PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/17/03 Chisox vs. Bosox Game thread


MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Great first inning 4 doubles in a row and a 1-2-3 inning by Colon. Let's keep up the good work White Sox

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Okay that was a HR by Maggs. If it hits the top of the fence and goes over the wall its a HR. IF a Ball hits the Foul pole it is considered a HR therefore if it hits the top of the wall and than hits the foul pole it is a HR looks like the Sox are getting a bad wrap again. I can't believe how many times that has happend this year. I hope they keep hitting like this all game.

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Well looks like that Run could mean alot. Thanks JM for sitting on your butt and not going out there

A.T. Money
06-17-2003, 07:40 PM
I guess Colon doesn't like the big lead. 3-2 Real Sox.

We need to score some more runs of that old geezer Burkett.

balboner
06-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Wow, they are crushing Colon. I think he might be injured, as the trainer went out to see him on the mound. Isnt it nice to play versus a team that doesnt even get credit for homers they hit. It's happened to Crede and Mags this year.

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 08:15 PM
What is with this team we get a few runs and we cant get a player on base after that. After the Maggs hit he has retired 9 batters in a row. This guy isnt even that good. like ive said before we cant hit the bad pitchers. :angry:

A.T. Money
06-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Why take a bat up there if you're not going to use it?

How many backward Ks have we had? This sucks.

WhiteSox = Life
06-17-2003, 08:34 PM
Doesn't help when the home plate umpire has the consistency of jell-o.

soxrme
06-17-2003, 08:42 PM
I still do not know why they did not call Maggs hit a home run. Hawk and DJ are all confused. Did the radio guys get an explanation?
And as I said on the Crede home run earlier in the season, WHERE THE HELL IS OUR MANAGER
This is ridiculous.

A.T. Money
06-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Add a couple more backward Ks. I don't think we should take bats up there.

BTW, Burkett has a 20 inch plate.

balboner
06-17-2003, 08:44 PM
With this freaking umpire, you have to swing the F'N bat! And yes, the umpire is Eric Cooper, the same crappy umpire that called Crede's homer foul.

ndgt10
06-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Burkett has struck out 7, 6 of those have been looking.

SoxxoS
06-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Our players have MAJOR problems adjusting to anything baseball related.

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 09:01 PM
THIS IS THE WORST. I hate this guy. This umpire has it out for us. The plate is HUGE i mean it is HUGE. Frank was right to get kicked out of this game. I think MLB is looking for another story The Rex Sox win the pennent will play the "cubbies" in the world series wow the TV ratings will be through the roof for that one. We have to make sure the Red Sox stay close to the Yankees though.

SoxxoS
06-17-2003, 09:14 PM
I have also had enough of Jose Valentin. He can run the bases, and hit the occasional homer. That is about it. He is an automatic out from the right side. He can't play defense. His errors/ lack of hits, aren't worth it anymore.

I would actually love to get Alex Gonzalez at the end of the season. He is reletively cheap, plays good D, and most importantly he is a big time clutch hitter. All things we want and need.

MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 09:18 PM
I dont think I've ever been so relieved to see a new pitcher come out of the opposing team's bullpen

Edit: and I dont think Jerry Manuel could have chosen a worse player to pinch hit in that situation

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Good job Rios.

balboner
06-17-2003, 09:22 PM
For the love of god, is there anything Rios does besides swing out of his ass and hit it to the 2b?

whitesoxwilkes
06-17-2003, 09:23 PM
What happened with the Mags HR that wasn't? I was in the other room...god, does this ump suck!

MRKARNO
06-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
What happened with the Mags HR that wasn't? I was in the other room...god, does this ump suck!

Called a ground rule double. Funny how this is the same crew that took away Crede's homer earlier in the year. They must have it out for the sox

BearSox
06-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Twinkies losing big again to the Royals 13-3, it seems that mentally they're beginnig to lose it, lots of displays of frustration in this game.

doublem23
06-17-2003, 09:39 PM
:putitontheboard

Daubach!

**** YOU, BOSTON!!!

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 09:44 PM
I hope we can have a big 9th when is the last time the Sox did that? Please let us win this one. Seems we never win when the cubs lose.

sox_fan_forever
06-17-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Called a ground rule double. Funny how this is the same crew that took away Crede's homer earlier in the year. They must have it out for the sox

I'm beginning to think that. :angry:

kermittheefrog
06-17-2003, 09:52 PM
DAMNIT!!! They have Timlin on the ropes, Daubach and Jimenez made him throw a ton of pitches; what happens? Swings at the first pitch he sees. Didn't he figure out last year when he was patient and hit the crap out the ball that there might be a correlation between the two? He blew Timlin falling apart. Way to go.

doublem23
06-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Red Sox 7, White Sox 4


Wasted opprotunities.

