PDA

View Full Version : Brewers up 3-1 n/m

Spiff
08-21-2001, 03:30 PM

Soxboyrob
08-21-2001, 03:38 PM
Isn't all of this Anti-Cub sentiment on this board a little out of hand and perhaps a little childish? It's easy to root against the Cuddly little Cubbies and not seem like a bunch of jealous doofs. Sorry, just venting today.

Jerry_Manuel
08-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
It's easy to root against the Cuddly little Cubbies and not seem like a bunch of jealous doofs. Sorry, just venting today.

:moron
It's easy to root against the Sox.

Chisox353014
08-21-2001, 04:27 PM
Isn't all of this Anti-Cub sentiment on this board a little out of hand and perhaps a little childish?

Ummm...NO. Try living in the city and/or going anywhere near the north side, or for that matter turning on a radio or TV or opening a paper. It's been Cub overkill all damn summer for no good reason. The Sox got almost no support last year with a far better team. It gets annoying. Really annoying.

On a related note...CUBS LOSE!! CUBS LOSE!! CUBS LOSE!! HOOOOOOLY COW!!! CUBS LOSE!!

Oh yeah- they tried to make it look like Harry never worked anywhere except Wrigley too.

Fisk Fan
08-21-2001, 04:42 PM
Everywhere I turn, it seems like the media is force-feeding this Flubbie crap. I cannot even watch TV, or listen to the radio without hearing about how great Sally So-So and the Flubs are.

The truth is, they are a mediocre team that had a good stretch of wins against some sub .500 ball clubs. Keep in mind that these are the same ball clubs Flubs fans are complaining about, and how the Astros "get to" play them now.

This kind of crap just grows on the nerves a little bit, and I don't think we're being jealous or childish or stupid about it. We are merely bringing facts to the surface about the relationship between the Sox and the Flubs, and how each team is promoted (or not) when they are winning and losing.

The only salvation that I can depend on now is the Flubs dropping to third and completely out of the Wild Card race, which may be sad, but so is the mullett haircut, and you still see them everywhere!

Soxboyrob
08-21-2001, 04:45 PM
I have lived in the city and the north side and know exactly what you're talking about. I read the Trib and Times every day. It's just sad to see this board so consumed w/ what the Cuddlies are doing instead of the Sox. My point is that we come off as bitter and jealous when we act like that.

I also felt like we got plenty of exposure last season. Part of the excessive Cub exposure this season has had to do w/ 1) It was completely unexpected by a team that was projected for about 4th place and 2) Anytime a team known as the "Lovable losers" starts to look like they might be in the playoffs, there's gonna be publicity and 3) There are a lot more Cub fans in the Chicago area than Sox fans, plain and simple.

cheeses_h_rice
08-21-2001, 05:04 PM
Rob, plain and simple, my 2 favorite things in baseball are:

1. The Sox winning.

2. The Flubs losing.

I cannot ignore the Flubbiemania happening around me, nor do I want to. I have, in part, defined my being a Sox fan because of my hatred toward Flub fans (back when I lived 3 blocks from Wrigley) during a time when I didn't much care about sports vs. other things happening in my life at the time. The Flubs and their cheerleaders and fans remind me so much of social cliques (fratboys/sorority girls, guys who never really got out of that mentality of living in Mom's basement and watching Bozo's Circus with the Flubbies following on WGN) and institutions that I detest ("let's celebrate losing!"), and that's part of the reason I *am* a Sox fan still. Call it the underdog mentality or what have you, but I accept it and embrace it.

Let's face it: the 2001 season has been anything but pretty for the Sox, and there hasn't been much to cheer about with this team. It's only natural, to me at least, that my attention turns more toward rooting against the Flubbies this time of year. I can't stand them, and as long as I can kick 'em when they're down, I will. So be it.

Soxboyrob
08-21-2001, 05:10 PM
I'll do my best to understand the need to publicly rip the Cub organization and watch them crumble w/ glee. Personally, I'll just sit back and enjoy it in private. And enjoy it I will.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
3) There are a lot more Cub fans in the Chicago area than Sox fans, plain and simple.

Oooooo - I'll argue that to the grave. The problem isn't that the Cubs have more fans, the problem, IMO, is that Chicago has some of the worst baseball fans in the country. They are fans who would rather see someone hit 3 homers and come out for a curtain call, despite losing by what? 10 runs, than actually win! This city has a very warped notion of baseball, primarily caused by the fact that there are 2 teams here. In every place I have been to that has housed an MLB team, they have all been better than Chicago fans in general.. By team, I think Sox fans are very good, but when you throw in the 66.7% of Chicago baseball fans that are the "fair-weather, Cub-leaning" fans, you really see how bad of a baseball town Chicago really is.

PHG knows what I'm talking about! (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)

And it doesn't hurt that the Flubbies are owned by the biggest media machine this side of the New York Times!

Also, the Sox got no were near the same press the Flubbies did, and John Kass is right. It's because most of the brainless media that is in this city originally comes from places over the horizon. Skip Bayless is a perfect example. He is native of Dallas. They end up on the North Side, completely brainwashed into thinking the South Side is so "scary," and then can't help but try and suck up to the biggest newspaper in the region by rooting for its team. Its not rocket science here.

And, I wish I had your power to block out Cub fans, but in reality, I can't. What better place to go than a Sox board? Where annoying brainless Flub fans can't bet past the guard dog that is know around here as FarWestChicago? This is the perfect spot to vent, and because of that, it makes it look like all I, and others, care about is watching the Cubs lose. I could care less about the Cubs. Them losing is an added bonus to my day, but who gives a damn? I love the Sox. I only want the Sox to win. I'd rathe see the Indians or Yankees lose than the Cubs. I just have to deal with a lot more Cub fans than Indian or Yankee fans, so that just makes a Cub loss that much more exciting. If I lived in Detroit, I'd probably like it when the Tigers lost, cuz it meant something to us due to the quasi-rivalry developing, and just because I don't like the Tigers.

That fealt good.

PutItOnTheBoard
08-21-2001, 06:03 PM
I started this year admiring from afar, but not rooting for, the Cubs based on their tenacity and ability to pull out games. It reminded me a bit of us last year. Now, they look just what they are: a mediocre team who lucked into a couple hot streaks at a time when the main rivals in their division were having problems.

But I went from being indifferent to actively rooting against them at the time of the Cubs/Sox series at Wrigley, when after leaving the park following Buehrle's victory some Cub moron said "How's third place" or some nonsense like that. Well, all I can say is he'll have the opportunity to find out for himself in the next day or so.

But now I'm to the point of almost feeling sorry for the Cubs. Almost. You can't even get a rise out of their fans anymore, now that reality has begun to sink in. I was at a Lincoln Park bar (long story) last Sunday watching the game and cheering on the Diamondbacks. The place was full of well-scrubbed Cub fans, fresh from the air-and-freakin'-water-show (don't get me started on that one), and ready to cheer on their beloved Cubbies. I couldn't get a Cub fan to challenge me. Heck, I don't think anyone even shot me a dirty look. Man, that's no fun! Today at his press conference Don Baylor looked like he was going to cry. I think the fatalism has finally squashed the optimism.

doublem23
08-21-2001, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by PutItOnTheBoard
Today at his press conference Don Baylor looked like he was going to cry. I think the fatalism has finally squashed the optimism.

:shammy
Don't worry! I will still hit home runs!

Yeah, but now that they have fallen from first place, I do care less about them. Great post, PIOTB.