PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Bullpen Logic

chisoxt
08-21-2001, 05:25 PM
I always thought that the logic of moving a struggling pitcher to the bullpen is to give them the opportunity to pitch in 'garbage time' situations to help regain their confidence and get their act together. Why, then are we seeing guys like Biddle and Wells come in during critical situations late in the game? The inevitable outcome is that they fail. Someone please explain the logic behind doing this. I would rather see these guys start than coming into a game and turning a potential win into a loss.

Paulwny
08-21-2001, 05:31 PM
Only JM and Nardi know the answer, although the pen is overworked, the main reason Lowe pitched so deep into yesterdays game.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 05:35 PM
Well, as I would guess, taking guys like Kip and Rocky Biddle from the starting rotation, primarily because they often dig us in a hole that this Frank-less offense can't get itself out off...

That, and sometimes, coming out of the pen brings out a different pitcher sometimes (Jon Garland). It also doesn't hurt, as daver claims (and he may be right), that Rocky Biddle is injured and the Sox don't want to admit it.

I suppose the question is when is it best to have a bad pitching performance? The start, or maybe the 7th-8th innings?

KempersRS
08-21-2001, 05:37 PM
Why, then are we seeing guys like Biddle and Wells come in during critical situations late in the game? The inevitable outcome is that they fail. Someone please explain the logic behind doing this. I would rather see these guys start than coming into a game and turning a potential win into a loss.

Well, when else could they come into the game? We haven't had many garbage chances in the last few weeks aside from last night. I don't think Kip has really failed since his move, so I can't agree there, Biddle has sucked, but he is hurt and thats a different story. They have been brought in during crucial times, but we have no other choice. If you wanna save them for the wash up games, that means you want Embree, Howry, and Ginter in the close ones. This team needs a serious bullpen makeover, a lot of that depends on who recovers from injury next year.

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, as I would guess, taking guys like Kip and Rocky Biddle from the starting rotation, primarily because they often dig us in a hole that this Frank-less offense can't get itself out off...

That, and sometimes, coming out of the pen brings out a different pitcher sometimes (Jon Garland). It also doesn't hurt, as daver claims (and he may be right), that Rocky Biddle is injured and the Sox don't want to admit it.

Well it's also a matter of finding out who can do what. This is the time to see what role Wright and Glover fit into. Who is the starter and who belongs in the pen.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Well it's also a matter of finding out who can do what. This is the time to see what role Wright and Glover fit into. Who is the starter and who belongs in the pen.

:keith
I belong in New York, or some other big market, high salary team.