PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay

Viva Magglio
06-17-2003, 10:50 PM
When will Uncle Bud wake up and realize that MLB needs instant replay? Will he wait until an umpire's blown call costs his dear Milwaukee Brewers a game? I am tired of situations such as tonight where umpires make blown calls that cost teams runs. My instant replay system would be as follows:

A replay official would sit in the press box and call for a review anytime there is a controversial or too-close-to-call play. Unlike NFL coaches, I would not give managers the power to challenge a call on the field. Each and every time there is a questionable call, the press box official would buzz the crew chief umpire who would go to a camera well monitor and review the play. Like the referee (Ed Houhuli!) in NFL games, the crew chief is assigned the power uphold or reverse the call on the field based upon what he sees.

I do not care how many reviews have to be made during a game. I do not care how long such reviews delay the game. I do not care about any other inconveniences caused by such reviews. The fact of the matter is that instant replay is absolutely necessary because these umpires are increasingly getting worse at making calls. I realize that no umpire can call a perfect game. Nobody is disputing that. But what is needed is an added element to improve the quality of the game officiating: INSTANT REPLAY.

fquaye149
06-18-2003, 07:42 AM
i respectfully disagree. i think this questtec thing is bad enough.

the main problem i have with instant replay is not that it takes the human element out of the game(which it does) but that it makes an issue out of every close play. sometimes a close play is a close play. sometimes on an 0-2 pitch a ball 2 inches off the plate will be called a strike. sometimes when you're down by 10 runs and you're trying to steal second with 2 outs you're gonna get called out when you might have barely slid under it.

this is fine and dandy in the nfl...but is ncaa football that much worse off? let's keep this a ballgame and separate it from the perfectionism of other pro sports. at least the refs aren't corrupt like in the nba

just my $.02

Meixner007
06-18-2003, 09:56 AM
Yes the NCAA is that much worse off. Extremely worse off. A teams whole season can be lost on one game. Some say Miami would be NCAA champs right now. I don't really care about Miami, but yes the NCAA needs instant replay more than anyone right now. Remember those horrible calls that went in favor of Nortre Dame?

Viva Magglio
06-18-2003, 06:38 PM
The "human element" is a load of crap. Why does there have to be an exclusive "human element"? The "human element" is exactly the problem, contributing to the inability to make the right calls. Look, among other things, we've been screwed out of two home runs so far this season because umpires can't see straight. It's time to right these wrongs.

fquaye149
06-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
Yes the NCAA is that much worse off. Extremely worse off. A teams whole season can be lost on one game. Some say Miami would be NCAA champs right now. I don't really care about Miami, but yes the NCAA needs instant replay more than anyone right now. Remember those horrible calls that went in favor of Nortre Dame?

no offense but if anything notre dame got screwed...did you see the fsu game?

but like they always say, don't blame the officials until you play a flawless game. miami should have never been in ot vs. osu. we should not have gotten basically no-hit after the first inning.

i am personally opposed to the instant replay, but if they bring it in, it's no big deal. i'm not a hardcore "purist"...in fact i dont' even mind the dh.

all i know though, is that it's never the official's fault when a team loses. period.

(except when it's like in remember the titans...the movie...you know what i'm talking about)