:angry: :whiner: :whiner: :angry: :angry:

voodoochile
06-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Called a ground rule double. Funny how this is the same crew that took away Crede's homer earlier in the year. They must have it out for the sox

I saw it live and the ump was claiming it hit the padding on the wall and then bounced foul into the seats, thus making it a double. I thought it hit right where the padding and the pole come together, but couldn't tell which it hit first (my gut tells me the pad). It did appear to be the top of the pad (on the yellow). I have no idea if the yellow is a HR or not. Anyone know the ground rules of Soxpark?

jeremyb1
06-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I saw it live and the ump was claiming it hit the padding on the wall and then bounced foul into the seats, thus making it a double. I thought it hit right where the padding and the pole come together, but couldn't tell which it hit first (my gut tells me the pad). It did appear to be the top of the pad (on the yellow). I have no idea if the yellow is a HR or not. Anyone know the ground rules of Soxpark?

the ball definately hit the padding on the top of the wall, hit the foul pole and ricocheted into foul ground. hawk claims that that is a ground rule double since it didn't hit the pole on the fly its not a home run and since it went out of bounds its a ground rule double.

doublem23
06-17-2003, 11:05 PM
If it hit the padding on the top of the wall, wouldn't that be over the yellow line, thus making it a homer anyway?

(I didn't not see the ground-rule double, so I don't know what's up.)

Blueprint1
06-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I believe the Yellow line is a HR but even if it isnt a HR if a ball bounces off the top of the wall and goes over it is a HR not a double. Thats why that bad was a HR. The bounce off the top of the wall and hitting the foul pole is still a HR i cant see how it is not.

FJA
06-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I was sitting right there, and the ball definitely hit right between the pole and the padding. I think it actually might have hit the pole, bounced quickly on the wall, and then foul. Should have been a home run.

jeremyb1
06-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
I believe the Yellow line is a HR but even if it isnt a HR if a ball bounces off the top of the wall and goes over it is a HR not a double. Thats why that bad was a HR. The bounce off the top of the wall and hitting the foul pole is still a HR i cant see how it is not.

that seems logical to me but hawk's explanation seemed to be that the foul pole is in play and not an automatic home run once the ball hits the top of the fence. the ball has to hit the top of the fence and then go over the fence to be a home run and since the ball hit the top of the fence and then landed in foul territory it was a ground rule double.

it seems like a plausable explanation to me because i can't figure out how else the ump would've ruled the ball a ground rule double. there was nowhere else it could've hit and landed in foul territory unless it hit the foul pole on the fly or a fan in the outfield seats in which case obviously the ball would be a home run. the ump must have been clear on the exact path the ball took and the ground rules must state the ball is a double because were he relying only on intuition you'd have to figure he'd assume the ball was a home run as we all have.

cheeses_h_rice
06-18-2003, 08:00 AM
The ball, in order:

1. Hit the top of the fence on the yellow line.

2. Quickly bounced up, ricocheting off the fair pole.

3. And then caromed off toward foul territory, where a fan caught it in the stands.


Hawk's points were that if the ball had just bounced off the wall and "over," it would have been a homer, or if it had hit the fair pole on the fly. But as it was, it should have been called a ground rule double.

I don't really agree with this; if the ball hits the wall, bounces over, and is "blocked" by the fair pole, shouldn't that be a homer, regardless of where it lands?

A.T. Money
06-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I don't really agree with this; if the ball hits the wall, bounces over, and is "blocked" by the fair pole, shouldn't that be a homer, regardless of where it lands?

Yes, because if the poul wasn't there, it would have gone out. The poul is in play, and because the ball hit the poul off the fence, it's a homerun.

voodoochile
06-18-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Yes, because if the poul wasn't there, it would have gone out. The poul is in play, and because the ball hit the poul off the fence, it's a homerun.

The foul pole is in play? Really? So if someone nails a line drive that hits the pole just right and bounces back onto the field, the ball is live and the runner can be thrown out?

A.T. Money
06-18-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
The foul pole is in play? Really? So if someone nails a line drive that hits the pole just right and bounces back onto the field, the ball is live and the runner can be thrown out?

No, that means it is a homerun. In play means that the foul poul is really in fair territory. It's just like if a line drive hits the line. It is a fair ball. Same concept here, except in this case, it is above the wall, meaning that it is a homerun for being above the wall.

There is no possible way that the ball can hit the foul poul without the ball being clearly over the outfield wall, other than it bouncing on the ground first, which then it's clearly a double rule double. In this case however, the ball didn't hit the ground.

jeremyb1
06-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
No, that means it is a homerun. In play means that the foul poul is really in fair territory. It's just like if a line drive hits the line. It is a fair ball. Same concept here, except in this case, it is above the wall, meaning that it is a homerun for being above the wall.

There is no possible way that the ball can hit the foul poul without the ball being clearly over the outfield wall, other than it bouncing on the ground first, which then it's clearly a double rule double. In this case however, the ball didn't hit the ground.

the trib reported that after seeing the replay manuel was convinced it was a home run. in retrospect the problem was most likely that no one on our club had a very good angle at which to view a ball down the right field line from the dugout. it would be very hard to understand what happened without a replay.