meat of the issue. That is of course all, JMHO...

:selljerry

hold2dibber
06-18-2003, 04:21 PM

The artcile was clearly sarcastic - his point, essentially, was that Sox fans are paranoid and the idea of a great media conspiracy at the Trib (or elsewhere) to favor the Cubs and denigrate the Sox is absurd. What his article failed to address, however, is the FACT that there is and has been a HUGE discrepancy between Cubs coverage and Sox coverage. Whether the discrepancy is due to a pre-conceived conspiracy or directive or whether it is the result of some entirely unintentional bias is irrelevant - the discrepancy exists and instead of tackling that issue head on, Downey chose instead to ridicule and belittle Sox fans for their understandable reaction to the FACT that a HUGE discrepancy in media coverage exists.

TornLabrum
06-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
The artcile was clearly sarcastic - his point, essentially, was that Sox fans are paranoid and the idea of a great media conspiracy at the Trib (or elsewhere) to favor the Cubs and denigrate the Sox is absurd. What his article failed to address, however, is the FACT that there is and has been a HUGE discrepancy between Cubs coverage and Sox coverage. Whether the discrepancy is due to a pre-conceived conspiracy or directive or whether it is the result of some entirely unintentional bias is irrelevant - the discrepancy exists and instead of tackling that issue head on, Downey chose instead to ridicule and belittle Sox fans for their understandable reaction to the FACT that a HUGE discrepancy in media coverage exists.

And you can trust him because he writes it in Chicago's most respected newspaper, the Tribune, so he clearly has no bias.

maurice
06-18-2003, 04:54 PM
The Trib is always 100% accurate, just like the New York Times.

soxruleEP
06-20-2003, 12:15 PM
What Downey did was use the past week's event (i.e. the Yanks and the Sox's poor performance of late) to justify the on-going disparity in coverage.

This is Cubbune work at its best--like coming out against Shamme in one column while the four articles and notes support him.

If that had been Frank, what would the coverage have been like?

chisoxt
06-20-2003, 01:17 PM
I have always tried to trumpet the case that the trib is somewhat fair in the coverage given to the Sox. However, the disgusting, lick-job press given to the Cubs not just by the trib but the Bright One, has pushed me over the edge.